_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Late War German seam sealant color?
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 05:59 AM UTC
So I am looking to do some late war German jets with ratty/incomplete paint finishes, much like the He 162 in the most recent Weathering magazine, but I am finding contradictory information about the color of the sealant applied to the seams.

Some sources show grey seam sealant, some an olive drab/dk green, and some a bright yellow. One was a salmon pink.

These seams look darker more grey to my eye, but of course it is a black and white photo.
Is there any definitive information on this sealant for late war ac?
Do 335, Me 262, He 162, etc.
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 07:07 AM UTC
My observations in the various references I have for the Me 262 an He 162 was that the colour of the gap filler was variable and variable on the same aircraft.

The colours I'm aware of are greys and redish browns.
MLD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Vermont, United States
KitMaker: 3,569 posts
AeroScale: 419 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 07:24 AM UTC
Thanks for the reply Carl,
I found a couple of other images in the large scale planes forum, http://forum.largescaleplanes.com/index.php?showtopic=24893&page=3
and these pics,

From these, I am going to go with a mix of greys over the seams.
Mike
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:33 AM UTC
There are a large number of BW images of Me 262s and they shades of the filler are very variable. So there was clearly more then one type of filler as well as variability with maybe one product.

I also suspect that some filled joints were then painted to seal the filler as a preparation for the overall coats. And this process may add again to the variability in shads we see in the BW pics.
Antilles
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nordrhein-Westfalen, Germany
KitMaker: 671 posts
AeroScale: 614 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 10, 2015 - 11:48 AM UTC
Hallo Mike,
probably in the last months of the war they took,whatever was in reach. I found two pictures of the He 162, where the filling material looks brighter. I hope it will help You.

Oliver
 _GOTOTOP