_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Hobby Boss 1/48 Bv 141 under way.
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 01:30 AM UTC
Just put the finishing touches on the interior. Kit + Eduard Zoom + a couple scratch built items. One of the latter is the little wire loop beside the pilot's seat which I had to make due to the carpet monster getting the PE one. The other is the box seat in the rear compartment fashioned from a spare Tamiya 1/48 F-16 seat bottom. Eduard has you attaching seat belts directly to the floor but drawings in the Valiant Wings book show a small seat. It's also barely visible in one of the photos. I figured having something there was better than nothing. Also, though they provide three sets of belts, Ed doesn't show the bucket seat on the rails in the instructions.

Note that Eduard did the pre-colored panels as if the interior color is RLM66 but contrary to the instructions and what many online builds show, the Bv 141's interior was RLM02. I masked and painted RLM02 on a few PE parts but left others dark gray for contrast.
Also, the colored PE parts have an odd glossy appearance which looks much better, IMHO, after a clear flat coat.

Masking and painting the transparency interiors is the next chore. :-)

Cheers,
Eric
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 11:26 AM UTC
Hi Eric,
Your interior details look great! I'll b e looking forward to watching you build this.

Gary
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 11, 2015 - 06:45 PM UTC
Eric,
Your cockpit really looks quite nice. Looking forward to following your build.

I've also found that just about all of the Eduard pre-painted IPs have a glossy finish to them. Most real life IPs are matt/flat and show wear from gloved hands. Not sure why Eduard does that as I make lenses out of Micro Kristal Kleer.
Joel
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 12, 2015 - 03:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Eric,
Your cockpit really looks quite nice. Looking forward to following your build.

I've also found that just about all of the Eduard pre-painted IPs have a glossy finish to them. Most real life IPs are matt/flat and show wear from gloved hands. Not sure why Eduard does that as I make lenses out of Micro Kristal Kleer.
Joel

Thank you Joel! Just a warning - updates to the build may be sporadic due to my erratic schedule.

I think the gloss finish on the Eduard parts is due to the type of ink they use. It's quite durable and flexible. On a couple small parts I actually had the color layer lift off the PE part but was easily reattached with some thin Gator Grip Glue. The ink is also impervious to lacquer thinner as I used that to remove the gooey adhesive since I'd rather use CA or the Gator glue.

Cheers,
Eric
 _GOTOTOP