_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Airfix Spitfire Mk.I
JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 07:13 AM UTC
Hi all. Airfix's new(ish) Mk.I kit in 1/72. Nice details, fits well and plastic is somewhat soft and cudly. It is the first version that entered service in 1938. I made this as a new year's present for my girlfriend....well she picked it, weird ain't she? It was my first time on RAF camouflage, it took me a while to figure out what kind of prosedure I shoud take but hey it worked fine for the first time. Will definitely build a few Spitties more in the near future.
I started with trying to build the Ironsight that these early models have. It was frustrating to realize that the ring was gone after I removed the canopy masks 8(

Then some colour alterations over the masked pattern. I knew these were the pre war times and they were taking btter care of their aircraft but the photoes I inspected begged the difer. And I always prefer used looks.

Decals applied. I must admit they were like a poetic dream.

Didn't like the idea of decaling the MG posts so...

And then this and that I forgot to shoot the rest. And here after nearly a month it is finished(I missed the MoM since I forgot to shoot) here is the end product:

Cheers...
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 12:31 PM UTC
Very nicely done! Those new Airfix kits are simply great I think, especially considering their very fair pricing. It really looks Spitfire to me!

I'll have to get around to building mine soon I feel, a Mk I is missing in my Spit lineup!

Magnus
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 12:48 PM UTC
Hi Yalım,
Yes this is a very nice kit and you have made a very good job of it Everyone knows that you just can't have too many Spitfires
I am just curious about the markings though? I have never seen a Spitfire with just one upper wing roundel and it looks like the under wing roundel is the other upper wing one? Did you lose the under wing roundel? The under wing roundels were sometimes left off or over painted, especially with all the switching of the underside colour but the upper wing roundels never were (to my knowledge anyway )
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 02:51 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Yalım,
Yes this is a very nice kit and you have made a very good job of it Everyone knows that you just can't have too many Spitfires
I am just curious about the markings though? I have never seen a Spitfire with just one upper wing roundel and it looks like the under wing roundel is the other upper wing one? Did you lose the under wing roundel? The under wing roundels were sometimes left off or over painted, especially with all the switching of the underside colour but the upper wing roundels never were (to my knowledge anyway )

In the mid-1930s there seems to have been some experimentation and trials with roundels.

See my posts,14th, 17th, and 19th March here:

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/forums/219735&page=1

My version of WZ*T.

JollyRoger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Istanbul, Turkey / Türkçe
KitMaker: 1,241 posts
AeroScale: 616 posts
Posted: Wednesday, January 21, 2015 - 04:31 PM UTC
Thanks for the kind remarks gentlemen.
Yes Magnus it is, eventhough one of the earlier and cruder molds of their come-back era, a delight, purely. I can't express how happy I am that Airfix made such a return. I am waiting for a proper P38 from them now.Just be careful if you need to sand it, the plastic is rather soft and you can overdo it without even noticing.
Mal; I just followed the instructions and searched some photos since it seemed a little curious to me too.
Antonio, that one looks even better:}
 _GOTOTOP