_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Have a question about a Condor kit
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Tuesday, August 19, 2014 - 04:14 PM UTC
I've started building the Condor kit of the He`178 V1 model, and have a question or more about it.

As I wasn't very familiar with it, but what little I knew intrigued me, when I found this kit, I thought that it'd be an enjoyable and interesting endeavor.

One question I have has to do with the cockpit.

I realize that the full size Heinkel was what would amount to a breadboard, a proof of concept, and that there wasn't much need for more than the basics needed to pilot it reasonably well(which would also depend on the pilot, too), but the cockpit would have at least a certain amount of instruments and other parts.

But the Condor kit is somewhat less than basic, and the two holes for the rudder bar and the joystick, as illustrated on the instruction sheet, aren't there.

So, I've been trying to find an illustration of some sort, perhaps even a cutaway(hopefully kind of in the realm of accuracy, although I'm not expecting expert accuracy), which I have found, and in an unlikely forum.

The forum I found was The Nostalgia Forum, in the Autosport section, and there are indeed cutaway drawings, ranging from the XF8U=3 to the Ilyshin Il54, to the He178 V1 and a few others.

What I'd like to know is are there any other illustrations, detail drawings or photos of the cockpit and related areas?

Part of this stems from the fact that I want to place the stick in a reasonably accurate location, and I'm also wondering if more could be done with it to make it look more right.

I mean, Condor supplied some nice PE parts, but, the location of the throttle quadrant does not jibe with the cutaway(not only does the drawing show it in a more logical location, on the left side of the pilot, as opposed to the right side and it looks like it's out of the pilot's reach, but the throttle quadrant itself doesn't jibe, as what Condor shown on the instruction sheet is a big boxy affair that seems to have more levers than would be needed for an experimental ship, and the two little boxes are just three sided, with no real area for the CYA adhesive to adhere adequately. and when I first saw those, my thought was to use card instead, shaping to fit).

But that's my current confusion, and quandry.

After looking at a number of other drawings which show the duct from the intake to the engine and tail, I'm also wondering if fashioning the duct wouldn't be too difficult, if only a bit of a way from the lip of the intake, instead of painting the inside black, or even taking a piece of card stock and blocking that off. A tube that isn't very round in cross section(it translates from the round intake to a flattened circle as it meanders under the pilot, and then transitions to a circle to the engine an on back.

It seems that what I though would be a relatively simple model isn't as simple as I had planned.

But then, what was it written, no plan survives the battle?
 _GOTOTOP