_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Caudron G.4 Copper State Models 1/48
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wojewodztwo Wielkopolskie, Poland
KitMaker: 135 posts
AeroScale: 135 posts
Posted: Tuesday, October 11, 2016 - 11:56 PM UTC
So here I am - holding the brand new Copper State Models` wonderful Caudron G.4, which thanks to the courtesy of the guys from Melius Manu (they cooperate with CSM) I am proud to build as the first modeller. (I like the sound of it yeah!) Also many thanks to KrzysiekK, who made that happen.
The model I have are the test frets, therefore it may differ in some minor details from the one that will be sold.
I will get the PE soon, and you will surely know it.

The CSM`s Caudron G.4 is absolutely splendid and now I will point out some of my first thoughts concerning the kit:

1. The wings and their specific construction - which is the hallmark of the G.3 and 4 look magnificent! The texture is superb and the trailling edges are very thin.

2. The nacelle`s fit is very good. The details are sharp. The ejection pin marks are located in such way that no modeller`s intervention is required. The only one there is, is found on the pilot`s seat, where it can be easily removed.

2. The kit`s designers did their best to provide us with a well engineered model. No fit problems, no major filling and sanding. The only part that may require some work is the upper wing, which is made of 3 parts due to technological reasons.

3.The details are crisp, there are some that I really enjoy like the generator and the telegraph in the front cockpit - their quality is superb and there are more to come as the PE parts.

4. Le Rhones 9C look decent, but the true believers would like to have them casted in resin. Who knows maybe the CSM will release the aftermarket Le Rhones 9C. At the back plates of the engines there are small sink marks - which won`t be visible after you install the engine on the model. Also there is a tiny sink mark on one of the props. They are the only ones I found. You need to remember they are the test shots, so I think the kit will not have these issues.

From what I can after a first look - it`s going to be a great model! I`m going to enjoy my build and keep you updated!
I must say I`m thrilled! Great job Edgar and the CSM team!

photo Caudron test 2_zpsh8hs2iu3.jpg

photo Caudron test 3_zpsnlpfhnan.jpg

There are 2 such frets.
 photo Caudron test 4_zpsmce2ocxv.jpg

Just notice the splendid texture of the wings!
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 16, 2016 - 10:41 PM UTC
I finally have something to show you. I started with the Le Rhohes, apart from slightly thick fins of the cylinders they are very good.
I especially like the sparkplugs. I`ve added the pushrods and the wiring. The pictures don`t show the way I weathered them, it was hard for me to take a good picture showing the weathering using the artificial lighting.

Here are the engines after the first coat of primer:
 photo Le Rhone 9C 1_zpsfg2trmex.jpg

photo Le Rhone 9C  2_zpsuomnm8tt.jpg

Finished engines:

photo Le Rhone 9C 3_zpszrfzjvn4.jpg

photo Le Rhone 9C 4_zpsz7bmucok.jpg

photo Le Rhone 9C 5_zpsxm5d7wqx.jpg
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 12:27 AM UTC
Oooh this looks nice!
Looking forward to seeing how it builds.
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, October 17, 2016 - 06:22 PM UTC
Those engines look WONDERFUL!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 19, 2016 - 09:50 PM UTC
Hi Filip

Fantastic work - this looks set to be a real stunner!

All the best

Rowan
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 07:18 PM UTC
Many thanks for your kind comments my friends!

In the meantime I`ve received the test PE sheet. The one you`ll get with the regular model will be slightly different. Now I can focus on the cockpit`s details and the engine nacelles. The PE is rather impressive with all the rigging fixtures! The only thing I think I would add as the PE are the prop bosses.
 photo Caudron PE_zpsu3n0sqe5.jpg

I`ve managed to paint the woodgrain - it`s more subtle than usual. The compass is scratch built. You get one with the kit but I think it`s slightly too small. I`ll try to take better pics later. Unfortunately there are no decals for instruments` faces so since I`m pretty bad at painting them I`ve used some leftovers and Airscale`s decals. You get the instruments` bezels as the PE parts which is very nice IMHO.
The detail I like much is the map holder - I`ve fixed some re-sized printed map.
Using the Green Stuff I`ve tried to model the padded button-leather pilot`s seat

photo Caudron test 5_zps90ifedku.jpg

The fit is outstanding - the first time ever I`ve got the sense of Tamiyagawa quality
The nacelle is fitted just for the pics. In the regular mode the fitl is supposed to be even better since it has been improved.

photo Caudron test 8_zpsjdgh2jry.jpg

photo Caudron test 7_zps6vdoa2nv.jpg

photo Caudron test 9_zpsiqvw29dz.jpg
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 09:51 PM UTC
Looks great.
Is that the pilots pit in the back?
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, October 22, 2016 - 10:49 PM UTC
Yes, exactly, the front one was for the observer.
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, October 28, 2016 - 10:52 PM UTC
Thanks for your kind words they keep me motivated!
I thought things over and my conclusion is that if I`m building a test shot model any modifcations to the kit are slightly pointless since both you as viewers and me - the builder would like to know what can you do OOB. That`s why I got the seat and the pretty nice compass as they were straght from the box.
I couldn` t wait and I`ve painted the tail beams with the surfacer. I really like it that the rubber ropes were reproduced.

I`ve also painted the propellers with a reddish tint, since tha majority of the French props were - to my knowledge - painted this way. Along with the props I`ve glued the nacelles - which as in the case of the fuselage just fell into their places. The only spot where I used the putty was the nacelles front - but it was unnecessary since it will be covered with the PE reproduction of metal panels just the same as in the original Caudrons.

I`ve fixed the engines control levers and added their pull rods (streched sprue). Notice the wireless along with its equipment box - there some nice details there! The manufacterer even remembered about the small folded tables/ arm rests for both the pilot and the observer (they are still unpainted in my model).

So far I cannot recommend this kit enough. I have pure fun bulding it. I expect that the model you`ll get within a few days will be even better. Forgive my enthusiasm but the CSM has made my dream about the G.4 come true and they`ve done it up to the highest standards!
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 01:43 AM UTC
Hi again Filip

More beautiful modelling. With what you're doing to a single nacelle extended across the whole aircraft, your build will be a work of art!

All the best

Rowan
Frigate
_VISITCOMMUNITY
West Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 500 posts
AeroScale: 243 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 29, 2016 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hi Folks,
Just thought I would pass along for any that are interested, I received an e-mail today from CSM that the Caudron G.IV (Late) is indeed available now on their website for ordering. Looks like it will be a jewel !
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 30, 2016 - 12:18 AM UTC
Yes, that`s right:
The Caudron can be ordered directly from the CSM get one before they`ll be sold out http://www.copperstatemodels.com/main/productsCS/1/3 or from the Polish distributor: http://www.meliusmanu.pl/

xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 12, 2016 - 01:22 AM UTC
Hello!

This is another update - maybe not a very spectacular one but I`ve managed to prepare the wings for paintwork. The wing structure is superb IMHO.

Hope to show you something more interesting soon!

I`ve also finished the engine nacelles (with the PE they look very well I think)

SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
AeroScale: 212 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 06:53 PM UTC
Thank you for the link. Nice models they show there. How is the quality in general terms. See they a lot in resin... Latest are all injected plastic?

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Wednesday, November 16, 2016 - 07:19 PM UTC
Just ordered the last Salmson from their site.Very exited about what the postman will bring to my door...
I saw some Salmson kits from Gaspatch and they are awesome. Never seen this one. I like the unknown...

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, November 18, 2016 - 01:17 AM UTC
The "new" Copper State Models focuses mostly on bringing high quality plastic models ans sometimes resin - the "old" ones are the resin models.
When it comes to the Salmson - it`s a new resin kit - I don`t have it in my stash unfortunately but I`ve seen it finished and with a very little effort it builds into a great looking model of an extremely aesthetically pleasing plane.
If you`re asking about the Caudron or the Dolphin - they are very good models IMHO. The fit is better than in the most of Eduard`s WWI subjects - highly recommended.
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, November 21, 2016 - 02:14 AM UTC
This is my attempt on wing pre shading. I`m still in a deep admiration of the beautiful wing structure of the kit. Please share your opinions concerning the shading.
I`m slightly in quandry with these metal panels underneath the engine nacelles. I don`t know whether to leave them metal or to paint them the same as the rest of the fittings. What do you think?

SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Saturday, December 03, 2016 - 05:09 AM UTC
Hi Filip. Yesterday mail was very pleasing. Outstanding quality kits from C.S.M. Just like you I'm going to build the Caudron G.4. But with the Salmson it was a little party. Superb quality resin. The engine is a dream.
Meanwhile I will be following your build with great interest. Looks very good!

Kind regards,

Robert Jan
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 12:28 AM UTC
Long time no see...
Fortunately for me I was able to return to the Caudron.
The engine nacelles - their metal parts are painted with XF 60 lightened up with XF2. The linen covered parts of the nacelles have been brushed with dry pastels, which made them more yellow. And here`s an extremely important question to all of you - should weather the rest of the plane with the pastels (to make them more yellow) or should I leave them as the bottom wing???

The engine cowlings are yet to be painted
I must admit that CSM and Edgar made a good job on the fittings and other PE bits of the kit. I fell in love with the bracing wire mountings (will make some close ups next time) they are a perfect fit and add so much to the model.
I hope to post some updates in much shorter time than this one

PS. the pics just made me realise all the spots that still need some touch ups.

Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:07 AM UTC
Filip,
Fantastic job so far--those engine nacelles look like the real thing in the machined metal cowling-- did you do that or does the kit come that way? Either way it looks very realistic.
VR, Russ
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 01:17 AM UTC
Thanks!
It looks very exaggereted in the pics...
I was just testing the Mr. Metal Color 218.
CaptnTommy
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Connecticut, United States
KitMaker: 424 posts
AeroScale: 389 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 08, 2017 - 10:06 PM UTC
The sheet metal lower wing protection is finished amazingly. Would the Metal have a castor oil sheen and would there still be a staining to the fabric beyong the shield?

awesome work.

Captn Tommy
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 09, 2017 - 12:15 AM UTC
Many thanks!
The metal panel on the wing has also been painted with Mr. Metal Color 218 and polished extensively. I think I`ll add some weathering like castor oil stains but since this is kit isn`t built for my collection I`ll keep the weathering very light.

I`ll be building another one for myself and then I`ll weather it much more
xmald11
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 16, 2017 - 10:12 PM UTC
As promised you didn`t have to wait long for the next update ...
I`ve fixed the engine nacelles and some minor details. I`m really impressed by the PE (I know I`ve said that already but...) Espiecially these tiny bits for the tail booms are great. Now I need to finish shading and painting of the upper wing. I hope to start adding the rigging soon ;D ;D Finally

SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
Posted: Tuesday, January 17, 2017 - 08:52 AM UTC
Absolute nice to watch this build. Mine is still on the shelf. I will try to keep close to this build I think. What is your color choice for the wings and fuselage? I'm planning to mix some Radome with Pale sand to create the 'Ecru' finish.

Robert Jan
 _GOTOTOP