_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Eduard F6F-3 Hellcat
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 05:08 PM UTC
Hello all, I wanted to share a few photos of my second build of, what for me, is the building season. The model is Eduard's 1/48th scale Profipack F6F-3 Hellcat. I built it straight from the box with no AM stuff. The only three modifications I made were to scratch build a wiring harness out of copper wire and evergreen rod; unfortunately you can't see much of it, two throttle handles and the antenna wire made from magic line. I airbrushed the kit with a combination of Tamiya, Vallejo and Lifecolor paints. Weathering was done via a combo of AK Interactive weathering agent, Tamiya weathering pastels and a silver pen. Overall, I am fairly pleased with the results. Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Ernest

Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 07:16 PM UTC
Ernest,
A very well done OOB build. Excellent camo paint scheme with a very tight soft edged demarcation line. In the few pictures that I could see of the engine, the ignition wiring looks quite nice, and really adds to the overall look of the double WR2800 engine.

I really like your overall weathering effect, as it has a well used but certainly not abused USN look to it. Could you be a little more specific on just how you achieved it.

My only issue isn't with your build, but with Eduard's decals. The National insignias should be a darker shade of Blue as seen on the over lay of the Dark Sea Blue, rather then lighter. Not much you could have done about that, and it is a small issue at that.

Over all, as I said, I love and appreciate all things Grumman's.

Joel
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 07:35 PM UTC
[quote] Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Nothing to criticize here! Beautiful job. On a lark I checked and the pilot, Alex Vraicu is still alive at age 96. Amazing.

Where are you from in Bayern? Ich habe in München von 1967 bis 1969 gewohnt.
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 10:47 PM UTC
Hi Joel, thank you the kind words. To answer your questions about the weathering, here is how I did it:

Panel Lines: I used a thinned AK Interactive brown wash to highlight the panel lines. You might remember the 1/32 Eduard Bf-109E, representing Helmut Wick's mount circa late 1940, that I posted here in January; I used the same technique as one that build.

General Grim: Again, I used the AK brown wash, very sparingly to dirty up the wheel wells and other areas. You have to use a very small amount of the wash as a little goes a very long way.

Oil and Fuel Stains: Here I used a combination of AK Interactive "Fuel Stain" and an old bottle of "oil stain" that I mixed up several years ago.

Exhaust and gun stains: I used Tamiya weathering pastels to simulate this type of weathering. For the gun stains I used the "soot" stain, putting it on with an old small paint brush. The exhaust staining was done by putting "soot" down first using both the old brush and a mascara sponge. This was followed by the "rust" color until I was satisfied with the blending.

Paint Fading: I do this by airbrushing Vallejo's Flat on the model. I don't thin the mix as much and lay down very light coats, blow drying the model between them, until I get the faded look I want. I mix about 10% of Vallejo's flat with distilled water for this. It is important to make sure you spray close enough that the mix goes on moist - not too dry and not running - for optimal results. Takes some practice, but I like this technique better than salt fading as I have more control.

Sincerely,
Ernest
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
Posted: Thursday, November 27, 2014 - 10:53 PM UTC
Hi Brian, thank you for the compliment! That it amazing that Alex Vraicu is still alive, one of the few veterans of WWII left I'm afraid.

I live in the Oberpfalz District of Bavaria near the small town of Hahnbach. It is slightly less then 200 kms from Munich. Munich is a great city to visit; and I usually get there 3-4 times a year.

Sincerely,
Ernest

[quote]
Quoted Text

Comments and criticisms are welcome.

Nothing to criticize here! Beautiful job. On a lark I checked and the pilot, Alex Vraicu is still alive at age 96. Amazing.

Where are you from in Bayern? Ich habe in München von 1967 bis 1969 gewohnt.

_GOTOTOP