_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 Me-109K-4 from Hasegawa
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 02:40 PM UTC
As I was looking through the parts of the new Me-109G-6 from Eduard I saw that there are parts for other versions included in the box and that means that we will probably also see both Karl and Friedrich versions in the future. Since I already have some 109s in the stash I decided to start working through them before Eduard issues their offering. Most of my stash consists of Hasegawa kits, which while nice, are not on the level of Eduard. So here we go with the Me-109K-4. The kit is nice overall but lacks details in the wheel wells and cockpit. I will build it OOB with decals from the box and closed canopy since I really need to get through the stash quickly. The cockpit is very basic but will be sufficient for a closed canopy, only thing that still needs to be added is some AM harness.

SHAKY962
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Buenos Aires, Argentina
KitMaker: 765 posts
AeroScale: 316 posts
Posted: Thursday, May 05, 2016 - 05:25 PM UTC
Nice!!!!!!!!
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 05:18 PM UTC
Thank You Jose for the comment. I have put the fuselage and the wings together now. The fit is relatively good. Extensive sanding was needed where the underside of the rear part of the wing met with the fuselage. Surface details were lost there, so I had to rescribe the panel lines and still need to fix some smaller issues. Next come the flaps and tail. I try to move ahead as fast as possible because I also have the 1/48 Avenger from AM on the table right now and that one needs more care - see last picture

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 07:28 PM UTC
Naseby,
Nice start to the older Hasegawa kit. Your decision to close the canopy and concentrate on the overall finish should equalize this kit with the newer offerings.

The only thing that I don't agree with is your decision to rush through this build and others in your stash of older kits before the newer releases come out. Just enjoy each build, as that's the whole point of the hobby, unless you build for commissions only, and there are time and monetary constraints.

Joel
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Saturday, May 14, 2016 - 10:45 PM UTC
Hi Joel, thanks for the comment. Well Im not going to rush it too much, what I meant was that its going to be OOB since I assume there is going to be a K-4 in the future from Eduard and that one will have better chances to be come something special. And since You asked, yes ther is a reason to hurry up I have to make space in the stash because.... I need to buy more kits
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Sunday, May 15, 2016 - 12:03 AM UTC
Nice work so far Naseby!

I just finished one of these a few weeks ago and they are great fun to put together.

Matrixone
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 03:02 PM UTC
Well I was distracted (again) by a different project and the Me-109 was not moving forward as I hoped. You can see the reason for the distraction in the first picture. Good news is - all other projects are done or on hold now and the even better news is that the main assembly, sanding and fitting is done so "Karl" will move to the painting department soon...

rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 05, 2016 - 07:31 PM UTC
Looking good Naseby!

That Wesp is also very cool
Cheers
Pedro
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Sunday, June 26, 2016 - 01:37 AM UTC
Well its been more than 2 weeks since the last update so definitelly not the promissed fast progress, but still I finally managed to get the basic camouflage done. It took a bit longer than anticipated beecause I made a mistake and had to re-apply some parts of the camo. Im still struggling with the setup on my new camera so I took two sets of pictures with different light setup. Now on to the weathering !

Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 12:59 AM UTC
So here is another update. Work on the weathering has started !

Lisec
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Croatia Hrvatska
KitMaker: 306 posts
AeroScale: 2 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 01:20 AM UTC
Just a tip- the tail fin should have factory applied, hard edged green spots,otherwise nice job
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 06, 2016 - 03:50 AM UTC
Very nice, Naseby! Great job on shading and paint modulation.

Gaz
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Thursday, July 07, 2016 - 03:14 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments. I have noticed the mistake with the tail fin, unfortunatelly, I already started to apply decals including those on the tail and the fix would be too complicated. More updates coming soon.
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 09:44 PM UTC
Well after a short while I call this one 99% complete. What is still missing is the white spiral on the propeller. The decal provided for this in the kit was horrible, so Im looking now for a better way to do it, maybe with a help of a masking take cut to shape. We will see...

rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 17, 2016 - 10:08 PM UTC
Hi Naseby,

I can send you a decal for your spiral if you accept it. Gotta a few spares around plus I tend to use masks for them whenever I can.

Good job on that Karl, looks fantastic!

Cheers,
Pedro
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC
Hi Naseby, beatiful painted model. Very nice on the eye to look at.

gr TC
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 11:36 AM UTC
Hello Guys, thanks for the comments. Im happy You like it even thou its only an OOB build. I will maybe try to find some AM masks for the spinner, Im not sure yet.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, July 18, 2016 - 08:14 PM UTC
Naseby,
I very impressive build. Your camo paint scheme, decaling, and weathering are all very well done.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP