Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/72 Academy B-17E
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 603 posts
AeroScale: 565 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 07:50 PM UTC
This kit has been around for a long time it appears. It looks to be one of the newest repops of a kit released originally in 1989 by Academy/Miniart.

This kit has 5 part trees of a greenish gray color and one clear.

It has one decal sheet with markings for four aircraft including one captured aircraft.

Although the detail on the interior is pretty light it is more than my 1/48 Revell of Germany B-17F. This will be a build for the Kitmaker Network and out of box.

I just love B-17's. Jim thanks for the opportunity.

Joe
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Friday, August 26, 2016 - 08:59 PM UTC
Joe, the basic kit has been around for a while as you said, and this looks like a combination of clear parts (for the nose) from thier B17, C, D, and F kits, all of which are nice-- what's really new is the comprehensive decal sheet-- I have thier B 17 F "Memphis Belle" kit on the bench now, with CMK detail set, but the decal sheet is nowhere near as complete as this one-- one question-- what are the circular discs at the bottom of the decal sheet towards the right side-- they look like decals of the wheel discs with a rivet pattern?
VR Russ
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 07:44 PM UTC
Russ sorry for the late reply. Not sure about what they are I will take a look.

Joe
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 30, 2016 - 10:22 PM UTC
An oldie but good to see it back as most other manufacturers neglect the early fortresses. Do we really need another G? Airfix I'm looking at you.

I may need to pick up one of these. I have decals for Gene Roddenberry's aircraft that I would love to build.

I'll be watching the build with interest.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 05:04 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Me too. I've wanted the D and E but never got around to buying them.

Go Joe!
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 08:54 AM UTC
Many thanks for looking in.

Well the build commenced with the three pieces for the cockpit flooring and the nav station. I needed to take a bit of caution with this as the only way to line it up is to have it interior of the fuselage.

Without:

With:

Next up is to put some color on this and add seats and the instrument panel.

Joe
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 05:52 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Me too. I've wanted the D and E but never got around to buying them.

Go Joe!

The D is a good looking kit Fred.
I picked up the Italeri rebox last year when my LHS had a sale on. Definitely the boxing to get as it has more and better decals. Planning on building mine in RAF colours.
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 03, 2016 - 12:13 AM UTC
Moving right along.

The build up for the nav/cockpit stations was pretty strait forward and with little to no fuss. The main parts received a coat of color.

Work also commenced on the bomb bay. Now with this being closed up, my plan anyway, I am not going to add the bombs. However this was also a very strait forward construction. I then painted it Testors Gloss Grey then Alclad Chrome.

As you can see I did some detail painting on the seats, bomb sight, and the control yokes.

Next up according to the instructions will be the final details for the interior. The turrets, the tail wheel assembly, and the waist gunner positions.

All comments, critiques, and criticism are encouraged.

Joe
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 13, 2016 - 09:22 AM UTC
An update.

Now as this kit has light detail on the interior it is to me more important to spend some time working on the paint and weathering to make up for the interior. To that end I have progressed to the painting stage. As per my normal, at least for the moment, I began the painting prior to the installation of the interior and the closure of the fuselage.

Naked plastic anyone???

I begin with an overall coat of Flat Black. This will provide not only an indication of kit flaws but also a start to the shading and weathering.

The first color is next and with that is a bit of a change for me. I first mix Testors Flat White with Model Master Olive Drab. This is sprayed in some areas within the panels and in others more a random style.

When that was dry to the touch the airbrush was loaded with Model Master Olive Drab and sprayed paying attention to panel lines. In some areas i flowed across the panels to break up the quilting effect.

Although it is tougher to see there is a tone difference and it appears random.

Once dry to the touch the airbrush was loaded with Model Master Neutral Grey and sprayed in several coats. Starting out with a concentrated effort to avoid the panel lines the coats that followed moved closer and closer to the lines. This provided a worn but not worn out look.

All paints were thinned to the consistency of skim milk.

Joe
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 03:57 AM UTC
I was not happy with the earlier pictures.

Round two.

Marginally better.

Now for the sitrep. No pictures.

I have the clear in and started with installing the pit and the bomb bay. Major, major issue. After much frustration it appears that the bulkheads for the bomb bay are too big for the fuselage. Multiple attempts have accomplished nothing other than busting off a few pieces.

After this I plan to try to tackle it again but it appears I will have to make some major adjustments to get it to fit.

The smooth sailing has now entered a major storm.

Joe
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 17, 2016 - 06:31 PM UTC
Hmm, how exactly do you manage to fit the interior in place? Did you leave the fuselage seam unglued at the front or just paint the fuselage halves separately?

Now I don't want to be the Captain Hindsight here, but starting with painting at this early stage is not what I'd usually do. Not only is the paint job at risk of more scuffing from handling, but you'll also almost certainly have to do some touch-up and repainting after sanding and finishing all the seams.

But anyway, it's looking good! I like that variation in the OD.
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, September 20, 2016 - 03:55 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hmm, how exactly do you manage to fit the interior in place? Did you leave the fuselage seam unglued at the front or just paint the fuselage halves separately?

Now I don't want to be the Captain Hindsight here, but starting with painting at this early stage is not what I'd usually do. Not only is the paint job at risk of more scuffing from handling, but you'll also almost certainly have to do some touch-up and repainting after sanding and finishing all the seams.

But anyway, it's looking good! I like that variation in the OD.

I know it is unusual to do builds this way but I have had some success with this method. I paint the fuse halves, touch up the seam after seam work, and then touch up the wing after working on them. I have been doing this to avoid masking out the cut outs that I have made in some of my recent builds.

Joe
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, September 29, 2016 - 03:46 AM UTC
Well after a very hectic period offline here is a bit of an update.

We have wings on. The paint went on smooth and to be honest on the wings there is not much to attend to for a seam. On the tail end though is a different story. Went to attach the tail feathers and ended up with a decent fit at the top but a major gap at the bottom. Honestly it is not the worst I have seen but it is significant to say the least. Looks like stretched spru will be the best option for this.

Pictures....

Topside

Bottom Side

And how about that gap...

More to come folks....

Joe
Photoguy1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 77 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2016 - 10:00 AM UTC
I am a fan of the Academy B-17s except for the Bombardier and Navigator compartment in the nose. The seat for the bombardier is all wrong (yeah I know it's a bad time to bring it up).
Bravo1102
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 2,864 posts
AeroScale: 64 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2016 - 11:55 AM UTC
Very nice. I will have find that boxing. Always wanted to do one of the Midway B-17E from the color footage of the battle.

I have most of the Academy B-17 with a C for a Fortress I, the "Swoose" , " Memphis Belle" and a G.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2016 - 04:50 PM UTC
Looking good!

Quoted Text

And how about that gap...

It could be just me not seeing it, but the pretty much the only gaps I can see in that picture are those between the fuselage and the ailerons, something which I wouldn't go filling. They're control surfaces after all, they need to move.
wing_nut
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,212 posts
AeroScale: 468 posts
Posted: Friday, September 30, 2016 - 07:07 PM UTC
A whole aircraft? Not a "hole" aircraft? Who are you and how did you get Joe's screen name?

Looking good Joe.
Photoguy1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Sunday, October 02, 2016 - 12:02 AM UTC
Here's hoping that they re-release all their B-17s since they made the whole line. Of course though that wouldn't keep me from grabbing up the Airfix when it comes out. If only the Revell/Monogram 1/72nd scale B-17s didn't have the shape problems....
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 07:55 PM UTC
Many many thanks.

Marc it is me I promise. I do these every now and again.

John there are many things about the interior details I could discuss.

Now as for those gaps. Upon further viewing they do not appear as drastic. They are still there and they will need to be dealt with but they are not the canyons I had perceived.

Joe
Photoguy1
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 04, 2016 - 11:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Many many thanks.

Marc it is me I promise. I do these every now and again.

John there are many things about the interior details I could discuss.

Now as for those gaps. Upon further viewing they do not appear as drastic. They are still there and they will need to be dealt with but they are not the canyons I had perceived.

Joe

Oh yeah I know, also some turret problems.

I found decals for the three B-17s that I've flown in (all in "warbird livery rather than actual WW2 aircraft), all "G"s but evidently the Airfix kit will be a really late "G" with the staggered waist positions and the ones that I;ve flown in are earlier so I'll have to see if I want to modify the Airfix kit, just live with it, or get three Academy kits and the CMK interior kit to beef it up. The Academys, as shown by your build can look really nice but they do need some loving care. And of course non-Academy decals.
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, October 09, 2016 - 09:09 AM UTC
It is funny how so many kits get the "cannot be built" title. Any kit can be built. It just may take a bit more patience with some over others.

Joe
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, November 06, 2016 - 10:43 PM UTC
Sorry for such a drought in this.

Had an issue with an air compressor and now waiting on a part.

Back to this soon.

Joe
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, November 26, 2016 - 06:37 PM UTC
After quite a delay she is now glossed and ready for decals. Had to take some time to work the seams. Had some ghost seam lines that showed up. Reapplied the filler and then sanded. Retouching the paint involved remasking for the lines.

Joe
fightnjoe
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, December 06, 2016 - 10:45 AM UTC
Moving along.

This edition is all about the decals. Boy there seemed to be a lot of decals for a bird in 1/72. However they did not go quietly into the night. They actually answered one of the questions that comes each build. How much weathering? This will get some. The tail numbering pulled up when applying the solvent. One dry I seem to be unable to pull them off with masking tape. With that in mind they look more like weathered numbers on a worn bird. I will play to that angle.

So moving forward.

Joe
lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Wednesday, December 07, 2016 - 06:41 AM UTC
Shame about the decal issue but im sure it wont detract come the end. I like the finish so far, Looking really good.
 _GOTOTOP