_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Finished! Eduard Spitfire Mk.IXc "Eleanor"
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 06:34 AM UTC
I built this kit at the same time I was working on my Accurate Miniatures P-51 "Betty Jean"; I wanted to try different techniques on each. This kit was built OOB with just a change of decals; I made no modifications or improvements the way I did with the P-51. My only references for the build were Eduard's instructions and Eagle Strike's "31st Fighter Group Spitfires", so any mistakes or inaccuracies are wholly my own doing.

On my P-51 I focused on salt weathering and filters, for this build I tried out liquid latex for masking the camouflage patterns. The latex worked great and was very easy to use. No weathering was done to the finish other than pre-shading the panel lines and then misting the colors on in light coats to build up the look I wanted. Colors used were all Model Master enamels (RAF Dark Earth, RAF Middlestone, RAF Azure Blue, RAF Interior Green). I added paint chipping with a silver Prismacolor pencil.

I airbrushed exhaust stains and gunpowder on the P-51 using Tamiya X-19 Smoke and XF-20 Medium Grey, here I tried pastels sealed with a very light mist of MicroFlat. Each has their use but I am partial to the pastels' subtle look.

Oil Streaks were added by putting a drop of oil-based burnt umber wash on the model and then blowing the drop along the airflow direction.

I am very happy with how "Eleanor" turned out. Eduard's Spitfire has to be one of the nicest kits I have ever built; the detail is just outstanding and doesn't need any aftermarket help in my opinion. I will definitely be grabbing another one to use the other Mk.IX markings in the 31st Fighter Group decals I bought, "Lady Ellen III" in the standard dayfighter scheme.

Thanks for looking!
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 07:09 AM UTC
Really a fine Spitfire, Paul. I do like your weathering.
SaxonTheShiba
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United States
KitMaker: 1,233 posts
AeroScale: 663 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 08:12 AM UTC
Paul----Beautiful Spitfire indeed. I just completed an Eduard Spitfire myself. It is really a great offering from the fine folks at Eduard. Once again, great work sir.

Best wishes,

Ian
MrMtnMauler
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Washington, United States
KitMaker: 224 posts
AeroScale: 223 posts
Posted: Monday, August 25, 2014 - 11:00 PM UTC
Paul, a most excellent build. Your camo scheme is spot on and the scale fade effect is very realistic. How did you mix your paints to achieve this and what proportions did you use if you don't mind my inquiry. Thank you for sharing your pics. Take care
Jim
PeeJay74
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Pennsylvania, United States
KitMaker: 425 posts
AeroScale: 401 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 02:33 AM UTC

Quoted Text

How did you mix your paints to achieve this and what proportions did you use if you don't mind my inquiry.

Jim,
I mixed the Dark Earth and Middlestone with Flat White, roughly 5:1 for each to get a pretty faded shade of the originals. The Azure Blue I mixed about 9:1 with Flat White, I was just going for scale effect there since it was on the underside and wouldn't be as faded. I thinned all of these about 50/50 using white spirits (all were enamels) and then misted them on in light coats, letting it set for a few minutes between each mist to slowly build up the colors. I had to be careful with it thinned that much not to get impatient and ruin it by spraying too heavily.

I should also mention the panels were all pre-shaded with Tamiya XF-1 black along lines and centers randomly sprayed with Tamiya XF-2 white.

EDIT: Oh, I painted out the roundels with 9:1 Dark Earth freehand to make it look "field applied". I tried straight DE but the contrast was way too much and it needed faded some. The painted over roundel under the port wing was straight Azure Blue using a mask.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 26, 2014 - 03:28 AM UTC
A very nice looking Spitfire. The paint job I like very much,
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Wednesday, August 27, 2014 - 03:47 AM UTC
Paul,
Simply outstanding !!

To me a display model is primarily all about the overall finished look. And your Spitfire IXc is just a perfect example of a OOB build that exceeds those expectations. Your camo paint scheme, and weathering is simply brilliantly executed. Your exhaust staining is a perfect example. Certainly not overly done, but it's there.

Well done my friend. Now get back to work on your F6F-5 Hellcat with those folded wings.

Joel
magnusf
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Stockholm, Sweden
KitMaker: 1,953 posts
AeroScale: 1,902 posts
Posted: Sunday, August 31, 2014 - 11:52 PM UTC
One magnificently nicely done Spitfire!

Magnus
tinbanger
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada