_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Ancient Farpro Shiun Out of Box - retro blast
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 02:25 AM UTC
Sometimes, my love of esoteric subject matter and my almost perverse addiction to old, cruddy and more-or-less-completely-undesirable kits intersects in a cool, but ultimately painful way. A perfect example of this is when I encountered, and proceeded to snap up, a whole mass of Farpro Japan kits in a (now defunct) local shop.

These are the ancient Aoshima kits, but without the cool box art. That means they’re just dogs with mangy coats, I suppose. Still, the part of me that loves a challenge and roots for the underdog can’t help but want to see these 50+ year old gems built. I’ve already built one, and another will be underway soon. To get a feel for this next project, check out my Out of Box review for the Farpro 1/72 Shiun (Norm) recce floatplane.

Regardless of the badness of the kit, the Norm itself is a cool looking plane, and is rare for Japanese aircraft in that it has a counter-rotating propeller! I could have bought the newer, better and I’m sure less troublesome RS kit, but why, when I have this gem on the shelf!

Check it out here, and then survey your own stash of more modern kits and thank the modelling gods they don’t make ‘em like this any more!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/farpro-japan-172-e15k1-shiun-norm-oob/
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, August 11, 2016 - 04:16 AM UTC
This should be fun! Great review once again Adam.

Quoted Text

I guess it’s a question of whether you see that the glass is half-empty or just half-formed

Or is the glass completely full of warm stale beer but you will drink it anyway?

Cheers, D
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 17, 2016 - 01:27 AM UTC
Yeah... that's a lot more like what it is, actually.

I think it's going to take more than half a beer to finish this little monster!
 _GOTOTOP