World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 scale Tamiya Mosquito Mk VI
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 01:17 AM UTC
Since I've returned to plastic scale modeling over 7 years ago, I've built one model right after another, with several even started on the same day as the completed model was finished. I've slowly felt my "Mojo" decreasing lately with each completed model, till it just about hit bottom at the end of the 1/48 scale B-25B Mitchell build. I thought that a change of scale, and a few simple builds would once again get me back on course, but it turned out to be the exact opposite. So I decided to take off several weeks from modeling, and even cutting back on the time I spend on the two model sites I frequent.

That vacation period has really helped. It also afforded me the time to re-evaluate what I really wanted to build, and what my focus should be.

Back in the 70's, I was a dedicated IPMS regional and National contest type of guy, competing in both aircraft and car categories. I finally came to realize that I really enjoyed the compeititon side of the hobby way more then I had admitted to myself. When I got back into Modeling I wasn't sure I had the skills anymore, nor was I sure that I could master enough of the newer and more complex skills to be competitive once again, so I've avoided any and all local, regional, and even national contests.

But now that just seems like the additional focus I need to push myself to consistantly build to the present level I model at. I'll admit that I found it all to easy, especially at the end of a long build to rush to completion, or to accept work that isn't up to the standards of the rest of the build.

I also realized that at least for me, there has to be some kind of balance from what I do with my free time other then just plastic scale modeling, especially now being semi retired, and full retirement on 12/31/2017 (if I last that long at work). I've also found those balances, and they've helped to rekindle my modeling Mojo.

With my new ATTITUDE in mind, I'm focused on entering one or two categories at the IPMS Region 1 Noreastcon in Batavia New York next May 2017. My Goal isn't to win or admit defeat, but to enter the very best model or two I'm capable of building. No more self induced pressure this time around. My best is good enough for me.

OK, enough on the background to this build. My 1st entry will be for the 1/48 scale multi prop category. I decided on a personal favorite aircraft from my brothren across the pond: The DeHavilland Mosquito Mk VI. The kit selected will be Tamiya's updated kit that was originally released 1998. The current release has updated parts and some rather nice decals.

The following After Market parts will be used in the build:
4086 1:48 Aires Mosquito FB Mk.VI / NF Mk.II cockpit set
ECL48168 1:48 Eagle Editions Mosquito FB Mk.VI Decals
ULT48045 1:48 Ultracast De Havilland Mosquito Tail Wheel Assembly (TAM kit)
EDUEX029 1:48 Eduard Mask - Mosquito FB Mk VI/NF Mk II (TAM kit)
ULT48047 1:48 Ultracast De Havilland Mosquito Flame Dampening Exhaust Shrouds (TAM kit)
ULT48247 1:48 Ultracast De Havilland Mosquito Standard Wheels (Block Tread)
ULT48034 1:48 Ultracast De Havilland Mosquito Control Surfaces
MAM48111 1/48 De Havilland Mosquito NF Mk. II / FB Mk. VI Pitot Tube & Armament Set (Browning .303 barrels and Hispano 20mm barrel tips)

There just isn't any way that I could justify spending much more on AM parts, and there are alot more costing a few hundred or so.

I decided that I rather leave both the top nose .303 Browning gun compartment, and the bottom Hispano 20mm canon compartments closed. The bomb bay consists of two separte sections, the actual bomb bay, and foward of that in a separate compartment the Hispano canons and ammunition. To replicate this correctly would require the Aires AM bomb bay that costs $70. I'm going to model the canon bay closed, but the bomb bay opened. Well, at least that's the plan for now.

My 1st thoughts about the various flying surfaces was to drop the flaps, one Aileron up, and the other down, both elevators down, and the rudder slightly off center. Research has shown not a single Mosquito parked had this confuration, only the Elevators slightly down, and the rudder if at all slightly off center. So that's how I'll proceed.

I've just started modifying the cockpit halves for the Aires cockpit, but there hasn't been enough done yet for my 1st build post.

Joel

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 02:14 AM UTC
Nice one Joel!

I'm looking forward to following this - I love the Mossie. Reviewing Pt. 1 of Valiant Wings' reference work almost had me tempted to go ferreting in The Stash - but, with so many projects already underway, common sense prevailed (for now, at least...)

All the best

Rowan
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 10:58 AM UTC
Joel,
Glad to see you back at it! ...for whatever reason that morivates you. That's an impressive bit of AM.

I' ll be glad to follow along.

Gaz
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 03:43 PM UTC
Hummm. Reminds me of an old song

I'm back in the saddle again
Out where a friend is a friend
Where the longhorn cattle feed
On the lowly Jimson weed
Back in the saddle again

Ridin' the range once more
Totin' my old 44
Where you sleep out every night
And the only law is right
Back in the saddle again

Whoopi-ty-aye-oh
Rockin' to and fro
Back in the saddle again
Whoopi-ty-aye-yay
I go my way
Back in the saddle again

On the lowly Jimson weed
Back in the saddle again

Totin' my old 44
Back in the saddle again

Whoopi-ty-aye-oh
Rockin' to and fro
Back in the saddle again
Whoopi-ty-aye-yay
I go my way
Back in the saddle again

KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 05:34 PM UTC
I very much look forward to following your progress with this build Joel. The Mossie is a favourite of mine also and I've toyed with the idea of one being my next project.

If you don't mind me hijacking your thread so early, I'm looking for a bit of help in the Mosquito research area for my Lancaster build. If you or anyone else following the build has any good reference for the central fuel tanks above the bomb bay I'd be indebted. ( maybe message me and not clutter up this fine topic any further !)
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 07:26 PM UTC
Glad to see another of your projects Joel.

Modeler burnout is a real issue. Like all other things we do on a daily basis (routine at least) we can get exhausted and plain empty from doing it after some time, so a break in routines usually helps to get that mojo and motivation back.

Gonna follow your thread as usual, regardless of the sheer amount of AM you've mentioned!

Cheers
Pedro
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 08:16 PM UTC
Joe,

good luck with your build and holding on to the joys it can bring. In my life I have had 3 modelling era's so far and all ended sometimes just to be rekindled. One thing I learned is that the only thing you must do is that what you want to do. Sounds easy but it aint.. Set your goals to high and you will get frustrated, put them too low and the same.
I guess the only thing you have to to have is holding the kit box in your hand and see the thing finished and trying to replicate your fantasy. I would say good luck and welcome back :-).

gr TC
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:03 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Nice one Joel!

I'm looking forward to following this - I love the Mossie. Reviewing Pt. 1 of Valiant Wings' reference work almost had me tempted to go ferreting in The Stash - but, with so many projects already underway, common sense prevailed (for now, at least...)

All the best

Rowan

Rowan,
So very glad you're coming along for the ride on this one.

There is so much research material out there now on the MOssie, it's insane

My goals are really simple:
Build the absolute best Mossie I can with 100% perfect basics.

Added AM detail to me is just enhancing, not detailing as I didn't make a thing, just shoe horned in the parts. Detailing some of the resin, and adding some of my own detailing to the same standards as the rest of the build. There is one or two areas I'm planning on detailing rather then buying CMK resin.

Joel

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel,
Glad to see you back at it! ...for whatever reason that morivates you. That's an impressive bit of AM.

I' ll be glad to follow along.

Gaz

Gary,
Thanks. This last hiatus was only a few weeks, the one before it was 35 years

While that list of AM looks impressive, most of it is replaces kit parts that aren't correctable like the exhaust suppressors. Tamiya's kit ones aren't close. Honest the Aires cockpit is way better then anything I could ever hope to replicate. Now Chuck could do a way better job, but I'm not in his class by a long shot. One look at Ultracast's tire side wall detail, and it was also a no brainer. MA Brass machine guns and canons have set the standards so high that I couldn't see not using them for this all all future WWII builds. Of course the Eduard canopy greenhouse masks takes a monumental task and turns it into a hour or so of pleasant modeling.

I'm sure I'm going to run into all sorts of problems and issues, but that's what I'm counting on you guys for. After all, Aeroscale has an rather extensive list of master modelers more then willing to help an old, half blind old man.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:24 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hummm. Reminds me of an old song

On the lowly Jimson weed
Back in the saddle again

Totin' my old 44
Back in the saddle again

Whoopi-ty-aye-oh
Rockin' to and fro
Back in the saddle again
Whoopi-ty-aye-yay
I go my way
Back in the saddle again

On the lowly Jimson weed
Back in the saddle again

Totin' my old 44
Back in the saddle again

Whoopi-ty-aye-oh
Rockin' to and fro
Back in the saddle again
Whoopi-ty-aye-yay
I go my way
Back in the saddle again

Brian,
Wow! Gene Autry's famous signature song. I loved it since I was a kid in the 50's, as cowboy tv series were all the rage. Going to make it the Official Mossie Build theme song, and you get full credit. I'm pretty sure that one on Aeroscale has had a dedicated theme song before.

And I'm so glad that once again you're along for the journey no matter where it may led.

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I very much look forward to following your progress with this build Joel. The Mossie is a favourite of mine also and I've toyed with the idea of one being my next project.

If you don't mind me hijacking your thread so early, I'm looking for a bit of help in the Mosquito research area for my Lancaster build. If you or anyone else following the build has any good reference for the central fuel tanks above the bomb bay I'd be indebted. ( maybe message me and not clutter up this fine topic any further !)

Paul,
Just love your Lancaster build. I only hope my Mossie comes close to the high standards of your build. I do plan on "borrowing" a few of your techniques.

Wish I had the answer to your question, but the bomb bay tanks are molded into both sections of the bomb bay, and I'm not so sure that Tamiya got that right, as I what I've seen so far doesn't show them extending over the canon area as they did in the Mk IV bomber version. I've read that a few modelers felt that there was a smaller version of those twin tanks. What type of info are you looking for?

Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:34 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Glad to see another of your projects Joel.

Modeler burnout is a real issue. Like all other things we do on a daily basis (routine at least) we can get exhausted and plain empty from doing it after some time, so a break in routines usually helps to get that mojo and motivation back.

Gonna follow your thread as usual, regardless of the sheer amount of AM you've mentioned!

Cheers
Pedro

Pedro,
Thanks so much for those most encouraging words. Glad that you'll be along for the ride.
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 09:37 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joe,

good luck with your build and holding on to the joys it can bring. In my life I have had 3 modelling era's so far and all ended sometimes just to be rekindled. One thing I learned is that the only thing you must do is that what you want to do. Sounds easy but it aint.. Set your goals to high and you will get frustrated, put them too low and the same.
I guess the only thing you have to to have is holding the kit box in your hand and see the thing finished and trying to replicate your fantasy. I would say good luck and welcome back :-).

gr TC

Lars,
Thanks so much for your insight, it's much appreciated. The Mossie kit, even though it's close to, but not up to Tamiya's current standards, in my chosen scale of 1/48, it's still the cream of the crop.

Welcome to the build blog.

Joel
Joel
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 09:54 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Paul,
Just love your Lancaster build. I only hope my Mossie comes close to the high standards of your build. I do plan on "borrowing" a few of your techniques.

Wish I had the answer to your question, but the bomb bay tanks are molded into both sections of the bomb bay, and I'm not so sure that Tamiya got that right, as I what I've seen so far doesn't show them extending over the canon area as they did in the Mk IV bomber version. I've read that a few modelers felt that there was a smaller version of those twin tanks. What type of info are you looking for?

Joel

Thanks Joel, you're too kind!
The information I have to go on is very sketchy so I'm having to assume that the tanks in question are the ones housed in the fuselage. Ideally I'm looking for some photos of them stripped out of the plane if you happen to come across such a thing so I can see them clearly and get a sense of scale.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 11:55 AM UTC
I'm on board for this ride Joel, always enjoy and get a lot out of your builds mate!

Besides that, I just love the heavy twin fighters, with the Mossie and Beau right up there with the P-61 and 110 in my book.

Best of luck with the build, I really hope it gives you everything you need right now.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 08:56 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Paul,

Joel

Thanks Joel, you're too kind!
The information I have to go on is very sketchy so I'm having to assume that the tanks in question are the ones housed in the fuselage. Ideally I'm looking for some photos of them stripped out of the plane if you happen to come across such a thing so I can see them clearly and get a sense of scale.

Paul,
You can count on it.

I have a few pics from other builds of those tanks if you want to see them?
Joel
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 09:02 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm on board for this ride Joel, always enjoy and get a lot out of your builds mate!

Besides that, I just love the heavy twin fighters, with the Mossie and Beau right up there with the P-61 and 110 in my book.

Best of luck with the build, I really hope it gives you everything you need right now.
Cheers, D

Damian,
Thanks friend for the support. I'm more then glade to have you along for the ride.

I guess my nitch is twins props since I've built in the last few years in 1/48 scale: P-61, P-38, PV-1, and the B-25B. You could also throw in just for kicks a A6E, F15C, and a F-4B.

KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 09:30 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Joel

Absolutely !
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 12:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Joel

Absolutely !

Paul,
Here's 4 pictures of the bomb bay twin tanks. The 1st one is from a build of the Tamiya 1/48 scale kit. The next 3 are from the real deal. All three are from the same restoration. Odd that the tank on the right is darker in color, and well worn, but the one on the left of restoration looks brand new, and a much lighter shade.

The paint color leds me to believe that the tanks were made of Bakelite.

Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 03:03 AM UTC
JA
Looking forward to following your progress on your Mossie and am I thinking of also posting my 1/32 Tamiya build as we both have the same timetable and reasons for the builds.
One item that still puzzles is the interior color. While 1/32 instructions call out for XF-71, which seems to be on the light side, I went with Model Air 71.095 and lightened up a bit with Mig-201 just a bit (1:3 ratio). While the color is now a bit lighter then then Model Air straight out of the bottle, it is still a bit darker then the interior colors in the bomb bay photos.
Keep 'em coming
Bro

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

JA
Looking forward to following your progress on your Mossie and am I thinking of also posting my 1/32 Tamiya build as we both have the same timetable and reasons for the builds.
One item that still puzzles is the interior color. While 1/32 instructions call out for XF-71, which seems to be on the light side, I went with Model Air 71.095 and lightened up a bit with Mig-201 just a bit (1:3 ratio). While the color is now a bit lighter then then Model Air straight out of the bottle, it is still a bit darker then the interior colors in the bomb bay photos.
Keep 'em coming
Bro

Pete,
Welcome to the show. I sure wasn't expecting you. And I'm super glad that you'll be posting your 1/32 Tamiya Mossie build on Aeroscale. there are a boatload of Brits here with more accumulated knowledge of WWII British aircraft, that can answer our questions as fast as we think them up.

As we discussed numerous times, one needs to view restorations with some caution. Often the colors are close but not dead on. Come to think of it, you're the one who drilled that into my head years ago.

Tamiya XF-71 was what Tamiya called for on their instruction sheets for sometime. It's close but a little to light. It's also listed as a Japanese color. Then Tamiya came out with a 2 paint mix that is really close. I went the easy way, using Model Master enamel RAF Interior Green.

I'm just about done with the IP bulkhead assembly, and that color does look good up close and personal.

Joel
Peterpools
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 197 posts
AeroScale: 193 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 04:01 AM UTC
JA
I looked at MM RAF Interior Green and the on-line color chips seem a bit dark. The only accurate test will be when you shoot the paint and we can compare. I'm trying to stay 100% acrylic paint for the build and I think I'm pretty close with my mix.
Bro
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 04:53 AM UTC
For the fuel tanks in both of my builds (48th Tamiya and 24th scale Fixall) I used the Modelmaster paint "British Crimson". I love this paint.
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 05:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

And I'm so glad that once again you're along for the journey no matter where it may led.

Joel

Definitely.
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 05:34 AM UTC

Quoted Text

For the fuel tanks in both of my builds (48th Tamiya and 24th scale Fixall) I used the Modelmaster paint "British Crimson". I love this paint.

Matt,
thanks for the heads up. I really need to get a bottle of that color. Hull Red is the closest I've got for it right now.
Joel