_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Which 109 N-O-T to buy
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 14, 2015 - 06:26 AM UTC
Hi everyone!
I'm in the market for a 1/48 scale bf 109G6. I've built 109E's by Monogram and Hobbycraft ( they still in business?) and the Revell G-10 circa 1995. I never had any complaints about any of the three. I don't mind if a kit is not super detailed as long as it looks the way it should once painted. Problem is that that I've been out of modelling for so. Long, I've forgotten who makes what, and how well...or how poorly. And I've read that some manufacturers have gotten better than they had been before.
I have seen some G6's that have squar-ish fairings over the breech blocks of the MG 131's. I've yet to see any photos of a G6 that had that feature. But I don't know who makes this G6 that I definitely don't want to spend money on.
So, please let me whose 1/48 scale 109 kits you won't buy and why?

Thank you for reading.

Gary
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 03:27 PM UTC

The only really good Me-109 that is close to a G is the Zvezda F kit: With a Vector conversion set you can build a G-2, and borrowing and reshaping Hasegawa G-6 cowl bumps might get you your G-6. The Zvezda kit is outstanding, but accurate props for a G are difficult to align correctly with separate blades, resin or plastic: Use an Otaki G-6 prop, which is outstanding and one piece... I also prefer a modified Eduard Me-110G spinner to anything else (because of the rivets), but that is pushing it...

There is no really good kit of the G-6 in any scale (and I do mean that), but in 1/48th at least two companies are working on one: Eduard re-tooled their disastrous G-6 of last year, and have finished major parts in May: I would expect this out by the end of the year.

Zvezda have promised one but have yet to deliver in years, and many people don't like their assembly on this subject, so I would wait for the Eduard which is barely months away if that.

Gaston
FlorinM
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bucuresti, Romania
KitMaker: 385 posts
AeroScale: 173 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 03:56 PM UTC
Just stay away from Eduard, they readily sacrifice dimensional and proportional accuracy in order to squeeze in more details. Their G-6 is notorious for that.
Naseby
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Slovakia
KitMaker: 825 posts
AeroScale: 476 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 16, 2015 - 05:04 PM UTC
Well I would advise the exact opposite. Dont buy the Friedrich from Zvezda, its overcomplicated and the fit is poor in some places, I never finished mine - also the decals are very poor. Eduard is better in overal quality, but has some shape issues. But nothing major. If You are coming to the hobby after a pause, why not start with the new Emil from Airfix ? I did finished it in maybe 5 days. It is not so detailed as Eduard, but is a great starter.

mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 06:13 AM UTC
Airfix, tamiya, hasegawa and eduard all make decent 109Es. Early Hasegawa 109Es have a goofy nose profile corrected in later kits, check the web about specific kits. Eduard most detailed and weekend editions can be quite cheap. Airfix also usually pretty cheap and mulitiple versions can be made out of the box. None of the above are BAD kits. Academy is just below these IMO, OK but not quite as nice.

For F models there is Zvezda, ICM and hasegawa. Zvezda is king here but wont build itself, alot of detail. Decals are lacking. ICM is similar but definitely rougher, decals look much better but I dont know how good they are. Odd looking prop blades. Hasegawa is average across the board, less accurate but an easier build. Also alot of them out there on secondary market.

For Gs and Ks hasegawa is the "go to" kit. It gets its share of criticism for accuracy but still it has held the line for years. Eduard put out a really nice G6 that I was excited for. Its not accurate in outline in some odd ways. While such criticisms are the norm in this hobby, Eduard did in fact spend months beating us over the head about how this would be the absolute most accurate 109G ever. To their credit theyre correcting it. They also should quickly follow up with other versions too. Eduard also markets their own resin upgrade sets that are designed for their kits if thats your thing, definitely an advantage. Academy also makes Gs and Ks, again they lag behind a little but can be pretty reasonably priced

I dont know your personal standards but if you have time check out online kit reviews with pics to see what your getting into
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Friday, July 17, 2015 - 08:10 AM UTC
Hi guys,
Thank you for your responses. I've read a number of reviews, but they all sound rather positive...the ones I've read, anyway. And everybody has their own pet peeves, so it's good to get different ideas and different perspectives.
I haven't built anything by Zvezda or Eduard, though I do have an Fw-190 by Eduard in my stash. Until recently reading about Airfix's new toolings, I would have avoided the brand. I'll check them out once I'm in the mood to build the E.

Thanks!

Gary

Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

...I haven't built anything by Zvezda or Eduard, though I do have an Fw-190 by Eduard in my stash.

Hi Gary

While I can say I've any major issues with Zvezda's Friedrich, it's worth noting that Eduard's Bf 109G is definitely easier to build than their earlier Fw 190 that came in for a bit of stick in that respect.

It hasn't been mentioned so far, but UM's Gustav is also worth a look. It certainly won't "build itself", and needs a good bit of clean-up - but it has some decent detail for the price and there's the basis for an impressive model in there. (It's almost like a less refined Zvezda kit in ambition.)

All the best

Rowan
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
Posted: Saturday, July 18, 2015 - 03:48 AM UTC
Hi Rowan,
Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I'd only just heard of UM two days ago. I guess I am fortunate that the G6 came with so many load outs and color schemes. Because I'll be building quite a few.
Despite what I've seen written on it, I'm keen to build the 190. The only other 190 I built was the 1970's monogram kit.

Best Wishes!

Gary
mrockhill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 566 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 06:12 AM UTC
Good catch I forgot about UM, I even have their G14 started on the shelf waiting for me to get that ole 109 feeling back again. It seems related to both ICM and Zvezda judging by appearances. Its definitely more in the league of the ICM with smoother plastic but ICM has better clear parts. Both have funny pointed props and awful wheels. Neither have decals that inspire confidence. IMHO after market support is required for these two. Good news is they're usually cheap
SunburntPenguin
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Australian Capital Territory, Australia
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 112 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 19, 2015 - 08:08 AM UTC
Gary

Build what you want to build. The Hasegawa kits are a simple yet effective way to build a collections of Gustavs.

All the kits that have been mentioned will not be confused with any other aircraft bar a 109, despite what the nay sayers have mentioned.

Once Eduard release the retoooled Gustav, you may well be able to pick up the original kit at a reduced rate.

Above all, build for your own enjoyment!
 _GOTOTOP