_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Lancaster Mark X
JAFMA
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 1 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 02:56 AM UTC
I'm looking for some help in building a Lancaster Mark X. Everything I have read so far indicates that I have to purchase a Mk III and convert it over to a Mk X. Is that correct? Any help in the matter would be great.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 05:39 AM UTC
Randall, in most cases a rebuild will be necessary. My understanding is that the initial batch of Mk. X's were built to B. III standard, externally. Later
Mk. X's had the different dorsal turret and the position of the turret moved. You will probably have to research the particular Mk. X you are building and determine which configuration it had. I built one from 419 Squadron (RCAF) several years ago and I was fortunate because "Ropey", the airframe I depicted, was an early one built to B.III standards so I didn't have to amend the turret configuration on the spine.

Best wishes,

Ian
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 06:10 AM UTC
As Ian mentioned, early production Lancaster Xs were externally identical to the Mk. III. Later versions had the mid-upper turret replaced by the Martin turret (you can lift one from a B-26 kit) and because it was heavier, it had to be moved forward to preserve the aircraft's centre of gravity.

You should be able to convert the new Airfix kit fairly easily, or just stick to doing an early production Mk X which needs no converting : )

Don't forget to check out CanMilAir decals for some interesting RCAF markings. Take your time; there are 18 different options to view.

This is the standard Fraser Nash mid-upper:

This is the Martin mid-upper:

An Air to air shot of a Mk.X and a Mk.III clearly showing the different mid-upper turrets:
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 05:24 PM UTC
Great Lanc photo, Jessica. Makes me want to build another one.

Regards,

Ian
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 02, 2016 - 10:34 PM UTC
You can never have too many Lancasters.
KelticKnot
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Scotland, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 768 posts
AeroScale: 656 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 03, 2016 - 08:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

You can never have too many Lancasters.

Hear, hear!

You could very easily get away with a basic BIII with Canadian markings. For that matter, the BI was so outwardly similar to the III that no-one would be likely to question your choice - the main difference being a Packard Merlin engine instead of the Rolls.
It all depends on how pedantic YOU want to be about making it an obvious Mk X with such modifications as the turret or if you are depicting a specific example.

Be sure to post your progress !
 _GOTOTOP