_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
1/72 F-4K British Phantom
john53
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 01:09 AM UTC
I was going to post this build but last month then my computer crashed. I lost all the build pics on my computer but had saved the majority of them on Flickr.I am building the 1/72 Fujimi F-4K Phantom II of Royal Navy Squadron 767, Yellowbird, plane number 152. I am pretty much at the point I can mask and paint. I will add the horizontal stabilizers after paint.---John
Phantom 19 by jvandeu53, on Flickr
Phantom 20 by jvandeu53, on Flickr
Phantom 21 by jvandeu53, on Flickr
Wolfhound113
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 49 posts
AeroScale: 26 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 03:04 AM UTC
Hi John,

Nice to see one of these. They're really hard to get.

I have a question about the inner-wing pylons. The LAU-17/A missile pylons, with a Sidewinder on either side. Well, seen from the front, on UK aircraft the Sidewinder adapters are angled downwards a bit, whereas on US aircraft they stick out horizontally. (In both cases they are angled slightly downwards, seen from the side.) I discovered this difference when I was building one of the new Academy F-4J's. (Excellent kit by the way.)
Unfortunately on the Academy USN F-4J the Sidewinder adapters are angled down - yep, they're British LAU-17A's. I guess Academy used the F-4J at Duxford as a reference. It's an RAF F-4J only painted up as a USN aircraft.

What are the LAU-17A's on the Fujimi F4K? US or UK?

If they're US-style I won't chop up my Academy ones but save them. They're really, really nice, shame to take the knife to them, and perfect for an F4K or other UK Phantom (if I ever get my hands on one!)
On the other hand, if the Fujimi kit already has UK-style pylons...

Grtz,

Marc
john53
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 78 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 23, 2016 - 05:37 AM UTC
Marc to be honest I have never heard of British LAU-17As with down sloping rails. I believe all weapons in this kit are American as it includes a SUU-23 gun pod, Sidewinder and Sparrow
missiles and drop tanks. The only Sidewinder rails that I have ever seen that were "bent down" and not straight out were those used on the old F-100C Super Sabre, shown below.---John
North American F-100D by jvandeu53, on Flickr
jonvan
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Florida, United States
KitMaker: 170 posts
AeroScale: 109 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 14, 2017 - 09:52 AM UTC
It's finished. I used only the wing tanks and missile rails with no missiles.---John

_GOTOTOP