_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Revell 1/32nd scale Spitfire
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
AeroScale: 1,072 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 02:36 AM UTC
starting the Revell Spitfire, here it is so far, I have cut the tension seat belt hole in the seat and added a few little bits to the side walls.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 02:40 AM UTC
more to come soon, i am pretty excited to get into this build now that I have done the 1/48th Tamiya Spitfire, i think that overall this kit is very nice and for the price it can't be beat in this large scale. I will add a lot of detail to the cockpit as I go and now that I am armed with some more knowledge from Jessica C. and lots of reference on the plane I am ready to go.
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 03:50 AM UTC
Doug
Looking forward to following your build thread. I've have two 1/32 Spitfires in the display case the the Revell kit in the stash. I'll be taking notes for my build down the road.
Keep 'em coming
Peter
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 04:05 AM UTC
Looking good so far, it is a lovely kit.
I shall be watching your build with interest Doug, as my Revell Spitfire stalled a way back and I hope this thread gets the juices flowing again to finish it.
Andy
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 - 03:18 AM UTC
adding detail to the cockpit walls and bulkheads

lespauljames
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 3,661 posts
AeroScale: 369 posts
Posted: Friday, July 22, 2016 - 09:36 AM UTC
Doug, very nice work so far, ill look forward to this build progressing !
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 23, 2016 - 07:00 AM UTC
started the paint

DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 12:30 AM UTC
IP
I have taken the decal instruments and cut them out one by one with a Waldron punch set, and set them into the IP.

Kendzior
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 96 posts
AeroScale: 91 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 03:29 AM UTC

Unbelievable. That is the right word. First I saw this I thought: Yahu. But that's much much better than Yahu, it is a state of art. Keep it up!
Best
Hubert
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 11:49 AM UTC
Looking good Doug

If its not too late some info about the seat; If you are building a MkII its unlikely that there would have been a flare rack attached to it. The seat, by this time was of a composite material and was as you have painted it, but the seat back had a padded dark brown/black leather cover, with vertical stitching. There should also be a sheat of armour behind the seat.
Here is my attempt to re-create these details, the seat back still needs a little sanding. I used model filler but Milliput would be better?

Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 24, 2016 - 01:48 PM UTC
Hi Doug,

Awesome detailing work - will be following along for sure.

Looking forward to the next update.

Regards,
Kobus
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 05:58 AM UTC
some of the cockpit put together, still studying the seat for the MK II A, but it will need to be done before I go any further, so will post progress soon on that.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 06:23 AM UTC
so what I have decided on the seat is to do the armor plate, back cushion, and leave the flare holders, as this is an A model Mk II as in the picture. More to come soon.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 12:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

so what I have decided on the seat is to do the armor plate, back cushion, and leave the flare holders, as this is an A model Mk II as in the picture. More to come soon.

Good call Doug (I'm still not sure about the flare rack? But that is just me though )

Oh, one other thing. You will be told by many that the crow bar clipped in the door was never painted red but I have recently been told by no less than Geoffrey Wellum (The youngest pilot to fly Spitfires during the Battle of Britain) That they were indeed painted red, because they were a piece of safety equipment!

When I asked the question about the colour he asked me what colour these "experts" reckoned they were and when I told him "black or natural metal" he sipmly said "B******s! They were painted red, and they were painted red on every Spitfire that I flew". He then told me about what they were used for and that was why they were painted red.

DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 05:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Good call Doug (I'm still not sure about the flare rack? But that is just me though )

Oh, one other thing. You will be told by many that the crow bar clipped in the door was never painted red but I have recently been told by no less than Geoffrey Wellum (The youngest pilot to fly Spitfires during the Battle of Britain) That they were indeed painted red, because they were a piece of safety equipment!

When I asked the question about the colour he asked me what colour these "experts" reckoned they were and when I told him "black or natural metal" he sipmly said "B******s! They were painted red, and they were painted red on every Spitfire that I flew". He then told me about what they were used for and that was why they were painted red.

Yes the flare rack is a point of confusion for me too, but because I am doing an early Mk II I feel that it could be fitted or not you kind of have a choice, and all the reference I can find the majority have the rack, I know that in a lot of cases they are restored planes so this also must be taken with a grain of salt but I sway toward inclusion. I am an aircraft mechanic and have been for 30 years and one thing I can say is that you can never say never or always.

thanks for the info on the crow bar, that is better than any picture for sure.
Regards
Doug
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, July 25, 2016 - 07:51 PM UTC
Hi Mal

As with so many things, I guess it depend who you talk to. Some years back, Edgar Brooks posted over on The Aviation Forum:

Quoted Text

Fittings, for crowbars, were installed, on the I & II, from February, 1941, and the crowbars, themselves, were factory-fitted from January, 1942 (mods 320 & 483 apply.) I read (somewhere!) that the positioning of the stencils depended on the factory, and the Pilot's notes seem to bear this out, with Spitfires generally having two stencils readable up or down, with Seafires having a single stencil readable from the side. At a model show, many years ago, a man (obviously an ex-pilot) commented to me "All these lovely Spitfire models, but, you know, all the time that I was flying I never saw a red crowbar; green, black, or silver, never red."
Edgar

There are a couple of clear shots (unfortunately both of the same airframe) in Roger Freeman's collection of wartime colour photos of the RAF where the crowbar looks black or "gunmetal".

It's also interesting that it's by no means unknown to see the fittings empty in period photos. I'd have thought anyone removing a piece of safety equipment would face a rocket if caught.

All the best

Rowan
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 11:24 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Mal

As with so many things, I guess it depend who you talk to. Some years back, Edgar Brooks posted over on The Aviation Forum:

Yep, I know and I spoke to Edgar specifically about Geoffrey Wellums Spitfire. He told me that Spitfires at that time would have all been retrofitted with the select mechanism for the undercarriage retraction. When I spoke to Mr Wellum I asked him about the passage in his book that describes "pumping" up the undercarriage, he confirmed that K9998 did indeed still have the pump mechanism. Edgar agreed that If a pilot of the machine/s said something was so then it was! So as much as I respect Edgars knowledge I will,as he would have, go with Mr Wellum on this Before someone says that he is 95 and his memory won't be what it was, I can assure you that he is as sharp as a new pin, especially where Spitfires are concerned
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 07:36 PM UTC
Hi Mal

That's precisely my point - Edgar was quoting another pilot. So we have one who says "always red", but another saying "never red" in their experience. Faced with contradictions like this, there probably isn't a single definitive answer.

It's just like with camouflage etc. - what always strikes me as sad is that our generation of modellers are only now asking questions on a level of detail that was largely missing 50-odd years ago when it would have been so much easier to get to the bottom of things. For instance, my teacher at primary school had worked on a Mosquito production line, but I doubt that her experiences were ever recorded properly. There could have been countless useful nuggets in her recollections if only someone had asked...

Anyway - enough about crowbars! Sorry, Doug - I complete forgot to say what a great build this is!

One thing I would do, though, if there's still time... extend the aluminium behind the seat bulkhead to include the bottom of the fuselage. The Spitfire didn't have a "floor" as such, so it wouldn't have been painted separately from the rest of the area.

All the best

Rowan
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 26, 2016 - 09:52 PM UTC
Doug,

I just found your build blog, and I'm coming along for the ride. As Mal would say, one just can't have enough Spitfires.

Love your cockpit detailing, just enough to kick it up a few notches, but not so much as to confuse the viewer with lines and cables going everywhere. Are the cable clamps Aluminum tape, they do look quite good? Very nicely painted and weathered, for a most convincing look.

Joel

DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 02:11 AM UTC
the clamps are just strips of metal foil super glued to the pipes and such
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 02:30 AM UTC
sutton harness is now ready, I made it out of paper because the metal etched ones in 1/32nd scale just look to thin to me and do not look like fabric and it is a very simple pattern anyway.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 04:05 AM UTC
Doug,
The Sutton Harness really looks quite good. I've never seen one made from paper before. Now that's impressive.
Joel
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 12:25 PM UTC
Doug, that Sutton harness looks the business The rear fixing straps don't go through the hole in the seat (that is a hand hold for lifting it in and out, they go over the seat back and are fixed to the floor, or a cross member.

I use printed harnesses on my 1/72 scale builds

Quoted Text

Hi Mal

That's precisely my point - Edgar was quoting another pilot. So we have one who says "always red", but another saying "never red" in their experience. Faced with contradictions like this, there probably isn't a single definitive answer.

Hi Rowan,
Also my point, Edgar doesn't name the "pilot" that told him this, I am talking about a Pilot from the Battle of Britain. I do agree that there isn't one definitive answer but, like I said, Edgar agreed with me that if a pilot such as Geaoffrey Wellum said it was so then it was! I will go with that, rather than an unknown entity.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:21 PM UTC
Doug, that Sutton harness looks the business The rear fixing straps don't go through the hole in the seat (that is a hand hold for lifting it in and out, they go over the seat back and are fixed to the floor, or a cross member.

Hello Mal
I can not find any pictures of the Sutton Harness in a Spitfire, I did find a shot of one in a Hurricane and it is routed as I have it here. Do you have any photos of the real thing in a Spit, I can find lots of pictures of other models that have it the way I have it. Not doubting you just would like to see it before I go do all the work to change it you know.

Thanks
Doug
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 27, 2016 - 11:39 PM UTC
The photos I've found don't seem to show that secondary harness part; just the main straps.
 _GOTOTOP