_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 Tu-2S WIP
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:52 PM UTC
This weekend I made some cleanup in the stash and realised that I might have an "issue". If You look at the picture below You will know what I mean. For some reason there seems to be quite a few twin engined planes in the stash and some of them them of basically the same configuration. But that must be a coincidence...theres definitely nothing wrong with me right? Ok less talk, more action. The first one will be the Tu-2S from Xungtong. There has been already a lot written about this kit but it seems that there are not that many WIP articles out there. So let see how this will go.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 28, 2016 - 12:16 AM UTC
Hi Naseby

Nice one! I've not seen a build of this, so I'll be following. I've got their Tu-2T buried somewhere.

All the best

Rowan
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 11:54 PM UTC
Well the AM stuff arrived so I started the assembly. First are the engines, which should present the ASh-82FN I suppose, but the details arent that good. I will not be opening the engine covers and so they will be basically not visible. Before I run to the interiour I decided to fix one of the major issues of the kit - the shape of the nose. The plastic in this part is rather thick so I was able to file the nose down a bit to make it look more "flat". Its still not 100%, but optically the difference to the original is less obvious now.

Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, August 08, 2016 - 09:45 PM UTC
Interesting model, never heard of the firm. How are the kit parts in detail and fit?

gr TC
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 02:28 PM UTC
Hello Lars. To be honest, the kit does barely match current standards. Im also working on the 1990s TBF Avenger from Accurate Miniatures and the Tupolev is not even close to that 20+ years old kit.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 09, 2016 - 03:13 PM UTC
Definitely following your build here Naseby, very interesting kit.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 10, 2016 - 12:50 AM UTC
Naseby,
I'm following Damian right to the subscribe tab. I'm not remotely literate on Russian aircraft, and like Lars, haven't ever heard of this manufacturer before. With you at the helm I'm quite sure it's going to be a most enlightening build to follow.

BTW, I seem to have the same affliction as you do to twin engine aircraft. Lets see, I've built the P-61, PV-1, B-25, P-38, and now the Mossie is on the workbench. Oh yeah, the few Jets I've built along the way also have twin engines: F4-B, F-15C, & A6-E.

Maybe after this build you'll consider that A20 rebox. I can't remember the last Time I've seen one built.

Joel
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 12:29 AM UTC
Thanks for the possitive feedback. I hope I will be able to keep this atleast a bit interesting.

@ Joel, I believe we do have a lot of common interest in subjects. I have been stashing a lot of VN stuff lately in 1/48, the new Phanthom from Academy, Skyraider, Thunderchief and Crusader to name a few and the Intruder is on the radar..

So the interiour on this one is preaty basic. I added the PE from Eduard but as You can see there will be more needed since both the cockpit and the rear-gunners position are nicely visible through the canopy. I had to carve out the pilots seat to make it deeper and also thinner its walls. The "pipe" sticking out of the floor next-to the pilots seat is the bombsight which also need a bit alteration. Oh, and there are a lot of ejection marks in interiour which are extremely difficult to remove.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 02:15 AM UTC
Naseby,
I'm just amazed at all that PE. You've really got a handle on it. Those foot pedals and straps are just outstanding.

I truly struggle with PE and usually end up gluing the parts to my fingers, not the model.

Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, August 15, 2016 - 10:49 AM UTC
Naseby,
Those added PE details really add some pizaazz to the cockpit! I don't know mush about many Red aircraft, but I reckon I'll learn a bit following your build.

Gaz
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 05:31 PM UTC
So with my usuall snail tempo here is the next update. The interiour is nearly done so I will be closing the fuselage soon. The bomb bay will not be opened on this one since I havent found any good pictures of it and what is in the kit is not nearly sufficient. I was going for stronger contrast of colours since the canopy will be closed. But the colours of the interious are in reality a bit more subtle then in the photography. Especially the green pilots seat. One intersting thing is that the second person in the cockpit, sitting right behind the pilot was fulfilling the duties of the navigator, bombardier and rear-gunner at the same time. That doesnt look like a good idea for a medium bomber configuration. I dont even think he had harness on his "seat", I atleast havent found any pictures showing them.

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 31, 2016 - 11:00 PM UTC
Naseby,
Your snail-pace yields nice results!

Gaz
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, September 01, 2016 - 02:42 AM UTC
Naseby,
Progress is progress no matter at the speed one gets to that point. Your interior is shaping up nicely. It's hard to believe that they wouldn't have at least put a seatbelt onto the 2nd seat. How would they expect him stay put while he does all those varied tasks with aircraft bouncing all over the place.
Joel
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Thursday, September 08, 2016 - 01:57 AM UTC
That cockpit is really very nice
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Friday, September 09, 2016 - 11:46 PM UTC
Thank You all for the comments! The fuselage will be closed shortly and then comes the not so funny part - fixing of the nose profil.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, September 10, 2016 - 01:16 AM UTC
Hi Naseby

Lovely work on the interior. This is a kit we haven't seen much of on Aeroscale, so it's great to see one underway.

All the best

Rowan
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Thursday, February 23, 2017 - 09:39 PM UTC
Im sorry I didnt post anything since last Year. Truth is that I have a new "Project" I need to take care of litteraly. Here is the picture of the project which will probably be a long term ongoing thing from now on so next update on the Tu-2 can take some time as You can probably understand

thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 - 05:02 AM UTC
Best project of all

Terri
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 - 06:37 AM UTC
Nasby,
Great long term project for sure. And must be smart as they come. At his(?)age, already able to watch animated tv shows, and no doubt understand them.

BTW, just to make you feel even better, our "long term project" will be turning 30 this Oct., and still is with us.

Joel
warmonger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 - 06:34 PM UTC
The Snowberry shouldn't take that long. Just kidding. Little ones do tend to slow things down quite a bit. Congrats.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 - 09:13 PM UTC
Congrats on that project, Naseby! And the hands are already on a kit. That's perfect! The scale modelling scene always needs new blood. Well done!

Torsten
rdt1953
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,098 posts
AeroScale: 900 posts
Posted: Friday, February 24, 2017 - 11:10 PM UTC
Naseby-

It seems you do wonderful work ! My guess is you had some help on this latest
" project " - well done to both of you !

I'm going to mimic Joel a bit here - I have two similar projects - one My wife and I started 30 years ago and about to be married off and another we started 27 years ago and hopefully will not be too far behind her sister in the marriage department.

All my best to you and yours and enjoy the journey ! - Richard
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Monday, February 27, 2017 - 12:14 AM UTC
Thanks to all for the supporting words. Im already trying to get my son familiar with our hobby mostly by showing him all sorts of stuff I have in the stash or by taking him along with me to the LHS to buy more stuff I will have no time to build
 _GOTOTOP