_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
P-51 Mustang with rare cammo
pampa14
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Santa Catarina, Brazil
KitMaker: 241 posts
AeroScale: 239 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 06:01 PM UTC

The link below brings some photos of a P-51 Mustang applied with an experimental paint scheme. Does anyone know the name or if this cammo was used operationally?

http://aviacaoemfloripa.blogspot.com.br/2011/01/p-51-mustang-em-camuflagem-exotica.html

I count on your visit.
Kepler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Genova, Italy
KitMaker: 74 posts
AeroScale: 71 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 13, 2015 - 08:39 PM UTC
It was a so-called "confusion camouflage", as proposed by Captain Paul Hexter and test flown in mid 1943. Colours were black and white, with standard OD upper surface. No less odd schemes were tried on B24, with multiple nose and tails painted on side of forward fuselage and fins, while another P51 was disguised as a P40 by painting rounded wingtip and tailplanes. No particular advantage was noted in tests, and some time later USAAF chose to simply remove all camouflage paintings.
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 01:43 AM UTC
I remember seeing a photo of a Brewster Buffalo in a similar camouflage. Can't remember where though. Seems like US Armed Forces were obsessed with the scheme at a point of WW2. I have seen a few PT boats and ships with similar trials. I wouldn't be surprised if I see photo of a Tommy Gun with such a camo.
Emeritus
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Uusimaa, Finland
KitMaker: 2,845 posts
AeroScale: 1,564 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 03:08 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I remember seeing a photo of a Brewster Buffalo in a similar camouflage. Can't remember where though. Seems like US Armed Forces were obsessed with the scheme at a point of WW2. I have seen a few PT boats and ships with similar trials. I wouldn't be surprised if I see photo of a Tommy Gun with such a camo.

It was probably the Barclay camo? Apparently it was tried on some Devastators as well. Really interesting camo scheme!
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Monday, June 15, 2015 - 03:39 AM UTC

Quoted Text

It's based around the same concept of naval dazzle camouflage. The idea their is to fool visual targeting, based of course on the mark1 human eyeball. The aim is to trick the observer into thinking he is looking at a ship moving in a different direction, speed and even class of ship than you really are. So we see a variety of schemes applied which include false bow wakes (on fronts and rears of ships), stripes, block patterns and even counter-shading under gun turrets to make them invisible. From a distance and in rough seas it was often very effective, especially against submariners who would only have a limited view of the world above them anyway. They would be in variety of colours but usually included greys, white, blues, greens and even pink!
A quick example here. One to note is HMS Bentinck, a model of which I recently built, it has a false wake and stern painted on to make the ship appear to be smaller and moving at speed.

_GOTOTOP