_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Arado Ar196 B 1/32 scale
mboswell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 5 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 07:36 PM UTC
This is my first attempted at building a WW 2 aircraft. It was a lot of fun to bring out all the detail that the kit offered. I used some Edward seat belts and outside detail to help improve the kit.
I pre painted the metal panels with aluminum and the fabric areas with red german primer color, then pre shaded all of the panel lines, applied scratch fluid, and then the final coat of two shades of lighter and darker olive drab. Not sure if they used the red primer on the fabric areas but I think the effect is worth all the work.
I found a couple of pictures of the crew members and place it on the base.
Enjoy and feedback is always welcome.
mboz
ivanhoe6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Wisconsin, United States
KitMaker: 2,023 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 07, 2016 - 09:45 PM UTC
Damn nice Arado float plane Marshall ! Great weathering and an even better display base ! I build armor (mostly)so the airplane folks will know better but I think that your zinc chromate areas should have been painted some sort of grey, either RLM02 or RLM66 would be my guess. UNLESS, it's an anti-corrosion paint specific for seaplanes. Never the less it's an awesome first attempt ! BTW, who's the manufacturer of the kit & what scale ?
Thank you for sharing !
Tom
mboswell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 01:02 AM UTC
Ya your probably right about the zinc color that it should be gray, but I kinda like it that color. This is not by any means to be an exact reproduction of the real plane, just rather a close representation. I was just trying some new techniques in the painting department. It is made by Revel of Germany and it is 1/32 scale
Thanks for you comments
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 03:26 AM UTC
Beautiful build Marshall, the detail work and weathering look great! The images on the base are a really good idea as well, I might just steal that one on an upcoming build
The cockpit interior would have been a combination of RLM02 with RLM66 IP and other small panels on the 1:1 model, but I think yours looks good and since you paid the money and did the work, as long as you are happy that is what counts!

Welcome to the Kitmaker network as well, looking forward to seeing more of your work.

Cheers, D
mboswell
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
Posted: Wednesday, June 08, 2016 - 06:20 AM UTC
Thank you for the kind words.
 _GOTOTOP