Hosted by Rowan Baylis
The War Trophy- Barbarosa
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
KitMaker: 1,293 posts
AeroScale: 1,072 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 05:26 AM UTC
starting a diorama of a BF 109 F that has crash landed and is being towed away as a trophy of war by some Russian soldiers. I am using the Hasegawa 109 F, and a Tamiya truck and Russian soldiers.

note the broken and torn wing of the fighter as I get the cockpit ready to close up.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 06:39 AM UTC
This looks interesting. I look forward to more photos.

So you mated the wings to the fuselage before mating the fuselage halves together? Interesting technique. Will you explain why? Is it easier to handle?
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 05, 2016 - 07:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

This looks interesting. I look forward to more photos.

So you mated the wings to the fuselage before mating the fuselage halves together? Interesting technique. Will you explain why? Is it easier to handle?

i do that when ever I can, it is so much easier than dealing with a gap later and most models fit well enough to do it this way.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:50 AM UTC
here is the plane pieced together showing the damage.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 08:01 AM UTC
Great concept and very nice work so far Doug. I will be following on this one!

Cheers, D
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:17 AM UTC
so here is the truck and plane together showing the plan.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 05:37 AM UTC
The base and the figures are going to be the make it or break it.

Also - I would consider ditching the tail wheel

And drop the tailgate on the truck.
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 07:58 PM UTC
Interesting idea. Saw a few crash landings and/or trophy pickers dioramas and have to agree with Matt that besides the skill on the 109 and truck, the base and figures are also very important to the overall impact.

I would never dare venturing in these seas

Keep it up!
Cheers
Pedro
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 09, 2016 - 07:03 AM UTC
plane and truck painted and decal'd and the ground started with a piece of wood routed out to represent a deeply gouged road.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 10, 2016 - 08:05 PM UTC
got the 109 and the truck started on the way to weathering up for the diorama.

Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, July 11, 2016 - 08:18 PM UTC
Doug really lovely paint job. Could you post some more workbench in progress pics (sorry getting greedy :-)).

gr TC
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 12:23 AM UTC
Doug,
Just saw your build blog. The 109 with the damage looks superb. I'm curious to see how you handle the weathering to reflect not only the damage from shell fire, but from crashing into the ground.

If at all possible, I'd follow Matt's suggestion about dropping the tailgate on the truck, as it most likely would have opened up from the weight and bouncing driving on such a trenched dirt road.

Joel
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 12, 2016 - 06:32 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Doug,
Just saw your build blog. The 109 with the damage looks superb. I'm curious to see how you handle the weathering to reflect not only the damage from shell fire, but from crashing into the ground.

If at all possible, I'd follow Matt's suggestion about dropping the tailgate on the truck, as it most likely would have opened up from the weight and bouncing driving on such a trenched dirt road.

Joel

I understand what you are saying however the tail gate on this truck unlike the ones on pickup trucks is held up by two 1/4 inch steel pins, one on each side, and the tail of the plane would come off before the tail gate would fall, and if done slowly and if they did not travel far this kind of aircraft recovery was accomplished many times. As far as the dirt on the plane well we shall see how that comes out, I do agree that the figures and the ground work will be critical to how convincing this ends up. I have done a lot of work on the ground and will post some pictures of it soon, including what I think looks like pretty good stubby grass lands.

thanks for all the kind words and advise.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 02:05 AM UTC
ground work getting going

grass is made with twine from walmart, it is held with tweezers and cut with a scissor and then dipped in white glue and stuck on the ground and sort of fluffed up to make it stand up.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 13, 2016 - 02:08 AM UTC
this is how it is done.

after it is dry I airbrush greens and browns to blend it to the dirt around it.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:39 PM UTC
weathering continues on the plane and truck and the rope is now on the tail securing it to the truck.

DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 08:42 PM UTC
the figures I am using come from the truck kit and another Tamiya kit of Russian tank riders, and the pilot is from a Monogram BF 110. In 1/48th scale I only sort of hint to stuff rather than paint it all on, using highlights and shadows.

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:46 AM UTC
Hi Doug

I'm loving this build!

A couple of points I'd make (no - don't worry - it's NOT blue uniforms! ) - it's all cable-related:

The Bf 109's aerial. The part that's still attached to the mast looks very stiff and unrealistic; without the tension at the other end, it would just drop loose over the fuselage. I used lead wire on Eduard's Fw 190D-9 - the thinnest I could find was till a tad heavy, but it mimicked the slack droop reasonably convincingly.

Similarly, you need to add a little damage on the fin to show where its attachment's been shorn off.

The last cable is very different; it looks like you need to add the canopy restrainer - without it, it would fall down against the side of the fuselage (and possible rip out its hinges?).

Minor points in a stunning build. I'd love to see this full-sized - although whether the '109's notoriously weak undercarriage would stand more than a few hundred yards down a rough dirt road could be amusing - until the Party Commissars arrived asking questions...

All the best

Rowan
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 03:13 AM UTC
this is kinda the idea of a bunch of guys on the plane, and some more paint done on some of the Russians and the frustrated pilot of the 109.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:21 PM UTC
Doug,
I really like the overall effect and story of your diorama. The BF109-F came out quite well, especially the damage. it's not so overly done that there was no reals sense to cart it away.
Joel
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Wednesday, July 20, 2016 - 03:08 AM UTC
another guy
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 02:30 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Doug

I'm loving this build!

A couple of points I'd make (no - don't worry - it's NOT blue uniforms! ) - it's all cable-related:

The Bf 109's aerial. The part that's still attached to the mast looks very stiff and unrealistic; without the tension at the other end, it would just drop loose over the fuselage. I used lead wire on Eduard's Fw 190D-9 - the thinnest I could find was till a tad heavy, but it mimicked the slack droop reasonably convincingly.

Similarly, you need to add a little damage on the fin to show where its attachment's been shorn off.

The last cable is very different; it looks like you need to add the canopy restrainer - without it, it would fall down against the side of the fuselage (and possible rip out its hinges?).

Minor points in a stunning build. I'd love to see this full-sized - although whether the '109's notoriously weak undercarriage would stand more than a few hundred yards down a rough dirt road could be amusing - until the Party Commissars arrived asking questions...

All the best

Rowan

OK Rowan I think I have addressed all of your concerns, made the aerial droop almost straight down, installed the canopy bungee so it won't fall down, and made the tail spike with a hole where the aerial was attached, as far as the landing gear giving way I have always had a plan to tie the two gear together with rope to stop the problem of them collapsing so this will be done soon. Now as far as the entire idea goes, well what can you do when a bunch of soldiers have a great idea and a truck, and perhaps a little Vodka there was at least one 109 captured and kept in a museum in Russia so this is not that far from reality, and I have seen aircraft recovered in this manner.

Thanks for your suggestions Rowan.
all the best
Doug
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 02:33 AM UTC
I think that there are now enough soldiers in the truck and I will concentrate on the the guys on the plane.
FloydWerner
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Maryland, United States
KitMaker: 144 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 04:02 AM UTC
This is awesome. Great work as usual Doug.
DougCohen
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Texas, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 21, 2016 - 07:20 PM UTC
Thanks Floyd, I have not talked to you in a while, we need to get together on some stuff soon.
 _GOTOTOP