_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
F4U-1A Corsair
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:54 PM UTC
This build is Tamiya's 1/48 F4U-1A Corsair kit, built oob with some minor detailing here and there. This first couple of posts will show a few photos from the build, followed by later posts of the finished aircraft. The build served mostly as a test bed for me to try a couple of different variations of the hairspray technique. The plane is much more heavily weathered then I normally do as reference photos showed Corsairs that flew from coral strip in the Solomons displayed a lot of chipped paint feom the coral dust. Overall the build turned out ok and I may develop a Pacific island based diorama with PSP and a palm tree to display it on in the future.

Ernest

I only added a seatbuilt and a few knobs/levers to the cockpit and detailed the engine slightly by adding an ignition harness.

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 01:07 PM UTC
Following are some shots of the model as I prepared it for, and then executed the chipping and scuffing. The final two photos show the Corsair after decaling and after I had added fading, highlights and shadows to the airframe.

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 01:26 PM UTC
Ok, now that I have pulled my head from my fourth point of contact as we paratroopers say, following will be two post of the finished model. Overall it was a relaxing build that turned out fairly well.

Ernest

greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 01:28 PM UTC
The final set of pictures.

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 03:22 AM UTC
Ernest,
Well done.

You certainly achieved your goal of a operational looking F4U-1A. The tri color paint scheme shows a most reasonable and realistic amount of weathering. Coupled with your restrained use of the hairspray technique, your Corsair certainly has that "used but not abused" look to it.
Joel
AJLaFleche
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 8,074 posts
AeroScale: 328 posts
Posted: Monday, March 09, 2015 - 04:16 AM UTC
Nice reasonably done chipping. One disconnect. The chipping on the left wing ends abruptly at the national insignia. Also, red paint fades quickly in the sun and I would expect to see a lighter shade of red on the upper surface surround and on the upper half of the fuselage insignia.
 _GOTOTOP