_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
DORNIER DO-335 "Destroyer" - 1/32 / HK Models
elmarriachi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Baden-Württemberg, Germany
KitMaker: 813 posts
AeroScale: 98 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 08:34 PM UTC
Hello,

finally – pictures of the finished DORNIER DO-334(B) „Destroyer“.

This is the wonderful brand new kit in scale 1/32 by company HK Models which received additional PE-parts from Profimodeller as well as turned brass metal parts from the same supplier. The wheels were replaced by sagged Resin wheels from Eduard’s Brassin series, the landing gear is white metal parts from Scale Aircraft Conversion from the USA, the seatbelts from HGW.

The painting was made only with colors by Lifecolor, the weathering with several oil colors, Tamiya Weathering sets, pigments and otherstuff. The shiny metal parts were polished with metal pigments in iron and chrome.

If you want to see more of the construction and painting or if you want to see lot of more pictures of the finished kit please check my webstite as well.

Now here we go …

Thank you very much for your time and interest – and I hope that you enjoy it!

if you want to see more pictures of the finished model or of the assemply, painting and weathering please check out my website.

Michael
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:09 PM UTC
Michael,

A fascinating aeroplane in and of itself, yet so much more cool in a large scale. You did a great job!
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 09:22 PM UTC
It IS a beauty. Quick legal/modeling question. Did you "white out" the "tail insignia" in the photos or the actual model? I would hope the pictures.

Does German law allow you to build it (1) with the insignia for display just at home (say, "personal use") and (2) for public display, say a modeling contest? I would suspect the answer to (1) is "yes" and (2) is "no," which of course undermines the utility of (1).

In any event, it looks GREAT. My compliments.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 10:05 PM UTC
Michael,
Just an absolutely beautifully built model, with an near perfect paint camo scheme, with just the right amount of weathering to yield a well maintained but operational displayed aircraft.

My only suggestion is to use some additional lighting to better control the deep shadows in some of your pictures.

I've asked basically the same questions as Brian did to other German modelers about the use of a Swastika as a historic symbol when depicting WW11 aircraft. So I'm assuming that you just blanked it out in your photographs, as it's legal for personal and private use, but it's a crime in Germany and Austria to display it publically.

Joel
matrixone
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Oregon, United States
KitMaker: 869 posts
AeroScale: 862 posts
Posted: Sunday, January 25, 2015 - 11:36 PM UTC
Very impressive model Michael!

I especially like the look of the paints you used.

One thing that you might want to correct is the nav lights on the wings...they are reversed and the red light should be on the left hand side but this should be very easy to fix.

Matrixone
elmarriachi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 02:49 PM UTC
Hello,
thank you very much!
reg. the lights on the wings: I have changed it I could have changed it without damaging anything. The plane will get a wooden base (without diorama) and maybe a mechanic on it....

The swastikas are only covered on the pictures. On the airplane the swastikas are 100% real In Germany it is not allowed to show it anybody.... for personal use it is ok, but you have to take care that nobody sees it.... through the window, .....
If you present the kit on a show or internet, magazine, .... then you have to cover. Then it would be not allowed to use / show it.... [auto-censored]ing law....!

Cheers
Michael
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 08:28 PM UTC
Michael,
You can't have swastikas showing at a German IPMS contest? That makes little to no rational sense. The allow the flying crosses, Nazi aircraft with and without figures etc., but you can't finish the replica realistically.
Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Monday, January 26, 2015 - 11:11 PM UTC
I agree with Joel about the extraordinary strictness of the law. It does seem over the top when applied to displaying purely historical subjects such as model aircraft, especially 70 years after the end of WWII. How anyone could view that as an endorsement of the ideology is beyond me.

Anyway, the build is a beauty. I am glad you have a completely accurate model at home! One of these days I must get around to building one of the 1/48 335's in my stash. Perhaps in captured USAAF markings, which have always intrigued me.
elmarriachi
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 04:16 PM UTC
Don't ask about Germans.... 99,9% of all Germans still feel responsible for what happend long time ago.... I fell sorry about that... but I am not responsible... I wasn't alive... my parents were not allive during WW2.....
But German politivs will make be feel responsible....

In Germany the Swastika is forbidden everywhere.. also the flags from the Nazis.... all stuff.. SS is forbidden, ....

You won't believe if I say that even on the cars licence plate it is forbidden to use NS, SS, HJ .....

How will you understand that if I as a German guy could not understand it ...

I hate that .... Germans are a stupid nation today....
SGTJKJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Kobenhavn, Denmark
KitMaker: 10,069 posts
AeroScale: 3,788 posts
Posted: Tuesday, January 27, 2015 - 04:53 PM UTC
Very cool build, Michael. Very nice details and excellent weathering.

Thanks for sharing
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 28, 2015 - 06:33 PM UTC
Sehr, sehr schönes arbeit Michael! Your paint job and weathering are spot on. I live in Bavaria and deal with the same issues with the "Hakenkreuz" at model shows, it is a bit tiresome. And I have gotten a few strange looks from visitors to my home if they happen to see the model display room. Even when I explain that I build aircraft to be historically correct some people still seem to have an issue with the dreaded swastika.

Ernest
cnq007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 102 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 02:31 AM UTC
Very very nice build and excellent painting on the model. There is a minor thing that it would be much more realistic if inside canopy was painted especially when showing close up shots of the cockpit with canopy open.
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Saturday, January 31, 2015 - 03:46 AM UTC
Great looking build, very nice detail work.

I've always loved the look of this aircraft, unusual configuration but very sleek.

Cheers, D
 _GOTOTOP