_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Dornier DO-217 E-5 Camo colour question
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 12:09 AM UTC
Hi guys,
well it all takes a while, when I finished the basic paint and sealed it with gloss I will update in the blog. For now I got a question on the colours used. See the Picture.

My first colour was the greenish one within the masking tape. The second colour is more greyish (with post shade black). Now I wonder is to grey? Plz keep in mind that this model doesnt have to be historicly correct... it just has to look good. Should I continue with this colours or should the second colour also be more greenish? What do you guys think?

gr TC
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 06:07 AM UTC
Lars,
Without knowing the lighting conditions when your picture was taken its not possible to give any useful feedback.

Whenever I mix paints to try and match a specific color I always wait until I have natural daylight available, indoor lighting can be misleading when judging color shades.

Matrixone
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 12:30 PM UTC
Hi Les,

this picture is taken in (late) daylight.

gr Lars
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Tuesday, February 16, 2016 - 11:42 PM UTC
Lars,
Without knowing the intended colors you are after it looks like maybe you are trying to get RLM 72 and RLM 73 and if that is the case your Do 217 would be a Do 217K-2 as those were known to be painted in 72 and 73 at the point of manufacture.

I would not be too concerned about getting exact colors if you are trying to achieve the RLM 72 and RLM 73 paint shades, in wartime photographs 72 and 73 looked very much like 71 and 70.

Many years ago I did not have 72 and 73 for a model I was building and to get around that problem I added a small amount of dark blue/gray to my 70 and 71 paints and got passable looking 72 and 73 paint colors...maybe not 100% accurate but they sure looked the part and to me that's what mattered at the time.

Looking forward to seeing how your paint job turns out.

Matrixone
 _GOTOTOP