_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
Help choosing next WNW's kits.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 03:50 AM UTC
Ok, so I'm now hooked on these kits. I have the Rumpler C.IV and recently got the Snipe and I am in awe with them.
I need a little help in choosing my next couple of kits before their p&p charges come into place next month. I've budgeted myself for 2 fighters but unsure which ones to get.
Considering the age of the RFC Pup and discontinuation of the RNAS boxing, this is one I'm seriously thinking of getting. Also looks to be a fairly simple build.
Same goes for the Albatros D.Va OAW. Previous boxings are sold out and it's one I don't want to miss out on. The Albatros is a favourite of mine and the kit has some very nice colour schemes.

But the thing is, I also like the look of the Roland D.VI and Pfalz D.XII. Unusual looking planes that aren't kitted by anyone else in this scale.

Just looking for anyone's opinions on the kit's listed. Would anyone agree with my two choices?
JackFlash
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Colorado, United States
KitMaker: 11,669 posts
AeroScale: 11,011 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 04:19 AM UTC
Pup and the Alb. D.Va (OAW) are good choices.
Capistrano
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 21 posts
AeroScale: 3 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 06:43 AM UTC
JN4 Jenny
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 07:33 AM UTC
Pup and the Roland D.VI, get them before they go OOP, I've now missed the Harry Tate and must get the Pup myself.

Tom, no disrespect but it's a bit hard to do a Jenny when WNW don't do a kit of one.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,473 posts
AeroScale: 1,450 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 08:01 PM UTC
Read on another forum that the Pfalz DIIIa was quite low on stock (seemingly told on the NZ Model Expo).

Also the Gotha was about to be Sold out – pretty far from being a fighter though...

/Mikael
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:08 PM UTC
All choices are good choices... I recommend a dartboard to choose
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, May 16, 2016 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hi Stephen

Let's be honest - you can't go wrong with any of them, can you.

Mikael's mention of the Pfalz D.IIIa reminds me that I bought one earlier this year (just ahead of the price rise) - it really is a beautiful kit and well worth considering.

All the best

Rowan
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 01:50 AM UTC
Thanks everyone.

Given me a few others to think about. The Pup is definitely one I will get, but I'll have to to have a good look at the Albatros, Pfalz D.III and Roland. Have to do be honest I had not considered the Pfalz as the Roden one can be gotten fairly cheaply if you shop around. I picked up their Sopwith Triplane from a charity shop (5 quid!) and while not WNW quality it does look it will build up pretty good. I think I would prefer the WNW Pfalz, but if it goes I have an alternative.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 11:59 AM UTC
The Pup is a very sweet kit (have built the RNAS version, and have the RFC in the stash).

The Roden tripe for a fiver was a great bargain! Take care with the fuselage though – it's the too short compared with the production planes. Just right for the pre-production though

/Mikael
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 09:29 PM UTC
Oh yes I would have been foolish to pass that up. Just a shame it was the only kit they had. Depends on donations of course and it goes to a good cause. Picked up a few kits from them in the past.
Roden do some interesting stuff. I'm keen on getting their Spad. The Russian boxing with skis can be gotten very cheaply as it doesn't seem to be a great seller.
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 11:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

The Pup is a very sweet kit (have built the RNAS version, and have the RFC in the stash).

The Roden tripe for a fiver was a great bargain! Take care with the fuselage though – it's the too short compared with the production planes. Just right for the pre-production though

/Mikael

Hi Mikael,
Thanks for the tip about the fuselage. I don't have any scale plans to compare it with so how short are we talking about? Wonder if it's an easy fix.
OEFFAG_153
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Västra Götaland, Sweden
Posted: Tuesday, May 17, 2016 - 11:43 PM UTC
By quite a bit I'm afraid. When I built it I think I added about 8mm behind the cockpit. As I recall it was a mistake by the Roden design team. They looked at the plans for the prototype (which I think is included in the markings of the kit) not realising the production spec had a very different measurement...

Here is a somewhat blurry image of my tripe – you can see the grey bit added on the side.

phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 12:39 AM UTC
WOW! 8mm is quite a bit off in this scale. I assume Sopwith lengthened it to solve stability issues?
Might have to think about how I could do that and add in any lost detail. I vaguely remember someone producing a set of PE stitching that would be a big help.
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 01:41 AM UTC
You cannot really go wrong with any of the WNW single seaters. Whilst now OOP and attracting high prices, their DVII range may be one to avoid as a'first' build as it is a much trickier build (IMHO) than others I have tackled in the range. Don't be fooled either by the attraction of 'minimal rigging' as a first WNW build.

There is nothing fit wise wrong with it, but the engineering is certainly more involved around the nose area especially. Also, the undercarriage being in scale is incredibly weak and 'floppy' under the weight of the kit unless braced with steel wire or similar.

Personally, I cannot recommend too highly the Pfalz DIIIa as it was a 'shake the box' modelling experience and it has a huge range of markings options to choose from.

Good luck with whatever you choose.

Gary
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 03:48 AM UTC
It's been a while since I've seen a Fokker D.VII come up for sale and I remember some reviews at the time saying it was a bit complicated. To be honest I have a few 1/72's and Roden's 1/48?in the stash, so I think I'm good for that particular plane anyway.
Another vote for the Pfalz D.III though. It certainly does look like a very nice kit. How likely do we all think the Albatros will be available for a while yet? I'm not quite sure how old that particular kit is.
Kevlar06
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 3,670 posts
AeroScale: 833 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 04:21 AM UTC
Stephen,
I've been buying WNW since they started marketing them-- usually 2 a year-- I'm up to 14 now. I'd recommend the Hansa Brandenburg W12, as it's light on rigging, and is a floatplane with interesting naval lozenge camo. The new Albatros C1 looks really great too, and comes with some great features. If you're into allied aircraft-- the Salmson 2A2 is a great kit of one of the only radial engined aircraft flown during WWI. But I must agree-- you can't go wrong with any WNW kit you choose.
VR, Russ
flyerhank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 08:34 AM UTC
How about a SPAD S.XIII or VII?
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Wednesday, May 18, 2016 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How about a SPAD S.XIII or VII?

Henry, WNW don't make a SPAD so it would be very hard for Stephen to buy one.

Stephen damn you, I'm now looking for a Fokker D.VII
flyerhank
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Virginia, United States
KitMaker: 35 posts
AeroScale: 5 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:21 AM UTC
Sorry about that. I must have had a brain malfunction with regard to the opening text. I thought you all were postulating the next WNW release.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 12:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Sorry about that. I must have had a brain malfunction with regard to the opening text. I thought you all were postulating the next WNW release.

Hi Henry

Totally forgiven - wouldn't it be awesome to see some classic French fighters in the range! The Camel was something WNW said there was no need for them to do, so I live in hope...

All the best

Rowan
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Thursday, May 19, 2016 - 01:26 AM UTC
I'm always surprised that a Camel wasn't among the first they did. I mean what have we got besides from the Academy/Hobbycraft kit?
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 01:56 AM UTC
Hi again

I've got to admit, this thread prompted me to order another Albatros! It just got me thinking "They can't last forever..." - so, if anyone misses out - sorry!

It'll be interesting to compare the overall cost with the new system.

All the best

Rowan
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 02:27 AM UTC
I've just gone ahead and placed my order for the Pup and Pfalz D.IIIa. Thanks for the recommendations.

I'm already squirreling some more cash away for another order later in the year for the DH.9 and I'll probably get the Albatros then.

I can hardly wait to get them!
redcap
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 753 posts
AeroScale: 311 posts
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 04:28 AM UTC
Excellent choices - the Pfaltz in particular you will not regret I assure you.

Gary
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Friday, May 20, 2016 - 10:21 PM UTC
Thanks for the recommendation. The next difficult bit is deciding which colour scheme to go for!
 _GOTOTOP