_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Flashback Messereschmitt Me-163A Komet
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
KitMaker: 182 posts
AeroScale: 179 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 29, 2015 - 05:51 AM UTC
Many years ago I got a kit of Messerschmitt Me-163A model from Flashback in 1/48 scale. Now I wanted to build it without to know it will be a nightmare

I never used before the photo metal parts... WOW!! My respect to those who are experts in this area!!! The cockpit came in resin and all the instrumens in metal... Well not bad at all, otherwise very nice!!! Sadly I saw late some information about the model. The control panel obviously is in dark grey not RLM 02 as the instruction says.

Well... The nightmare begins in the plastic parts of the plane, as a short run model it has a lot of corrections to do, fill, sand... Fill again and more sand.

Metal parts in exterior as pushrods and horns... Mass balance... At last if do you have the patience of Job; you will get a nice model.

As a fan of Me-163 saga, this is the best model that represent the right shape of real plane... Well, put atention in ruder it looks more like B version, so I sanded to get the right shape, and KE+SW has not the trim tab in rudder.

Cheers.

Al

Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 01:19 PM UTC
After some work the cockpit was ready...

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 02:57 PM UTC
Hi Alfredo

Really nice work! I'm sure I've still got one of these kits buried in the Stash somewhere, so I'll be following your build with interest for the day I dig it out.

All the best

Rowan
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Friday, January 01, 2016 - 08:51 PM UTC
Alfredo, that is a really interesting aircraft to model. I recently read Mano Ziegler’s book “Rocket Fighter” and will be following your progress.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 01:33 AM UTC
Thanks friens I glad you liked. The plastic parts as a short run kit needs a lot of work to reshape and the fuseage has 7 points of work in surface and leading edge. Mistakes in mold or some production proccess wrong. As I told you, must to be ready to sand a lot and fill more.

Even the first 163A was a clean and bright plane I paint some preshade. I choosed the KE+SW because it has slats and the model has them. The V3 and the rest of the planes has fixed slots as the 163B

First hand of paint, some sand to get a flat surface and to glue the pushrods and horns and counter balance weight in controls.

More hands of paint, let it dry and some glosscote clear laquer from testors to get a bright and flat surface for decals. And solvaset to decals.

De decals are very nice, you have decals for 3 versions, but the model clearly represents the KE+SW so if you want another plane of the first test fleet needs to fill the lines of slats and make the panel lines of fixed slots. The kit came with both types of takeoff doll, the first for tests and the more robust for operational unit.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 01:42 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alfredo, that is a really interesting aircraft to model. I recently read Mano Ziegler’s book “Rocket Fighter” and will be following your progress.

Bill I have not that book, I heard of it. I only have some magazines about articles of Komet and the Book Secret Bird from Wolfgang Spate. Even Rudy Opitz said about this book it was a nice historical novel of the plane!!! But definetely few references about the Me-163A. Sadly I saw late a cockpit reference in another book. The control stick is not black as the model build instructions said; and the instruments panel is not RLM 02, abviously is dark grey!!! But a diferent plane to build in this scale
heavyjagdpanzer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Georgia, United States
KitMaker: 173 posts
AeroScale: 108 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 02:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Bill I have not that book, I heard of it. I only have some magazines about articles of Komet and the Book Secret Bird from Wolfgang Spate. Even Rudy Opitz said about this book it was a nice historical novel of the plane!!! But definetely few references about the Me-163A. Sadly I saw late a cockpit reference in another book. The control stick is not black as the model build instructions said; and the instruments panel is not RLM 02, abviously is dark grey!!! But a diferent plane to build in this scale

The model looks very good especially with all the sanding you had to do too it. The book Rocket fighter is available on eBay pretty cheap and gives a good account of what it was like to fly these aircraft.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 02:36 AM UTC
Beautifully done! Bravo!
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Saturday, January 02, 2016 - 10:33 AM UTC
Thanks... Sand and make panel lines some wash for few weathernig with pastels and more clear lacquer. The KE+SW was specially gloss... Some say that was to have a clean surface for speed.

Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 11:17 AM UTC
After the decals, some wash to panel lines and hinge lines, and the last hand of clear lacquer. But I remember 2 old models at scale 1/72, another Me-163A and the DFS-194... So now the 2 models are restaured and all models finished.

phumbles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 05, 2016 - 02:37 PM UTC
They should make a nice trio on the shelf. Cheers Phil.
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 11:44 AM UTC

Quoted Text

They should make a nice trio on the shelf. Cheers Phil.

Yes!!! Thanks!!!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 06, 2016 - 11:07 PM UTC
Alfredo,
A most impressive build of a rather difficult kit.
Joel
Rotebaron
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Jalisco, Mexico
Posted: Thursday, January 07, 2016 - 08:40 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Alfredo,
A most impressive build of a rather difficult kit.
Joel

Thanks for your kind words
 _GOTOTOP