_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
"Critical Days" (ICM 1/48 LaGG-3)
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Monday, February 29, 2016 - 02:10 AM UTC
Hello. After the 1/48 Skyhawk I decided to try something easier. The 1/48 LaGG-3 from ICM seemed like a great option. Since the green/black camouflage seemed a little bit boring, I decided to make the thing more interesting. What I wanted to portrait is a heavy battered plane from the "Critical Days" of the German Summer Offensive of 1942, when the Wehrmacht rolled through the Southern Ukraine on its way to Stalingrad. The plane is heavy weathered. The camouflage is scratched and the standard soviet yellow putty is visible on the wooden wings. Som parts of the plane were repaired and were painted over with a different shade of green. Engine cowl is smeared with motor oil and the wings and fuselage are covered in dust. The plane is not operational after its last flight - the gunsight was removed to be used in a different plane and the smeared dust on the fuselage is a sign that the mechanics were trying to remove some other equipment from the plane aswell.

GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, February 29, 2016 - 02:45 AM UTC
Very interesting! I like your underside weathering. Perhaps you could make some pictures of the aircraft on a plain background? Although the background is interesting, it detracts from the model itself.

Gary
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, February 29, 2016 - 03:41 AM UTC
Perhaps the canopy could be a little dusty as well?

Regardless, that one deserves to be on the front page. Can you put together a bunch of pictures and send them to me please?
rochaped
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Lisboa, Portugal
KitMaker: 679 posts
AeroScale: 669 posts
Posted: Monday, February 29, 2016 - 05:26 AM UTC
Hi Naseby,

Your LaGG kinda puzzles me, or better yet, your artistic view about it puzzles me.

I find your model overall really good, especially the details on the camouflage and the weathering on the undersides and after fuselage spine, plus it s a well built kit for sure.

However I cannot understand the "dust" stains on the wings and elevators. Why are they depicted almost like an exhaust stain silhouette? Shouldn't the dust be more scattered and randomly placed?
Do you have a photo showing anything resembling this sort of dust stains to share, I really am intrigued

Cheers
Pedro
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Monday, February 29, 2016 - 11:33 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments. I will try to make better pictures on a better background later this week. The dust is pure fantasy, there are no pictures of LaGG-3 like this. I took the inspiration from this photo of a P-40.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 05:52 AM UTC
Naseby,

Overall, it certainly looks like a solid build, with a interesting and well done camo paint scheme. I to thought that the dirt/dust pattern on the tops of the wings to be just to localized, especially when I looked at the picture of the P40. There the dirt/dust is spread over most of the tops of both wings. Where there is a lack of it seams to be from the pilot and crew's feet from walking on the wings. It should be a rather quick and easy fix if you're so inclined to do it.

Joel

Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 04:01 PM UTC
Thanks for the comment Joel. Based on the feedback Im actualy thinking about "moving" the dust a bit and spread it around more evenly. I will think on it till the weekend and then maybe try it out.
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 01, 2016 - 08:35 PM UTC
Naseby,

Excellent LaGG! I love the concept of an abandoned bird. I like that you simulated the mud splash across the tops of the wing.

The previous posters have offered excellent advice. I have one thought, if I may. If she has been sitting in the field for a while, all dust and soot and grime that collects on her will eventually get wet from dew/mist/rail/melting snow. The drips will run towards gravity and per the contour of the fuselage, e.g., diagonal to the fuselage when holding it level.

Yes, I think this one deserves a feature.

And I love the backdrop!
 _GOTOTOP