_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
A tale of four Jugs
jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
KitMaker: 140 posts
AeroScale: 84 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 03:07 PM UTC
Seven years ago i looked at my stash and noted that I had.....a lot of Jugs, there was M's, N's, D's and razorbacks and bubble top's aplenty. I especially noted a horde of Academy N's and I had a thought about it and it occurred to me that if I built them one at a time as usual, I would probably complete one or two over the next few years and then other interests would most likely doom the rest to the stash until the day I died. So I decided to build them all in one go, that way they would likely see the light of day before my toes turned up. So I duly unpacked my four Jugs and away I went. I got up to this point and for some inexplicable reason the whole project was packed away and all but forgotten about.

In the interim I had moved from Johannesburg to Durban - about 600 Km away and my stash languished in boxes in a friends ceiling for four years. I eventually got my stash back about 4 months ago and started unpacking. It was quite exciting to see some old friends again. I then remembered about the four Jug project and I singled them out, determined to complete the project from so many years back, and three weeks back they found their way to the building desk and so the project commenced. I made the decision to build in relays. In other words I would take number one up to a certain point then put it aside and bring each individual air frame up to the same point before progressing with number one again (hope you get the picture)

My first step was to strip out all the cockpits because my standards had moved up a few notches compared to 7 years back, and using Eduard colour etch and some scratch building, I completed the pit's first on all four.

The next step was to get the air frames complete with wings and canopies (I must just mention here that I think Academy make the thinnest and clearest canopies of any manufacturer - they have an almost vac formed feel about them - simply gorgeous)....

Next up the engines. The P47 shows a lot of cleavage up front and the Academy kit engine is OK but rather sparse in detail so I decided to at least add some plumbing. The first step was to drill holes....many holes, actually a [auto-censored] load of holes 137 per engine to be exact!!!

....and added some copper wire.

.....and some paint especially to tone down the copper leads.

Up to this point I had not really thought too much about schemes as such so I started looking around and it appears that the N is not a favourite of the AM crowd at all. I had already sort of decided on two schemes - both off an Aeromaster set I had bought back then specifically for this project, they are both Hawaiian air national guard schemes - although quite different. After trawling the internet it became quite apparent this the last two may well have to be kit schemes even though they were rubbish because there just isn't anything out there for the N! Eventually I tracked down a set of Monogram decals which had 3 various National Guard options on it. Only one option really appealed to me and I really wanted to include at least one WWII plane as well. After seeing a colour picture of another plane on the internet, I measured up the decals for it and had them made for me by MAV decals here in SA for the cost of R90 (about 7 USD).

So with the schemes now sorted out it was on to the individual aircraft. I decided to achieve about 80% completion on each aircraft as my next set point. I used Alclad Polished Aluminium with an Alclad primer and various shades of Grey and Black as the under coat in all cases.

Number 1

Number 2

http://s173.photobucket.com/user/jug-junkie/media/Aircraft/ACADEMY%20P%2047N%204%20x%20MULTI%20BUILD/0302_zps6i2amtqa.jpg.html

So this is 1 and 2 together at this point.

Number 3

....and that is the story so far.....I have two weeks left to finish this for our annual MOY!
Twentecable
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Overijssel, Netherlands
KitMaker: 339 posts
AeroScale: 244 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 05:49 PM UTC
Quite an unusual approach here but I think you will have 4 fine looking planes in the end. How you held yourself together in this project (especially during the wiring phase) is a miracle I guess. Are you planning to put them all for in a little diorama? That would look pretty nice I guess.

gr TC
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 08:36 PM UTC
Nice project! Looking like nice metal finish and decoration as well.

I like to build multiples also, the incremental time to repeat steps is finally much less doing each kit start-to-finish.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 26, 2015 - 10:11 PM UTC
I've gotta admit that a 4 kit build is rather unusual, but you're beating the odds and getting close to the finish line.

Looking forward to seeing all 4 P-47Ns seating together once finished, and ready for display.

Joel
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2015 - 03:44 AM UTC
Love the way you did the radial engines.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Friday, November 27, 2015 - 04:46 AM UTC
Cool project! I have a couple of these in the stash, it is great to see how well they can be built up.

Keep the updates coming, loving this!

Cheers, D
jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 04:50 PM UTC
Thanks again guys for kind words. Well It looks like I'll not have enough to finish all four by this week end so I am going to have to push through with 3. Just need to weather them up a bit and add all the final bits, should just make it by Friday.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Sunday, November 29, 2015 - 08:47 PM UTC
Geoff,
Still a most impressive trio.
Joel
jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 04:48 PM UTC
Even the best laid plans........

Merry Christmas to all you guys, hope you were all busy either building or ogling new plastic. Finished the first of the Jugs, this was number 3 in the program.

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Friday, December 25, 2015 - 08:20 PM UTC
Just gotta love a NMF. Very nicely done. And just 3 more to go.

Joel
jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 11:06 AM UTC
Second one done and my first of 2016, two to go........

Kilo_Uniform
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Gauteng, South Africa
KitMaker: 280 posts
AeroScale: 141 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 03:08 PM UTC
Hi Geoff

Excellent work!! Got to love the P-47 in NMF. One of my favourite aircraft. 2 down and 2 to go - looking forward to the next update

Regards,
Kobus
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 19, 2016 - 03:46 PM UTC
Beautiful work!
a nice variety of post-war ANG markings, very cool.
 _GOTOTOP