_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
My other big modelling project.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 08:35 AM UTC
Don't get too excited - it's not what you think.

The Mosquito build quickly took over my model room. I was working off of two work benches (I have one for building and one for painting), five TV trays and boxes strewn across the floor. I decided it was time to rethink how I was organizing things.

I couldn't justify more workspace, I don't have any more space to put a work surface that wouldn't remove display area - except this dark alcove under the stairs.

So I built a cabinet to organize everything as best I can!

One drawer in place - checking the structure to make sure it's square.

I built two styles of drawers - a slotted one because I tend to group parts by colour in various sized boxes, trays and jars. As well as one with 1/8" hard board for storing sprues - this way if parts fall off I'm not going to lose them. I'm also using these for loose parts.

The finished product. The drawers with only three 1x3s are the ones with hardboard - the plans for this cabinet were 2' by 17 pieces of 1x3 short, or they'd all have the slotted bottoms and some would have a hardboard base on top of those.

I can invert the top drawer to more the top surface up, or I might put an actual top on the cabinet. I can't decide!

Now to incorporate this into my routines so I don't expand again and risk annoying Vicky (my wife, who does an incredible job of putting up with me and my hobbies)
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 09:42 AM UTC
neat bit of carpentry there.
you could sell a kit-
many of us I reckon have stacks of cardboard boxes that tall
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 12:26 PM UTC
Oh make no mistake - I have a closet full of unbuilt models, this is just to hold my ongoing projects and tools that take up a lot of table space.

plans for the cabinet are available here.... just buy a hell of a lot more 1x3x8s
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 05:02 PM UTC
Looks great Matt, good solution. Still a bit clean though, will you be doing any weathering?
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Tuesday, September 09, 2014 - 05:54 PM UTC
A neat solution Matt and great workmanship I could have more worktop space but it would mean getting rid of my 40" Plasma TV!
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 01:55 AM UTC
Matt,
Your cabinet looks great. I just continually take the easy way out and buy those plastic storage cabinets, bins, and the like as I need more of them.

Joel
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 06:07 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Looks great Matt, good solution. Still a bit clean though, will you be doing any weathering?

Still filling seams. I might let this one age naturally.

Joel - I couldn't find any that closed properly, the one I have falls over every time I open or close a drawer lol.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, September 10, 2014 - 06:16 AM UTC
 _GOTOTOP