_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Have a question about the Lancaster
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 04:04 AM UTC
I've been trying to find out more about a particular Lancaster squadron that flew in the Summer of 1946, on a goodwill tour of the US.

The squadron was 35 Sqn.

What I'm trying to find out is the color scheme.

I have an article in the July, 2006 issue of Aeroplane, and there is a black and white photo of them flying, and it looks like they are white on top, and black on the underside, but being a B&W photo, I can't really be sure
Tango88
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 14 posts
AeroScale: 12 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 04:47 AM UTC
Hi, Max,
If you have access to the excellent Modellers Datafile MDF4 The Avro Lancaster (SAM Publications), there is a side profile (port) view of Lancaster B.1 (FE) TW657 TL-C of 35Sqn as painted for the US Tour in 1946. It also includes a detailed view of the Sqn badge that was painted below the windscreen on the port side (orange circle, black horse head with yellow wings). Unfortunately, the fuselage colours are not explicitly stated and although it's a "colour" profile the actual upper surface colour is not clear - could be white or light grey or even mid-grey! The under surfaces are black with the demarcation between colours low on the fuselage side (similar to that used on the B.1 Special carrying the TallBoy bomb). Aircraft codes and serial are in black on the fuselage side and white under the port wing. Elsewhere in the book there is also a scrap view of the Starboard upper wing roundel on this aircraft - post war 'C' type. Comparing the wing colour in the view to the roundel white, the upper surface is definitely grey, probably mid-grey!
Sorry I can't be more precise but hope this helps. Please let me know if I can help further.
Cheers, Ray
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 06:38 AM UTC
Thank you.

I don't have access to that, and will try to find a copy(is it out of print?), and will also try looking elsewhere, perhaps there are other photos.

I kind of like that color scheme, even if it is actually white on top, because it is fairly simple, and a bit out of what one normally sees Lancasters painted.

And not having much experience with the more paint schemes, such as camouphlage and others, I'm wanting to start simple.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 07:48 AM UTC
The scheme was white over gloss black; it was devised for use in the Pacific, but, after the surrender, they weren't needed, but kept the scheme, anyway. The codes are usually depicted as being black, but I can't say with absolute certainty.
Edgar
darreng
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 789 posts
AeroScale: 118 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 08:18 AM UTC
As Edgar says Gloss White over Gloss Black and codes in Black.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 08:18 AM UTC
Thank you.

I'm just getting started collecting information on this, starting with the Aeroplane issue I mentioned, and going from there, so I still have a ways to, although I'm also in the process of finding that appropriate kit.

I am partial to quarter scale, but, from what I've seen so far, kits of the Lanc in that scale are a tad dear, whereas 1/72 is a bit more economical.

But the more I look at that photo of the Lancs flying in formation, the more I like it.

The very first time I saw an actual Lanc was when my father took our family to visit his relatives in Windsor(I grew up in Detroit. My father came across the river to enlist in the Army just prior to the Korean War, and after his enlistment was up, he decided to stay, married my mother, raised six of us kids, and is now enjoying his sunset years in Florida), and we drove by, on the way to their place, a Lanc that was a gate guardian.

I remember thinking to myself that that was the prettiest and most awesome airplane I had ever seen, but then, being very young, I didn't have much of a set of standards.

But I did like it, and kept in the back of my mind of possibly modeling one some day.

Looks like that might be in the relatively near future.
darreng
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 08:52 AM UTC
I've been a life long fan of the Lanc since my late Grandfather told me stories about his exploits on Lancs when I was old enough to understand. He was aircrew on Lancs in 5 Group. So have always been interested in Lancs and Bomber Command in general.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 10:26 AM UTC
Well, I can't be quite as discriminating, because in real life, I'm a licensed A&P mechanic and so get to have my hands in the middle the really big models, the ones that actually carry human beings, so there are so many types to learn about and learn from(because after all, there are some very good reasons for some of the lumps and bumps in flying machines) to love and appreciate, and every day I learn more, even though I've been in the business for around 30 years so far.

And even though my day job is a very part time one at a small privately owned grass strip, I still get a lot of other contacts.
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 24, 2014 - 08:05 PM UTC
If you're wondering about the "gloss" part, it came about following experiments by the U.S., where it was found that, since searchlights were very directional, and hit the surface at an angle, the beam was reflected away from the light and its crew, so the aircraft was less likely to be seen than with a matt surface, which could reflect back some of the light.
Before the war's end, experiments had started, mainly on Halifaxes, with glossy paint; the white was probably just to deflect away some of the harsh Pacific sunlight.
Edgar
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 08:23 PM UTC
I have three articles that may be of interest to you:

Lancasters Post War Tiger Force

Lancaster Post war Schemes 1945-50

Anti-Searchlight Glossy Black 1943-63

PM me with your email address if you would like to read them.
darreng
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 08:55 PM UTC
I'd be interested in those articles too please Antoni
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Sunday, July 27, 2014 - 09:12 PM UTC
Need your email address
darreng
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, April 07, 2015 - 08:16 PM UTC
Antoni. If you still have these articles could you resend them to my email please? As I deleted them by mistake while clearing my inbox.
 _GOTOTOP