_GOTOBOTTOM
Early Aviation
Discuss World War I and the early years of aviation thru 1934.
News
Wingnut Wings: AEG G.IV - Details & Prices
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 01:41 PM UTC

Richard Alexander has sent us full details of Wingnut Wings' latest stunning release - the AEG G.IV in Early and Late versions.

Read the Full News Story

If you have comments or questions please post them here.

Thanks!
RYSZARD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
KitMaker: 486 posts
AeroScale: 485 posts
Posted: Thursday, February 26, 2015 - 10:56 PM UTC
Translator
Sorry, but this model is not on my budget
Too expensive, and even how to add a 23% customs fee is a tragedy
It's hard, you will only dream of.
I thought it will be priced at Gotha, because it is similar in size model
In Poland, unfortunately, do not earn enough to buy so expensive models
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 05:10 AM UTC
The is OUTSTANDING news for modelers, and I'm glad to hear about it.
StukaJr
_VISITCOMMUNITY
California, United States
KitMaker: 346 posts
AeroScale: 292 posts
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 05:26 AM UTC
I was also hoping for Gotha level pricing, however the AEG G.IV seems to come with quite a bit more than Gotha - namely, the decal for fuselage / wing camouflage is quite expansive addition to the kit...

It's a smaller, quite detailed and with some fantastic schemes to get out of the box. Price is daunting, but subject is attractive - or am I just talking myself into getting one?
RYSZARD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Friday, February 27, 2015 - 03:25 PM UTC

Quoted Text

I was also hoping for Gotha level pricing, however the AEG G.IV seems to come with quite a bit more than Gotha - namely, the decal for fuselage / wing camouflage is quite expansive addition to the kit...

It's a smaller, quite detailed and with some fantastic schemes to get out of the box. Price is daunting, but subject is attractive - or am I just talking myself into getting one?

OK !But, not with $ 100 more
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 02:33 AM UTC
Hi Ryszard

I know it's a hefty leap, but Richard explains the price rise quite carefully in his press release. The very fact that the AEG costs Wingnuts over twice as much to mould as the Gotha (which he feels may be under-priced) is bound to make a huge difference.

I suppose the positive way of looking at it is that you are looking at possibly 3-6 months' worth of solid really enjoyable top quality modelling (depending on your build-speed) - and if you compare that with the price of other forms of entertainment and it's pretty reasonable.

All the best

Rowan
warmonger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oklahoma, United States
KitMaker: 217 posts
AeroScale: 82 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 05:28 AM UTC
I wish they would release it without the camo decals. I prefer the painted schemes of the early kit. That is just to much decals that I don't need or want to pay for. I would be willing to pay a little more then the Gotha, but I'm sorry - I can't justify that much to my family.
bill_c
Staff MemberCampaigns Administrator
MODEL SHIPWRIGHTS
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 10,553 posts
AeroScale: 1,198 posts
Posted: Saturday, February 28, 2015 - 09:32 PM UTC
Gents, if it's not your plane, then don't buy it. The rise of expensive 32-scale planes like these and the HK Models kits isn't deterring some of us. So let's not make this a kvetch-fest about pricing. I consider Hasegawa kits, for example, to be outrageously-priced because you will need to spend 2x-3x the kit in order to get the same level of detailing that comes OOB with WNW releases.
RYSZARD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 12:53 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ryszard

I know it's a hefty leap, but Richard explains the price rise quite carefully in his press release. The very fact that the AEG costs Wingnuts over twice as much to mould as the Gotha (which he feels may be under-priced) is bound to make a huge difference.

I suppose the positive way of looking at it is that you are looking at possibly 3-6 months' worth of solid really enjoyable top quality modelling (depending on your build-speed) - and if you compare that with the price of other forms of entertainment and it's pretty reasonable.

All the best

Rowan

Translator

The cost model can accept .but I somehow bothers me is that I have yet to pay extra in Poland 23% of the customs fees, it is an additional $ 58

All in all I would have to pay a deposit for the $ 287
But it can buy it in the future

greet
Richard H.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 01:21 AM UTC
Hi Ryszard

I sympathise with you on that - the UK's tax and handling fees are also a source of discouragement for modellers here.

The handling fees grate with me in particular, as I've been charged on items that are clearly marked as samples and should be exempt. On one occasion they wouldn't even tell me what an item was or where it had come from until I'd paid a really hefty fee, so I said "Fine, send it back - I'm not expecting anything and I can't afford to pay that much to find out what it is!" After some enquiries with manufacturers, I discovered what it was - a sample, and the fee was greater than the value of the kit!

All the best

Rowan
RYSZARD
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Krakow, Poland
Posted: Wednesday, March 04, 2015 - 03:10 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Ryszard

I sympathise with you on that - the UK's tax and handling fees are also a source of discouragement for modellers here.

The handling fees grate with me in particular, as I've been charged on items that are clearly marked as samples and should be exempt. On one occasion they wouldn't even tell me what an item was or where it had come from until I'd paid a really hefty fee, so I said "Fine, send it back - I'm not expecting anything and I can't afford to pay that much to find out what it is!" After some enquiries with manufacturers, I discovered what it was - a sample, and the fee was greater than the value of the kit!

All the best

Rowan

Translator
Sorry , but there's nothing you can do. Bureaucracy and regulations

Ryszard H.
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 10:32 PM UTC
Hi again

If you heard a loud bang earlier, it was most likely the sound of my jaw hitting the floor as I opened a package from Wingnut Wings! I'd recently bought an SE5a and assumed that was what had arrived...

It wasn't. Instead, it was probably the most amazing kit I've ever seen!

I'll be out of action over Easter, but I'll get this beauty reviewed as soon as possible when I get back, prior to starting what should be simultaneously the most exciting and daunting build I've ever tackled! I think I'm going to need a bigger workbench...

All the best

Rowan
badwolf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Anglia, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 79 posts
AeroScale: 75 posts
Posted: Saturday, April 04, 2015 - 12:17 AM UTC
Its a pity Wingnuts can't send us all a sample to review, i was dreaming of having an o/100 or o/400 but if the prices are going to be around the same or even higher, [if and when they get around to doing one] so it might have to stay a dream!
Merlin
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
Posted: Sunday, April 05, 2015 - 11:07 PM UTC
Hi Keith

It's actually a kit I'd started saving up to buy - so you can imagine just how privileged I feel to receive one as a sample! Suffice to say, its arrival has turned all my build plans for the year on their heads, because it's an opportunity I certainly won't squander. I've got the review blocked out, so I'm hoping to set up a workbench devoted to the project and make a tentative start later this week (work at Oxfam permitting).

All the best

Rowan
 _GOTOTOP