_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
A Flying Mosquito FB Mk26 with video clips
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 07:25 AM UTC
Hello everyone.

Spent most of the day today at the Mid-Atlantic Air Museum Air Show and WWII Weekend in Reading PA, as usual I took lots of photos, (1,700) and quite a few little video clips..

I think the Star of this years show was the de Havilland DH.98 Mosquito Fighter Bomber Mk. 26. it is said to be 1 of only 2 that are flying today..

First up is a nice photo I took today.. ( I took a lot of this plane) and Following that are some links to some youtube video's I took of it taxiing, Taking off, and a fly past. they are not the greatest but its what my camera can do...

YouTube Clips...

Mossie Starting up and Taxiing off

Mossie on take off run

Mossie doing a fly past

I really enjoyed the day out at the WWII Weekend.. and hope everyone likes this little tidbit..

Delbert
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 04:05 PM UTC
Thanks for sharing your vids with us, Delbert. Awesome Merlin sound! And the "Fifi" in the background.
Just one question. As far as I know, this museum works on a P-61 Black Widow to get her in the air again. Do you any news for us how far they are at the moment with this monumental project?

Torsten
Delbert
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 2,659 posts
AeroScale: 209 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 06:01 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks for sharing your vids with us, Delbert. Awesome Merlin sound! And the "Fifi" in the background.
Just one question. As far as I know, this museum works on a P-61 Black Widow to get her in the air again. Do you any news for us how far they are at the moment with this monumental project?

Torsten

Hello.. They put the P-61 out in front of the hanger every year to show what they have done.. they have a tent over it and use the area as their event store to buy the t-shirts and stuff..

Last year it was all about getting enough donations to buy new props and finish the engine nacelles.. This year they were driving to pay for the needed wings.. but I will say it is starting to look like a P-61.. here is a photo of their progress...

and yep that B-29 Fifi was something, it was flying around all day.. wish I had enough cash to buy a ride in it.. lol

Delbert
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 06:30 PM UTC
Hi Delbert,

Glad you could attend. Sounds like a great time. I saw Fifi fly over the airport I work at week before last.

The P-61 - I have a most periphery connection to it. In 1990 a missionary pilot friend of mine, Len Zagmann, was in New Guinea as a pilot in the 1970s. Locals told him of this P-61 and he and friend went to it. He might have been the missionary to tell the CAF remember who told the Stines about it.

Len told me that when they got to it, there was still air in a tire and coffee in a thermos.
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 04, 2016 - 10:35 PM UTC
Thanks for the informations, Delbert, and the photo of the Silver Widow. Great news to see this wonderful bird slowly coming together again.

Fred, thanks also for your additional informations. I read about this P-61 which crashed into a New Guinea mountain in 1944 (?) When they dicovered the wreck, I think it was in 1989, they also found the remains of the crew. This bird was nearly completly torn to pieces, so everything has to be rebuild by hand. I'm taking my hat off about this work of the volunteers.

Torsten
 _GOTOTOP