Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Fassburg Flyer
bbronov
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 28 posts
AeroScale: 25 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 10:31 AM UTC
Well, this is a little outside my comfort zone, primarily building Cold War jets up to modern...jets. So, in an effort to broaden my horizons a bit, have a look at the newer offerings by Airfix, and begin a long-delayed series of airlift aircraft (a soft spot of mine; I spent 25 years on heavies in the USAF). I also wanted to stay within the confines of the operational life of the USAF, so the Berlin Airlift seemed like a great place to start.

Airfix has been busy lately releasing a number of very welcomed subjects, and all newly tooled. This is my first build of a recent Airfix, and I've got to say I'm impressed. The fit has been amazing and the detail more than adequate for most purposes...granted, I've only just begun, but it's looking good so far. The biggest complaints I’ve had are that the fit of the interior bulkheads have been a little sloppy, and that there is a curious surface texture on most of the major exterior parts that needs to be knocked down if one is interested in applying a metallic finish. I’m not sure if this is an artifact of the process used to create the tooling or intentional, but it did require a couple of coats of Dutch Boy Acrylic primer and a couple of hours with 3200 grit sanding pads to knock down. 

As is usually the case with these projects, it was a decal sheet that piqued my interest in the particular airframe I settled on. The war horse I settled on was the Fassburg Flyer, a tired, beat-up pack mule from WWII that participated in the Berlin Airlift. One of the things that attracted me to this project was the chance to practice some of the skills I’ve been neglecting most of my modeling career; realistic weathering. This seems to be a thing these days, and with all the literature available and the products to make the job easier, I couldn’t say no…plus I could finally draw on some of my ‘corporate knowledge’ from my career in aviation.

So, what follows will be another attempt to capture the high points of this project, photograph them in a passible manner, and write about it so as not to embarrass myself. As I mentioned, I’m using the Airfix C-47 (masquerading as Dakota Mk.IV) and as much Eduard PE as I could jam into it. I purchased the Big Ed set, which includes the self adhesive pre-painted interior set (a concept I’m not entirely sold on), pre-painted troop seat seatbelts, interior details, exterior details, exterior surface panels, and a set of painting masks. Also purchased was the Quickboost resin exhausts, engines, and intake scoops. The decals are from Icarus Designs and represent a number of Berlin Airlift participants, and looks good on the sheet.

The Eduard pre-painted cockpit items are great, and really look the part. It's doubtful, however, that much of that detail will be seen without the benefit of a penlight and a dental mirror.

One of the biggest challenges in this project, I think, is replicating the look of a well-used aircraft that didn't have a lot of down time for cosmetic maintenance. The few photos I've seen of this aircraft show a number of colors on the exterior, and those areas that still retained the original color were very faded. Also, there was a predictable amount of paint chipping and general wear. I needed to bring this inside in a believable manner, keeping in mind that since its was the interior where all the 'action' occurred it follows that the majority of the wear would be concentrated there. To duplicate this wear, I first painted everything Testors Metalizer Aluminum Plate, followed with Vallejo Chipping Medium, and then Interior Green or Black, as appropriate. Areas that were to be distressed were moistened with water, and roughed up with a stiff bristle brush. This created a flaked appearance, rather than a scratched appearance. I also used 1200 grit wet and dry to simulate abrasion wear in those areas most prone it; troop seats and cargo floor.

I also dirtied things up with a wash of burnt sienna oil paint and some Mig weathering washes and filters. After the initial weathering, I added the sidewall seating seatbelt, assembled the bulkheads to the cargo floor, and had a final session with oils to unify the look.

More to come as time allows....and, as always, your suggestions are welcomed...especially since I'm way outside my area of expertise.
bbronov
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 08:06 AM UTC
Quick update. My original gushing of spectacular fit may have been somewhat premature. The interior parts all seemed to fit fairly well, though a bit sloppy...and all seemed to fit respectably into each fuselage half. But when the halves were brought together, not so much. The method of ensuring the cargo floor and interior bulkheads maintained a positive index within the fuselage halves works pretty well...there's no doubt about whether or not everything is where it should be, but the fit is so precise that there's no room for any kind of out of dimension slop. Near as i can tell, the aft portion of the interior floor is about .5mm too wide, and caused a gap in the after portion of the fuselage. This is then transferred to the center wing assembly, which relies on a fairly precise fit to create what must be a nearly invisible seam. Again, not so much, in my case....then there's the wing spar. Well designed to ensure it's installed correctly, but the upper wind sections use its vertical orientation to help index to the fuselage and lower wing assembly. Anything other than 90 degrees makes for a difficult join. So, the take-away from all this is make sure everything fits before cementing anything. Most kits allow for some degree of builder-induced error...this one does not. I'm guess that's the blessing/curse of CAD designed tooling.

Also started the Eduard landing flaps. Wow. Look great (in theory), but I've yet to find a really good way of gluing them up so that they have any kind of strength, but remained free of a ton of cyano. Gator Glue works for some things, but is pretty thick and difficult to hide in such fine etchings. I'd love to solder everything together, but I don't even know if that would work on such a small scale...it has got me thinking about a resistance soldering outfit, though. Instead of dropping 300 bucks on a soldering set, I thought maybe I'd just try scratch building the components out of .01 styrene sheet and see how they compare to the etched bits.

I'm already reaching the point of frustration where a new project is sounding appealing, but I'll keep at it.

photos to come....
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 02, 2016 - 09:55 AM UTC
Hi Brad,

Good to see a C-47 in the works. Your's is looking good. That panel - splendid.

If the fuselage is not together yet and you want to add a few goodies rarely seen in DC-3/C-47 kits, you can add the landing gear lever, the l/g lock, and the cowl flap controls.

The gear lever is a big honkin' piece of pipe with a slight step in it (up or down, I do not recall) that fits into the hall wall just behind the copilot.

The gear lock is a small (about the size of the throttles IIRC) mounted perfectly on the floor in the way of the pilot, kinda between the front-right corner of his seat and the engines/props/mixtures controls; the cowl flap gizmos would be just under the canopy combing on the side of the cockpit on the copilot's side. IIRC, they would be well simulated with a pair of sprue tabs. (The lil' rascals in the red circles.)

bbronov
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, August 03, 2016 - 01:10 AM UTC
Dammit! You caught me a bit late (though, I did consider cracking the fuselage open to correct the floor width). Thanks for the idea, I hadn't considered those ejection tabs to be anything beyond a necessary annoyance. Based on what I can see with the fuselage closed up, however, I doubt that my efforts would have been rewarded much in 72nd scale.
 _GOTOTOP