_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix's new Defiant: the Out of Box review
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 04:08 AM UTC
If there’s one thing I love about modelling, it’s when someone makes a kit of something a bit different, esoteric or just plain weird in some way. I normally don’t even care if the kit’s not the greatest thing going. Heck, my collection of Farpros and Frogs are proof of that. However, one brand has nothing but my scorn; Airfix.

I’ve built a couple of old Airfixes, and I swore never again. It saddens me, though, because they have such odd stuff in their line; greats like the Boulton Paul Defiant and Fairey Battle! I have long wanted a good, 1/72 kit of both of these. When the “New Airfix” announced the Defiant I couldn’t help but get excited. I have built a couple of the New Airfix kits, and find them good, but not without their issues. Still, the new Defiant should be light years ahead of the old one!

For some reason, it took my local shop a lot longer to get these than the dofight double with the Defiant in it! However, I didn’t care for the Do-17, so I just had to wait patiently. Thankfully, my persistence paid off the other day, and I snagged one of these oh-so-weirdly-loserish turreted ugly ducklings.

This is going to go to the workbench pretty soon, so I thought I’d do an out-of-box review for it before the sprue gets all cut up!

I have to say, this one looks miles better than anything I’ve seen from them; I hope that bodes well!

[u]https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/out-of-box-reviews/172-airfix-boulton-paul-defiant-oob/[/u]

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:05 AM UTC
Would you like to spruce that review up and publish it to Aeroscale's kit review section? We don't have a Defiant review on the site yet.
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, April 07, 2016 - 06:15 AM UTC

Quoted Text

However, one brand has nothing but my scorn; Airfix.
I’ve built a couple of old Airfixes, and I swore never again.
I snagged one of these oh-so-weirdly-loserish turreted ugly ducklings

Adam, it's about time you came out of your shell and said what you really mean mate!

Cheers, D
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 03:38 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Adam, it's about time you came out of your shell and said what you really mean mate!

You know, I get that a lot!

I guess, when you're a delicate wallflower like myself, people get tired of trying to figure out what you're trying to say, eh?
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 04:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Would you like to spruce that review up and publish it to Aeroscale's kit review section? We don't have a Defiant review on the site yet.

Sure! I'd be pleased to. It has been submitted and a couple of pics sent to you.

Enjoy!
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 07:09 AM UTC
I can see the review, but the pictures haven't arrived yet. Which e-mail address did you use?
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Friday, April 08, 2016 - 04:59 PM UTC
I used this address for the pictures.

[email protected]

Is that the wrong one?
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 01:04 AM UTC
Hi Adam

No - that's correct and your pics have come in safely. One of the team will get cracking. It's great to have you review the kit.

My LHS has been uncharacteristically slow in getting the Defiant in (it's big brother too (normally they're great with Airfix, and I believe in always supporting them whenever I can)), so it'll be a relief not to have to do the honours when it finally arrives.

All the best

Rowan
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Saturday, April 09, 2016 - 01:47 AM UTC
Hello Rowan:

My word... it's even taking a long time to get them in the UK? I guess we out here in the Colonies did okay, then!

I wonder what's holding up the works?

I'm glad to be able to help on this. Just working on the kit now, actually. The interior looks pretty nice for a small-scale fighter!

_GOTOTOP