_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Would like to know if replacements
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 10:55 AM UTC
I've had a Czech Models 1/48 Me309 for a while. It was a used kit, in that some of the parts were clipped off the sprues, and the bag with the resin parts was opened up, but, otherwise it is a fairly nice kit. And so I put it on the shelf for a while.

Got the kit out last night, and started going through it. While everything is pretty much there, the little resin scissors for the landing gear struts are gone. Resin, and so small, I can understand that.

But, what I'd like to know, are there any aftermarket parts like those available?

Or, could I use the scissors off another German model of the same scale?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 12:34 PM UTC
You can find those oleo scissors and many more useful bits on the Eduard Bf 109G-10 photo-etch set.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 04:08 PM UTC
Which parts are those?

I've looked at the few photos of the 309 with at least one of the mains in full view(well, full enough) that shows the scissors on one leg, and they don't quite look like what one would expect oleo scissors to look like, and on the instruction sheet, what is supposed to be the scissors doesn't look as would be expected. Normally, oleo scissors look like a pair of tapered plates joined at the apexes by a simple hinge. On the 309, the scissors appear to be more like a pair of rods joined on one end with a really simple hinge point.

And I've worked on full size aircraft with oleo scissors.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Wednesday, October 15, 2014 - 05:42 PM UTC
Look at part 5 just to the left of the instrument panel. Those are BF 109 main gear oleo scissors, and it's a reasonable guess that Messerschmitt didn't change them very much when building the 309. You need to fold them at the narrow part and then glue the wider ends to the top and bottom of the oleo strut. You'll need to come up with one for the nose gear, but they're simple to make once you have an idea what they look like.

Or perhaps the Me 262 set might be easier? Look at parts 51 and 52 on the upper left of the fret.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 12:37 AM UTC
Ok, those on the 262 sheet look a lot more like what I'm trying to say than the 109 sheet.

I'm going to see about ordering that.

Thanks.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, October 16, 2014 - 08:38 AM UTC
I've been looking at finished Czech Model 309s, and paying especial attention to any views of the landing gear, and from what I've seen, the scissors on the 309 were basically two rods joined at the center with a hinge holding them, and the other ends anchored on the oleo strut. And not only that, but it would seem that there is a scissor on the nose oleo, although the kit instructions don't illustrate that.

As time marches on, curioser and curioser.
 _GOTOTOP