_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
BP Defiant Christmas challenge
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 04:58 PM UTC
Hi everyone!

I thought I'd take a break from building ships for a while and see if i can get my modelling mojo back (and reduce the number of little red boxes that keep appearing in my stash at the same time) by trying my hand at a wing thing!

Now, by no means am i a rivet counter, so if you are look away now I build for fun and to me if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck, then I'm happy.

So here we have it: Airfix's 1/72 BP Defiant starter set

and after a night's work ready for paint

Now, the challenge: to finish it by Christmas! Which will be a far shorter build time than the 2-3 year average per ship build that seems to be my norm
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Monday, November 30, 2015 - 11:17 PM UTC
Hi Russel,

good luck and have fun! Waiting to see your painting skills :-)

gr TC
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 01:39 AM UTC
Thank you Lars
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 01:56 AM UTC
Great idea for the season Russ, best of luck! I will be watching.

Cheers, D
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 02:16 AM UTC
Thanks Damian

PS congrats on the new addition to the family (I'm about a year late in noting that) Sure changes things hobby wise doesn't it?
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 04:06 AM UTC
Hi Russ,
I will be watching to see one of these built. I have bought a few of these Airfix starter kits for my son to give as birthday presents to his friends. Haven't seen one built yet

cheers

Michael
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 04:16 AM UTC
Should be a fun project. I'll be watching to see how it turns out.
I picked up the Dogfight-Double set with the Defiant and Dornier. An interesting duo as the Dornier is in the markings of the aircraft recovered from the English Channel a few years ago (and currently under restoration at RAF Cosford a few miles from me) and the Defiant is finished as the aircraft that brought it down. Just wish I could find the time to get them finished
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 06:29 AM UTC
Hi Russell.

I've been thinking about doing this very thing (the Airfix Defiant) myself. About time I did some modelling. And it will take my mind off the lunacy of shops with Winter displays in 25 to 30 degrees heat.

Cheers

Karl
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, December 01, 2015 - 11:40 AM UTC
I need to build one of these, so that I can develope camouflage masks, I aim to be getting one when I next go to Truro, on the 10th Dec. I look forward to seeing how this goes
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 02:30 PM UTC
17th December 2015 update...

Last one before Christmas methinks...

aircrew ready

cockpit

and I wasn't happy with the way the decal looked, so a little chipping and a coat of matt clear.

thanks for looking and a Merry Christmas to all
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, December 16, 2015 - 07:23 PM UTC
Nice work Russ, looking good.

Cheers and Merry Christmas, D
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 10:33 AM UTC
Be back soon everyone!

Merry Christmas and a happy new Year!
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,
I will be watching to see one of these built. I have bought a few of these Airfix starter kits for my son to give as birthday presents to his friends. Haven't seen one built yet

cheers

Michael

Hi Michael. Great idea to get kids into our hobby-hope my two young'ns have a go at it at some point

Quoted Text

Should be a fun project. I'll be watching to see how it turns out.
I picked up the Dogfight-Double set with the Defiant and Dornier. An interesting duo as the Dornier is in the markings of the aircraft recovered from the English Channel a few years ago (and currently under restoration at RAF Cosford a few miles from me) and the Defiant is finished as the aircraft that brought it down. Just wish I could find the time to get them finished

Hi Stephen-I know that feeling-i sure didn't find any time over the Christmas break

The Dornier looks like a nice kit-it's on my wish list thats for sure

Quoted Text

Hi Russell.

I've been thinking about doing this very thing (the Airfix Defiant) myself. About time I did some modelling. And it will take my mind off the lunacy of shops with Winter displays in 25 to 30 degrees heat.

Cheers

Karl

Hi Karl
Sounds like the lunacy of the shops here with Winter displays in 30-40 degrees and roast turkeys for lunch! What were we thinking

Quoted Text

I need to build one of these, so that I can develope camouflage masks, I aim to be getting one when I next go to Truro, on the 10th Dec. I look forward to seeing how this goes

Thanks Mal-hope i can do it justice. Welcome aboard

Well, happy new year everyone! Just a small update but a significant one. The main airframe is together using thin styrene cement. A bit of wrangling was required, as the two halves didn't match 100% and some filling with superglue and sanding of the seams was required.

Ready for canopy to be added now and then off to the paint shop. Not sure if i'll go with canopy open or closed?

I'll be getting all the landing gear ready first though

More soon
thanks for looking
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 04:34 PM UTC
Great to see you still at it Russ, some major progress there and it's looking good.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 10, 2016 - 08:53 PM UTC
Russell,
Excellent progress for sure. Next step is the paint shop. Really looking forward to that update.
Joel
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:22 PM UTC
Thanks Joel, D

shouldn't be too far off methinks
Cosimodo
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Auckland, New Zealand
KitMaker: 1,808 posts
AeroScale: 195 posts
Posted: Monday, January 11, 2016 - 02:33 PM UTC
Hi Russ,
This looking good. I am sure you're looking forward to applying something other than naval grey to a kit

cheers
Michael
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 12, 2016 - 11:59 AM UTC
I didn't manage to get one in Truro but I did get one in Rugby when I was visiting my sister over Christmas, and at the model shop that got me back into the hobby 35 years ago!

Quoted Text

Well, happy new year everyone! Just a small update but a significant one. The main airframe is together using thin styrene cement. A bit of wrangling was required, as the two halves didn't match 100% and some filling with superglue and sanding of the seams was required.

I haven't found this, the kit seems to fit perfectly during test fits. I did put the interior together while it was within the fuselage halves, but without gluing it in, to ensure everything fitted as best that it could. I'll be posting pics on the Bulldogs site I'll have my canopy closed
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 07:14 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russ,
This looking good. I am sure you're looking forward to applying something other than naval grey to a kit

cheers
Michael

Hi Michael

yep, even if it is a bit of sky and some camo, it sure makes a nice change from all those greys

Quoted Text

I didn't manage to get one in Truro but I did get one in Rugby when I was visiting my sister over Christmas, and at the model shop that got me back into the hobby 35 years ago!

Quoted Text

I haven't found this, the kit seems to fit perfectly during test fits. I did put the interior together while it was within the fuselage halves, but without gluing it in, to ensure everything fitted as best that it could. I'll be posting pics on the Bulldogs site I'll have my canopy closed

Hi Mal

this sure has been a popular kit for Airfix-had to wait a long time for it to make it down under...

yep, I put the cockpit together while it was in the fuselage halves as well. The fit in that area was perfect. Trouble I had was over the engine. It was almost as if one part had some residual distortion from the molding process.

Nothing we model makers can not over come with a little filler and some patience though

PS when you post up your Defiant pics, please share the link
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 11:29 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I will but have you not been over to the Bulldogs site? It is part of KitMaker. I was hoping to have pictures up but I have been trying something and I need to try again. I will post some pics soon
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 12:51 PM UTC
Very nice detail painting and great progress Russell. One day I plan to build the Defiant; but I will need to do so in 1/48th scale!

Ernest
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 02:21 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

I will but have you not been over to the Bulldogs site? It is part of KitMaker. I was hoping to have pictures up but I have been trying something and I need to try again. I will post some pics soon

I have indeed been over there Mal-most interesting.

A direct link is always handy though

Quoted Text

Very nice detail painting and great progress Russell. One day I plan to build the Defiant; but I will need to do so in 1/48th scale!

Ernest

Thank you Ernest. The 1/48 looks very interesting-hope you'll share the build in a blog
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 13, 2016 - 04:58 PM UTC
It will be some time before I get around to purchasing and building a 1/48 Defiant - a lot of projects to get finished before than. I'm also not likely to do a blog as my building skills aren't quite good enough.

Ernest

[/quote]
Thank you Ernest. The 1/48 looks very interesting-hope you'll share the build in a blog [/quote]
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, January 17, 2016 - 02:44 PM UTC
Hi Ernst,

Don't worry-My build skills aren't all that good either

But it sure is a lot of fun, and if i do go wrong, there's plenty of help at hand

Russ
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, February 02, 2016 - 03:41 PM UTC
3rd Feb update

I sprayed some items on the part fret

the wheel wells

the landing gear and turret assembled and all the glazing masked up using Eduard's excellent masks. These masks save hours upon hours and are really the only after market i use on planes

internals painted sky

prop

close up of the turret

and painted up

Airfix quite nicely provide the wheel well doors so I used them to mask off the wheel wells and got a really nice finish.

Next up, masking the sky and this time round i may try some pre-shading before applying the topside paint as i was quite happy with the way the gunmetal grey i used on the wheel wells tinted the sky on the underside...

more soon
thanks for looking
 _GOTOTOP