_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Undercoat or primer color
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 01, 2015 - 11:30 AM UTC
While I've been a modeller for a while now, I have never build a model of a Soviet aircraft. At least until now. I just acquired a model of a Be-4, and am curious as to what the color of the cockpit was. The scale is 1/72, and the kit is by RPM.

Opening the kit, it is basic, so I have my work cut out for me, and as I wasn't familiar with the type, I looked for whatever information I could find, and acquired a copy of a 3/2013 copy of a Russian publication on the aircraft. While my Russian is, at best, less than rudimentary, leafing through it when I first got it, I found an alternate design, the KOR-3, which is intriguing, and something for future research. Anyway, I have a Russian/English dictionary to help me a bit.

Anyway, back to my original question, what color primer was used, and, if it was different, what color was the cockpit painted?
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 09:17 AM UTC
We are talking about one these babies?
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 04:13 PM UTC
Yes.

supergrobi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Schleswig-Holstein, Germany
KitMaker: 16 posts
AeroScale: 16 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 04:54 PM UTC
Don't know, if there was a difference in sea-planes, but as they have used the same colours for the camo, the primer could have been the same as on land, too. So, the best site I know is the following:

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/

Hope, it helps.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 02, 2015 - 06:28 PM UTC
It did help.

From the link: for all interiors, Steel Grey, equivalent being FS-26187.

Is there an equivalent in Testor/Tamiya/Humbrol/Poly-S?

Also, is there a hard copy version of this, as I suspect that I'll be building models of other Soviet aircraft in the not too distant future, including some pre-war airliners.
supergrobi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 01:56 PM UTC
I hadn't heard of a hard copy so far. Also don't have an equivalent for the paint range, because I rely on AKAN and Agama, if it comes to Soviet colours. Maybe the new Hataka range is similar, they are looking quite convincing, too. If you could get your hands on this, I would be quite interested in the results...

On the other hand, if I understand it right, than they used a greyish/ translucent colour-base with metal flakes mixed in (like all others did in this time- zinc chromate, british silver etc. or corrugate later on) which gave the appearance of a metallic grey, so why not going the same way...
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, July 03, 2015 - 08:11 PM UTC
So what would the equivalent be?
supergrobi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Saturday, July 04, 2015 - 01:41 PM UTC
There is no match, without mixing. If you can get your hands on Agama colors, it would be Subframe grey R4M, otherwise you could also use Lifecolor "French Blue-Grey". Toned down a little bit with white/grey (or metal shade, maybe), it looks not bad to me, too. Especially for cockpits I like that a lot. If you can get AKAN paints, I would suggest No. 73040 Steel gray A-14. I think, it is the most accurate of all.
 _GOTOTOP