Spitfire IIb and a Va
29Foxtrot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 708 posts
AeroScale: 674 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 12:04 AM UTC
Hi Folks,

This started out as a discusion with a friend, to build up both a Mk IIb and a Mk Va Spitfire's, about 18 months ago, the proposal was that if I built the 48 kit's he would build his in 72.
With both the Tamiya Mk I and Mk Vb, I started to put these into the two versions I wanted to build, by doing the following:

Take the Fuselage from the Mk I kit and marry it to the Wings of the Mk V , presto a Mk IIb, now the wing from the Mk I and the Fuselage of the Mk Vb [which is all that's left] makes up the Mk Va. As the Mk IIb was in limited numbers during the Battle of Britain, I elected to make the Mk IIb as one that was flown by a Dutch Unit opperating with the RAF.
Neither aircraft have any of the kit decals applied to them, everything came from the 'extra's' box, now that these are almost finished, they fill in a gap that is missing in the early model's of this unique fighter.

I did have the idea of doing the Mk III [which was a prototype for the Mk VIII], but settled on the Mk Vc as flown by the RAAF both within Australia and the Western Pacific, to do this version a 'Red Roo' conversion set is needed, but their are no decals produced locally at present to complete this project, so it belongs with 'One day I'll build it' pile that is mounting higher in the corner of my work shop.

The 72 versions are still in their respective boxes, also marked as 'One day'

I'll post photo's of these at a later date.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 09:08 AM UTC
:-) Well of course as everyone knows "you can't have to many Spitfires" . These are 2 that I don't have in my collection, but will have one day. I feel a Spitfire Gallery coming on :-)
Looking forward to the pics. When you post yours, I'll post some of mine, can't say fairer than that :-)
Mal
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, February 09, 2004 - 11:23 AM UTC
Hi Rob

Don't forget to add the cowling-bulge on the Mk IIB for the Coffman starter.

I can't wait to see your pics when these Spits are finished. :-)

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP