_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
1/48 Italeri Hawker Typhoon 1B
BradCancian
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Queensland, Australia
KitMaker: 285 posts
AeroScale: 281 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 03:26 PM UTC
Hi folks,

After a 4 month hiatus from modelling due to work sending me all over the world, I’ve finally found some time at the bench. I wanted a fairly quick and easy build so I picked up the Italeri 1/48 Hawker Typhoon 1B, which I believe is a re-box of the Hasegawa kit. I know next to nothing about these aircraft so I pretty much went OOB, save for adding some padding and harnesses to the seat belts, the ignitor wiring for the rockets, and the antenna to the rear fuselage. The fit of the fuselage insert and lower wings was not great and needed a decent amount of filler, sanding and some re-scribing. Otherwise the kit was very nice.

I went with one of the kit schemes, ZY-Y from 247 SQN, France, June 1944 (I read that the Typhoon only carried the ‘full’ invasion stripes for a very short time during and after D-Day, so I weathered the stripes slightly less). I masked and painted the stripes, national markings and codes. Paint was mainly gunze acrylics, except for the Ocean Grey, which was my first go at using Lifecolour acrylics (which I had no dramas with whatsoever – they even brush paint very nicely).

All up this one took me a bit under two weeks to build. The low parts count helped 

All comments, criticisms and feed back welcomed!

Cheers

BC
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 05:27 PM UTC
Brad,
A most impressive build, and you accomplished this all in two weeks time. I can assure you that it would have taken this old timer nearly two months to equal your build.

As for your admission of your build being mostly OOB, I see no reason to have even mentioned it. Your presentation of an overall operational aircraft with the appropriate weathering is exceptional, including your decision to go lightly on the weathering of the Invasion Strips. The detail pictures of your cockpit offers us a nicely done and weathered IP and cage with seat.

Looking carefully at each picture, the weathering, especially the paint wear and tear on leading edges along with the effects of dirt, grease, and grime, all add up to a most realistic presentation.

Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, April 19, 2015 - 07:07 PM UTC
You've achieved the kind of look I really like on this kind of aircraft! I think Joel sums it all up!

As for criticism: no, I can't find anything to help you improve as a modeller, I'm sorry !

Regarding OOTB: starting with the right kit, you really don't need much in the way of extra stuff in order to get a great result! Spending your effort and care on the kit itself usually goes a long way!

Finally, I had no idea that Italeri had boxed this one...

Magnus
thegirl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 6,743 posts
AeroScale: 6,151 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 05:54 AM UTC
Nice to see something different other then a string bagger . Wonderful job on this one Brad !

Terri
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Monday, April 20, 2015 - 10:55 AM UTC
Very nice build and excellent paint work. The photography really shows of the finishing in it's best light.
Totalize
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 743 posts
AeroScale: 151 posts
Posted: Tuesday, April 21, 2015 - 01:33 AM UTC
Lovely piece of work there Rob. I really like the invasion striped Tifffies with rockets. I built a late war IB from RCAF 439 Squadron and posted here some months back. No invasioin stripes of course and she is carrying bombs.

Thanks for sharing!

Dave.
 _GOTOTOP