_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
A few models in-progress
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2015 - 02:54 AM UTC
Here are some images of my current group of models on the bench.

Dragon 1/72 scale Me P.1101

Huma 1/72 scale Ju EF 128

Tamiya 1/48 scale Ki-84

Pro-Modeler 1/48 scale Bf 110G-4

Matrixone
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2015 - 09:34 AM UTC
Nice looking stuff, Les. Thank you for showing us more of your excellent painting technique. I've never seen the Junkers before. It looks like some kind of VTOL thing.

Best wishes,

Gary

Edit: typo
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, October 19, 2015 - 10:25 PM UTC
Les,
Nice selection of various scales this time. Looking forward to seeing them as you complete each one.
Joel
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 03:58 AM UTC
Thanks for the comments Gary and Joel!

Gary,
There won't be too much information available on the Ju EF 128, the Russians scooped up all the parts and plans related to the Ju EF 128 at the end of the war when they captured Junkers facilities. For some reason the Russians did not want to share their findings with the Western powers which I feel is a rather rude thing to do to an ally.

Here are a couple more snaps of the Tamiya Ki-84 after the upper surface camouflage paint has been applied.

BTW, this Tamiya kit is an older 1970's era kit and does not have the surface detail like their more recent kits do which makes it more difficult to add paint chipping and weathering to it so I did some random paint fading of the camouflage color to make for a more interesting looking model.

Matrixone
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 01:35 AM UTC
Nice one Les

It's exciting to see you building a Japanese subject.

All the best

Rowan
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 02:14 AM UTC
Thanks Rowan!
The Ki-84 now looks very different than what you see here, some detail painting has been done and part of the paint chipping too but only a some of it...I need to wait until after the decals and flat clear coat are on the model, this way the paint chipping will look more like it was done over a period of time instead of all at once.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2015 - 11:24 PM UTC
Here is the Ki-84 after some detail painting and paint chipping has been done.

Just a short time ago the model was given a coat of Future and once dry I can start putting on the decals.

Matrixone
spaarndammer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Noord-Holland, Netherlands
KitMaker: 1,945 posts
AeroScale: 388 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 12:22 AM UTC
The paintjob on the Ki-84 really looks great with that fading and chipping.

I am interested how that second round of chipping will give the look of gradual wear over time.

Jelger
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2015 - 09:45 PM UTC
Thanks Jelger!

I am using Aeromaster decals on this model and have started putting them on, Aeromaster decals are usually pretty good quality but their research is not the best...the upper wing roundels should have a white border on them and these don't and I will have to use them since I don't have any others to replace them with.
The markings for the tail are the correct size but the decals for the special markings under the cockpit are too large.
I could understand if aftermarket decals might not fit these older kits too well but Aeromaster says the suggested kit for use with this decal sheet is the very same one I am building.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 05:42 AM UTC
I finished the decal job on the Ki-84.

The pre-shading and highlights were covered by the final coat of RLM 76 on the undersurface of the Ho 229, now I can start work on painting the top of it.

Matrixone
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Monday, October 26, 2015 - 09:43 AM UTC
Looking sweet, Les.
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, October 27, 2015 - 12:23 AM UTC
Thanks Gary!

On the Ki-84 I added some weathering to the squadron markings so they would better match the finish on the rest of the airframe.

Matrixone
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 09:18 PM UTC
Les,
Your Ki-84 really turned out spectacularly. The weathered and worn paint scheme with the blending of the finish of the decals all adds up to one excellent build.

Hard to believe that you started with such an old kit from the 70s and produced such a splendid model.

Joel
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 28, 2015 - 11:58 PM UTC
Thanks for your comments Joel!

I am looking forward to getting the flat clear coat on the Ki-84, that will tell me if I can stop with the paint chipping effects.
When I can do so I want to try the larger scale Hasegawa Ki-84, this aircraft is a really good looking design and sure would like a better detailed kit of this aircraft on my shelf.

There are a number of other kits on my work table being painted at the moment, the basic camouflage scheme of the Ju EF 128 has just been painted a few hours ago. I used Xtracolor enamels for the upper surfaces, these paints cover very well but are gloss paints that take a couple days to fully dry so I will set this model aside and catch up on painting some of the others.

Matrixone
phumbles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australia
KitMaker: 82 posts
AeroScale: 81 posts
Posted: Thursday, October 29, 2015 - 03:05 PM UTC
Hi Les, the weathering of the decals looks great on the KI 84, looking forward to seeing it finished. The little Junkers is coming along nicely by the look of it. Phil
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Friday, October 30, 2015 - 04:28 AM UTC
Thanks Phil!

No pictures today but I have much of the Horten painted and the pre-shading on the Bf 110G-4 has been greatly toned down.
I hope to have some pictures in a day or two.

Matrixone
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 01:21 AM UTC
Here are a few more in-progress pictures.

The basic camouflage scheme is now on the Ho 229, notice the paint that was blasted off of the metal heat panels aft of the turbojets.

The Bf 110G-4 has the final coat of RLM 76 sprayed on.

The Me P.1101 also had its final coat of RLM 76 sprayed on and has been given a gloss coat before I add the decals.

A kit that was started just a couple days ago is this Arii 1/72 scale Dinah trainer.

And here is the 1/48 scale Tamiya Dinah III, as can be seen here the interior is nicely detailed so I will take a little more time painting this area, something I don't always do but it would be a crime to ignore detail this nice.

Matrixone
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 02:27 AM UTC
Nice to seeing you do the Dinah, Les. The Japanese had a few cool looking twin engine planes that don't get much press. Looking forward to seeing what you make of her.

Gary
drabslab
_VISITCOMMUNITY
European Union
KitMaker: 2,186 posts
AeroScale: 1,587 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 03:10 AM UTC
That Ho 229 looks really good, what a bizarre cookie
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 05:39 AM UTC
Thanks Gary and Drabslab!

Of all the twin engine aircraft used in WWII the Dinah III gets my vote for best looking aircraft and a few years ago when I had the chance to get the Tamiya kit I snapped it up.

No pictures today but I painted and weathered the props and spinners for the Dinah III and also sprayed the interior a base coat of AN34, detail painting on it will begin soon.

Matrixone
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 07:01 AM UTC
There are so many cool paint schemes for the Frank.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 12:18 PM UTC
Les,
Your Horten is taking on an interesting look with the way you've done the heat panels. It's a cool little plane, and every detail helps.

Gary
berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 03:47 PM UTC
Great modelling, Les. It seems your "production line" is running very well. The paint jobs are stunning as usual.
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
Posted: Wednesday, November 04, 2015 - 11:52 PM UTC
Thanks for the comments!

Matt,
Several Japanese planes had some really cool looking schemes on them, I would build a lot more of them were it not for the lack of reliable information on exact colors they were painted in...late war IJAAF aircraft wore various shades of green and brown and with black and white photographs used in reference books its impossible to tell which color was used on a particular aircraft.
I have the James Gallagher book ''Meatballs and Dead Birds'' and Mr. Gallagher not only took the photographs of the aircraft in his book he made notes of the camouflage colors too, were it not for him taking those notes on the camouflage colors it would be easy to assume all the aircraft in his photographs were painted in some shade of green.

Matrixone
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Thursday, November 05, 2015 - 03:43 AM UTC
Les,
Boy are you turning them out. I'm really impressed with your assembly line. I'm still struggling with the PV-1.

I never knew that you really didn't spend much time in the interiors, I just assumed you did as the exteriors are so well done.

The Tamiya Dinah III does have a really well detailed interior, so go for. As you pointed out the exhaust areas behind the turbos on the Ho 229 really do look quite good.

Joel

_GOTOTOP