_GOTOBOTTOM
Cold War (1950-1974)
Discuss the aircraft modeling subjects during the Cold War period.
Hosted by Tim Hatton
News
aoadecals: AOAdecals - New Decal Manufacturer
betheyn
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,560 posts
AeroScale: 2,225 posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 12:50 PM UTC

AOAdecals is a new decal manufacturer focusing primarily on USN and USMC attack aircraft in combat. First releases are already available, more coming soon.rnrn

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, March 02, 2015 - 08:22 PM UTC
Andy,
Honestly, my 1st reaction was Oh no, not another decal company. God only knows we already have way more then we need. As a point of reference, my last three builds have had decals from 3 different companies, and in most cases the subject matter has been or is available from multiple sources. So why the need for another decal company?

Then I took a look at their site, and I was pretty darn impressed. They, like other small decal companies focus on a few subjects and or time frame. But the big difference is that they include complete stenciling.

No other AM decal company does that with US jets. They rely on the kit decals for that. And that has been a major issue with me. stencils often end up with silvering issues because they don't lay down like the AM decals, are too thick, and are a passing thought by the kit manufacture. What's more, besides the Stencils in the Academy F4 kits, none seem nearly anywhere close to be complete. I'm sure that the Academy stencils aren't complete either, but for 1/48 scale they look the part.

Their decal and stenciling instructions are very complete with written information, and detailed diagrams with arrows so you get it right the 1st time.

I would love to give them a try. The problem is that their present offerings in 1/48 scale are just A-6 Intruders, and I just finished building the Hobby Boss A-6E. While I'm thinking about doing a A or TRAM, neither is on my to build list for this year. Hopefully their next release of USN and Marine Attack aircraft will include other makes that I would want to build this year.

Joel
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Tuesday, March 03, 2015 - 02:14 AM UTC
What Joel said.
ziggyfoos
_VISITCOMMUNITY
North Carolina, United States
KitMaker: 199 posts
AeroScale: 18 posts
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 09:10 PM UTC
The low-viz 1/32 sheet will be available early next week:

32-003 The Intruders' Sandbox - USN/USMC A-6E Intruders In Libyan Strikes & Desert Storm

_GOTOTOP