_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
AMT/ERTL's Douglas A-20J.
jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
KitMaker: 140 posts
AeroScale: 84 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 07:14 PM UTC
This is AMT/ERTL's Douglas A-20J.

The kit looks pretty good if somewhat sparse but nothing that can't be fixed by AM goodies. I'll be using Eduards Cockpit set (actually very little of it fits). The kit comes with True Details wheels and raft - the wheels are simply miles better than the horrible kit ones - the diamond pattern on the kit wheels is "layered"on - looking like snake skin, rather than cast with recess tread and looks appalling!
I must say from dry fitting, everything seems to snuggle up nice and tight. Another huge "needs fixing"area is the main wheel wells, they are just empty caverns and the forward section looks straight into the empty nacelles area. Bombadier's area is also going to have to get some extra trash to make it look a bit busier.

Cockpit went OK but as I said i could use very little of ED's interior set...note the Millipit seat cushion

All major sections fit really well and besides a slight upward warp of the wings tips which hot water sorted out, they are all ready for assembly....

berndm
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Niedersachsen, Germany
KitMaker: 844 posts
AeroScale: 630 posts
Posted: Monday, November 03, 2014 - 07:20 PM UTC
Great start Geoff, the cockpit look really good ! Got this kit in my stash too and will watch your build with interest !
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 03:48 AM UTC
Geoff,
Nice start as the cockpit looks pretty good. Once the fuselage halves are glued together, you won't see that much of it to be concerned about.

The wheel wells and Bombay will take considerable work. What are your plans for adding some detail?

Lately my detailing philosophy has me more concerned with adding details that will be seen when the model is on it's wheels in my display case, or being photographed ( I don't turn the model over for a picture shoot). Since I no longer build for contests, but rather static displays, I've drastically cut down on the amount of detailing I try to do in wheel wells, or areas that will only been seen if the model is turned over.

Joel
phantom_phanatic309
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 2,568 posts
AeroScale: 1,619 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 07:30 AM UTC
I'll be watching this with interest, I have one in the stash as well. I seem to remember that AMT did almost all the A-20 variants in the catalogue the old model shop in my town used to have. Course I was more interested in the Trek and Star Wars kits at the time so never thought to get any.
Thearmorer
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 121 posts
AeroScale: 118 posts
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 01:37 PM UTC
Geoff,
Your build's looking real good at this stage. Just a work of caution though, AMT put the main landing gear mount holes too far aft. I built one of these babies several years ago and if memory serves me right, I had to move all 4 mount holes 1/4 inch (6.35mm) forward. The main strut should be just aft of the forward edge of the wheel well opening. Since all 4 mount holes are parallel, just draw a fore/aft line thorough the left and right pair of mount holes for each main gear and mark four new hole locations, each 6.35mm forward of the existing hole. The drawback on this adjustment is it will put the center of gravity on an already tail heavy model even further back. Note: Since by your pictures you've got the nacelles together already, the measure twice cut once school of thought would dictate dry-fitting the nacelle and line up the main gear to make sure my memory on spacing is good.
jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, November 04, 2014 - 08:31 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Geoff,
Your build's looking real good at this stage. Just a work of caution though, AMT put the main landing gear mount holes too far aft. I built one of these babies several years ago and if memory serves me right, I had to move all 4 mount holes 1/4 inch (6.35mm) forward. The main strut should be just aft of the forward edge of the wheel well opening. Since all 4 mount holes are parallel, just draw a fore/aft line thorough the left and right pair of mount holes for each main gear and mark four new hole locations, each 6.35mm forward of the existing hole. The drawback on this adjustment is it will put the center of gravity on an already tail heavy model even further back. Note: Since by your pictures you've got the nacelles together already, the measure twice cut once school of thought would dictate dry-fitting the nacelle and line up the main gear to make sure my memory on spacing is good.

Thanks for this, i will need to do some head scratching about this one because the problem is that since the last update I have now also created a forward firewall in the wheel well because of the large un-sightly cavern in the nacelle...

and I started to add some detail to wing section of the nacelle so i may just have to live with gear position on this one but thanks for the heads up anyway.

jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 02:01 PM UTC
Haven't posted in awhile so i'll not comment but rather just put up some pics of the progress thus far.

Just got to finish the engines and nacelles then on to the paintwork. Got the first engine almost done....

AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 05:35 PM UTC
Great work so far Geoff, very nice detailing.

I started the P-70 version of this kit for the Nightfighters campaign a couple of years back and it sits forlornly in the hangar queen stash waiting for my life to become a bit less complicated!

I look forward to the next update.

Cheers, D
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Monday, December 01, 2014 - 07:42 PM UTC
Geoff,
You've made quite a lot of progress since your last post. The one engine really looks nicely detailed.

Looking forward to seeing your A-20J with some paint on it.
Joel
jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
Posted: Monday, December 08, 2014 - 12:31 PM UTC
Got the nacelles on and almost completed blending them in with the wings - just a little more work to do as there were some quite a significant gaps as well as a step on top were they join the wing. Next up to finish the engines and attach them, then it's pretty much time to lay on some colour....

jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
Posted: Sunday, February 22, 2015 - 05:21 PM UTC
Almost there just finishing off now....

jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
Posted: Monday, February 23, 2015 - 02:01 PM UTC
Standing on her own legs now with the first time....

Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Tuesday, February 24, 2015 - 11:12 PM UTC
Geoff,
Impressive to say the least. Excellent paint, decaling, and weathering. They always look so much better standing on their own feet.
Joel
jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:20 PM UTC
All done with number 1 for 2015

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:32 PM UTC
Congratulations! Now You know what to do
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Friday, March 06, 2015 - 08:46 PM UTC
totally agree! that thing is fabulous!
greif8
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bayern, Germany
KitMaker: 673 posts
AeroScale: 492 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 12:41 PM UTC
Your A20 is a real beauty Geoff!
AussieReg
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 8,156 posts
AeroScale: 3,756 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 02:51 PM UTC
Super work Geoff, love it!

Cheers, D
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, March 08, 2015 - 06:23 PM UTC
Geoff,

Your Havoc is excellent! Those landing gear looked great, as does your engines. Now I gotta find mine and build it.

There's an excellent book out there I read a decade ago: Wreaking Havoc: A Year in an A-20

Well worth the time to read it. Fascinating accounts of training and in-theater. Very well written!
jugjunkie
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Africa
Posted: Tuesday, March 31, 2015 - 06:06 PM UTC
Got that book thanks for the heads up Frederick - awesomeness!
Joel_W
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
Posted: Wednesday, April 01, 2015 - 09:43 PM UTC
Geoff,
What an impressive A-20J build. Love the paint scheme and your weathering. Very nicely done.
Joel
 _GOTOTOP