_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Matchbox Wellesley as an Engine Testbed
Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 04:33 AM UTC
I have a problem. I’m addicted, not only to modelling in general, but to Matchbox kits in particular. I’ve tried to quite, really, but it’s not as easy as it sounds. I love their weird subjects and the fact that you can generally get them for very little money. When you combine this with a growing love of interwar European bombers, that means that Matchbox and Heller are going to be the targets of choice!

Of course, sometimes I like to get a bit wild; the weirdness of a straight Matchbox kit isn’t enough; that’s what happened when I got a hold of the Wellesley. Looking around on the ‘net, I found that they used the Wellesley for several different tests, including for the Hercules radial!

I decided to take my little Matchbox and try and make a test airframe out of it. I guess it worked, because it turned out pretty well, I think. Check it out and let me know what you think; I always value feedback!

https://adamrehorn.wordpress.com/model-kits/planes/matchbox-172-wellesley-mk-i-vickers-model-289/

stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 06:44 AM UTC
Just Awesome.
GazzaS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 4,648 posts
AeroScale: 1,938 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 10:34 AM UTC
That's a great build!
Kepler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Genova, Italy
KitMaker: 74 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 18, 2015 - 07:46 PM UTC
Great job, Adam! I love old kits and good old, fun and “reasonable” modelling. A 1/72 Wellesley is so small that any added detail would be lost to my old eyes, and an overdone weathering would have destroyed its elegance. Thank you for sharing.
There is a minor discrepancy. The Hercules had sleeve valves, without pushrods, but it’s hardly noticeable. Overall it’s a little gem!

Mechworker
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 352 posts
AeroScale: 115 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 06:30 AM UTC
Thanks guys, I appreciate it.

I think I have way more fun with Matchbox kits than the short run, super-detailed ones I sometimes build. If I'm saving any kits from a fire (God forbid!) It'll be the Matchboxes!

You're right, of course, about the sleeve valves. I've had a few people point that out. However, since it was just made from scraps lying around, it doesn't bother me too much. It's still closer to the real thing than any other conversion I've seen!:)

I did win Best RAF at the London (Ontario) Scale Model Show in 2014 with it, though, so the judges must not have noticed my engine boo-boo.
Kepler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Genova, Italy
KitMaker: 74 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Friday, June 19, 2015 - 02:43 PM UTC

Quoted Text

However, since it was just made from scraps lying around, it doesn't bother me too much.

Words of wisdom.

Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 11:12 AM UTC
Very nicely done Adam
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 20, 2015 - 09:38 PM UTC
Hi Adam

Beautiful work! I remember Matchbox's Wellesley when it was released, and I was immediately smitten by the strange beast. I'd love to see a modern kit of it in 1:48 too - it's an aircraft that deserves its spot in the modelling limelight.

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP