_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
I have a question about a kit
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 08:24 AM UTC
I just got in the mail a 1/48 scale kit of a Republic Seabee. I bid on it in Ebay, and seemed to have been the only person interested in it. When I saw the ad I was intrigued, because I was not aware that the Seabee had been kitted before. The kit manufacturer is Pegaso.

When I got the kit, quite naturally, I opened it and started looking at it, and, having had some experience working on the silly thing a few years ago, just by eyeballing it, it is not bad. This is an old kit, and I now know what country Pegaso is, or was, in, Mexico, the instructions being in Spanish only.

The only minus about this kit is the fact that there are no windows, just spaces within tiny raised lines, which really isn't that big a deal, because making the windows shouldn't be very difficult.

One interesting tidbit about this kit is that it comes with its own diorama, which are three pieces of cardboard decorated to look like a dock on a lake or a big pond.

But, now I'm curious about this kit and the manufacturer.

The fact that it is a Seabee makes it worth any trouble, as I have found that there are too few civilian aircraft being kitted, especially one like this, which isn't as well known as the Cubs and Supercubs, or a couple 100 series Cessnas or Beechcraft.
TAFFY3
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 2,531 posts
AeroScale: 38 posts
Posted: Thursday, November 06, 2014 - 09:28 AM UTC
IIRC, The SeaBee was a kitted a long time ago by an American company called ITC, which went under in the 60's. Many of their kits were re-released by various manufacturers over the years, some still are. I think that might possibly be the origin of the molds for your kit. Somebody else might be able to shed more light on it. Al
 _GOTOTOP