_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
The Horse's are out of the stable!
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 01:23 AM UTC
It is time to get down and dirty and these these ponies run! I am starting my 4 P-51 Mustang Simul build.

On aircraft will be "Etta Jeanne II"

The next two will be both "Lady Eve" and "Big Dick"

The fourth and final will be "Big Beautiful Doll"

Can you see a trend here? Hope so!

Here is a shot of the extra's

I figured it would be just as easy to build all four at a time instead of having them go single file.

Hope to get started on the ponies later this evening, so sit back and enjoy. HOPEFULLY i can finish them.

Herky
BlackWidow
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 1,732 posts
AeroScale: 1,336 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 02:03 AM UTC
Good luck with that quartett of wild horses, Jeremy. Hope you get them all tamed in the end. It shouldn't be so difficult when using Tamiya kits. I will have a look in here every now and then.
Oh, btw, I have something similar in mind with Thunderbolts next year. I have just too many waiting to be build ....
AussieReg
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 07:21 AM UTC
This looks like a bunch of fun Jeremy, I'll be following along. Best of luck with the builds!

BTW, here's an old photo from my workbench, a shelved project for 3 Tuskegee birds. The two bubbletops are Tamiya kits, an old boxing the same as your 8TH AF kit that came pre-chromed. The razorback is an ICM kit.

Cheers, D
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 06:52 PM UTC
Jeremy,

Going to following your build real closely. I love the Tamiya P-51D, and their B as well.
I'm a big fan of doing more than a single a/c of a group. (I have 30 Mustangs of the 357th FG done, only 42 left to go)
I'm really interested in the paints I saw in the first photo as I have read reviews of them (Vallejo?) but never seen them used.
Good luck with the build.

Later
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 - 01:55 AM UTC
I'm curious, and a Mustang noob. I have read that the Mustang's wings were puttied, sanded and the painted aluminum. I only learned this recently. Fascinated with the laminar flow wing, I read on, discovering that even slight paint damage can seriuosly affect the drag-reducing nature of the laminar flow design. So, I'm wondering why Tamiya has included so much wing detail?

Looking forward to watching this build,

Gary
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 07:54 AM UTC
During field maintenance, and in the spring of '44 the camo paint would be stripped off the plane. Most of the putty came off with paint. If it was maintenance, due to the expediency of war, the plane wasn't re-puttied. It was noticed that flight characteristics were not as affected as was first feared they would be.
In the spring of 44, Fighter Command issued an order to have the camo stripped off. It was felt the weight savings more than offset any loss of performance.
With paint off the Mustang, the plane was actually a few miles per hour faster.
That's basically it. If you want a factory fresh Mustang you can alway putty and sand your own wings

Later
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 08:02 AM UTC

Quoted Text

During field maintenance, and in the spring of '44 the camo paint would be stripped off the plane. Most of the putty came off with paint. If it was maintenance, due to the expediency of war, the plane wasn't re-puttied. It was noticed that flight characteristics were not as affected as was first feared they would be.
In the spring of 44, Fighter Command issued an order to have the camo stripped off. It was felt the weight savings more than offset any loss of performance.
With paint off the Mustang, the plane was actually a few miles per hour faster.
That's basically it. If you want a factory fresh Mustang you can alway putty and sand your own wings

Later

Hey Bruce,
Thank you for the answer. I'm still learning the aircraft and it's operational history, so every bit gleaned will be useful once I decide which bird at which point in history I'll model.

Gary
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Saturday, October 31, 2015 - 10:00 AM UTC
You'll have fun - that's such a good kit, and the TD interior set fits so well. I'll always have a soft spot for that combination.
Herchealer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Indiana, United States
KitMaker: 1,523 posts
AeroScale: 175 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 01:18 AM UTC
Thanks for the words of encouragement guys. After a busy weekend full of candy and kids I have gotten a little progress done so far. I have combined all of the kits and sorted the parts by component/subassemblies. Will work it some more this evening hopefully. Also I know that the upper wings are puttied in many cases, but since I am doing four birds and have never worked in NMF before, I will not be filling everything in. I am doing this for the fun of it and not for the 100% accurate representation. . That being said I will try for as much accuracy as I can put into it without going all AMS.

Herky
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, November 01, 2015 - 08:32 PM UTC
Jeremy,
That's some project you've starting on. I've yet to ever attempt to stagger two builds at the same time, and you're going for 4. The major advantage is that all are the same exact kit with some modifications needed for the Korean K. All are NMF with the same checkered nose, with a different color rudder. One looks to have checkered wing tips. So I'll be following right along with your scale assembly line. Should prove to be quite fun as the Tamiya kit is a rock solid as a kit can get.

Joel
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Friday, November 06, 2015 - 12:26 PM UTC
Thats an impressive project, happy modelling with your Mustangs.
 _GOTOTOP