_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/32 scale KittyHawk Models P-39 Airocobra
tigger917
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 92 posts
AeroScale: 50 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 08:59 PM UTC
Latest model from my workbench it is the 1/32 scale KittyHawk Models P-39 Airocobra built almost from the box with the addition of the HGW seat belts. Kit decals used. Hope you like here as she is hopefully going to be a build article in a future issue of Tamiya Model Magazine.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 13, 2016 - 09:41 PM UTC
John,
Very nicely done, although the weathering is a little more then I personally would have done.
Joel
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 02:19 AM UTC
Hi John

Wow! Great "extreme-weathering". I might have done a bit more on the spinner to match the rest of the airframe, but context and references are everything in this side of the game.

Really tasty!

All the best

Rowan
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 07:32 AM UTC
I agree with Joel, I would need to see a photo of the machine showing it this heavily weathered.

Did you enjoy the build? I'm looking forward to mine.
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 12:46 PM UTC
Nice build John. Did you use the "Hairbrush" technique to simulate chipping and wear?

Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 01:08 PM UTC
Agree with Matt and Joel, weathering is way over the top for me even if you have done a good job doing it.
tigger917
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 10:42 PM UTC
Hi guys all of your comments noted. I did this model with a lot of artistic licence as I wanted to do a very heavily weathered machine and this is what I have done. Sorry that you may think it is over done but it is my interpretation and it turns out as I wanted it too. As to the actual aircraft it represents I used the kit decals as ther were no others available so whilst it may be a Russian aces aircraft I did it as a generic bird but used the kit decals. I am certainly happy with the nod result as there are many many layers of work to achieve the effete ts Sen here. I know that some might not like it but it is not their model and as I said I am happy with the result.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, March 14, 2016 - 10:55 PM UTC
John,
My comment about your weathering was as I stated, my personal preference, and nothing more. If that's your personal interpretation of a heavily weathered Russian aircraft, and you're happy with the results, then that's all that matters.

Joel
goodn8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Berlin, Germany
KitMaker: 709 posts
AeroScale: 651 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 12:12 AM UTC
John,
your weathering is kinda... ummh unique but very well done.
Before it maybe looked liked this
http://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/196386

The unit shows P-39Q-5-BE
http://airaces.narod.ru/all3/fil_p393.jpg
Unit: 1st AE, 30th GvIAP, 6th IAK
Serial: 93 (42-20414)
Pilot - CO of 1st AE 1st.Lt.A.P.Filatov (21 victories), 1945.
Filatov Aleksandr Petrovich

So beside your really great work, this unit was not worn that way.
But I'm sure there were aircrafts in that condition while in Soviet maintenance.
I've done before some research for my recent Cobra for the DogFight-Campaign and for anybody who is seriously interested in those units in Soviet service this is worth a look: http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lendlease/p-39/misos/general.html

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lendlease/p-39/p-39.html

Thomas
tigger917
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, March 15, 2016 - 12:22 PM UTC
Hi guys my reply was not meant to be ready as anything more than light hearted I have just had a look at the above link and there is a huge amount of very useful info which if I had seen and was aware of may have made me do the bird differently, however as I said despite the inaccuracies of the finish I am still pleased with the final result.
John
F1Boomer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 32 posts
AeroScale: 13 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 16, 2016 - 08:02 PM UTC
I'm sure I'm in the minority here and am waiting for the "Simon Cowell" chorus of boos, but I'm a little disappointed in the harshness of the comments about John's build. I don't know John, but in looking at his build he has skill and experience and a lot of passion for his subject and hobby. Comments like these "I'm just stating my preference" I believe are inappropriate. Is the model well done? Absolutely. Does he have the correct # of widgets and thingys, is the pilots shoe laces tied correctly, is that color correct? I don't care, personally if his stars are .001mm. Off in position or his tires are not real rubber color, or whatever seems to be the latest craze or buzz words. Was the kit fun to build or not? And I know I'll get clobbered for this, but it looks like a P-39 to me, and who's to say that there weren't P-39's that were this weathered. Few people alive know truly what those aircraft went thru and looked like in the heat (or cold) of Eastern front combat, or anywhere else for that matter. There are pictures of a few aircraft around, but over 4700 P-39's were sent to Russia during WWII. Again, Maybe one of those 4700 aircraft had the heck flown out of it and looked like John's. That's the beauty of our hobby, build it the way your eye and mind sees it. I for one see John's P39 as a well built tribute to the aircraft. BTW, here's a pic of a Soviet P-39Q formerly 44-2664 on display at the Aviation Museum of Central Finland. Who's going to tell them their P-39 is overly weathered?
 _GOTOTOP