_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Want to ask something about the 1/32 Beaufigh
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 04:36 PM UTC
Recently, I found a deal on a 1/32 Revell Beaufighter that seemed to be a bit too good to refuse.

It was being offered for less than ten dollars, with the note that it might have a few parts missing, and had been started.

So, taking a deep breath, then taking a chance, I made the transaction, and got the kit in the mail a few weeks later.

Yes, it had been started, in that the whoever had it before had started removing pieces from the sprues, and had started to paint the engines with, what looks like, a brush and Testor's enamel, glossy black.

There was also a nice pe sheet, and a sheet of vacuformed parts.

And something else. One of the props was missing, all that was left were a couple blades, which the other prop was loose in what passed for the box.

While the box art was nice, the box itself was just about shredded, the kit, box and all, stuffed into another box, and that's how I received it.

Now, for just under 10 bucks, I think I got a reasonably nice deal.

The painted engines, well if I can't do anything about the black enamel on the cases, I can always get another pair of Hercules from some place like Vector.

But about the only problem I can see is the missing prop.

So I would like to know, where could I get another prop?

While the old standby of getting just any prop that could fit might be one way I used to do it when I was a lot younger and didn't know any better, but now, I wouldn't mind finding the right prop, so the finished model will look "just right", at least to me.

While I was waiting for my kit, I started doing some research, and have come upon a few that might suit me, including one of the night fighters, all black, which would look pretty spiffy to my eyes.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 04:53 AM UTC
You can strip paint by soaking the painted parts in brake fluid. I've used this technique before to strip a car body. Google is your friend - there are apparently a lot of paint strippers that work well and wont melt the plastic.

The obvious alternative is to paint over the paint that's already there. If there's a texture from being brush painted, you could always use some fine grit sandpaper (a nail file is often the easiest and cheapest solution) to smooth it out first.

As for the prop - check the instructions, Old Revell/Monogram kits always had a mail-away address you could write to for replacement parts. Just tell them you're missing one and they'll send you a replacement. I've never had a problem doing this with any manufacturer.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 07:06 AM UTC
Well, the paint is on kind of thick, but it doesn't have any kind of texture, so from what you said, I can just go over it with some sand paper, say a 320 grit.

I didn't know that they would do that, so I will.

Among the documentation I've been gathering, I found in the local Barnes and Noble something that Flypast published, an entire issue on the Beaufighter, and looks like a pretty extensive treatment on the aircraft, from its inception all the way through the war.
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 10:01 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I didn't know that they would do that, so I will.

Why not ask for two crank cases (or whatever got painted) while you're at it? Couldn't hurt.
JClapp
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Massachusetts, United States
KitMaker: 2,265 posts
AeroScale: 1,715 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 11:33 AM UTC
you got a great deal for $10.

an overnight soak in 91% isopropyl and a good scrub with an old toothbrush will restore the engine castings.

as to the prop, how about going with a spinning prop made of thin clear styrene sheet?

I rather like them

Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 12:31 PM UTC
Max, I have the props and engines from a wrecked Beau you can have. Just send me your address.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 12:33 PM UTC
Do you want me to reimburse you for postage and handling?
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 01:13 PM UTC
Let's wait and see what it comes out to first.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Thursday, July 17, 2014 - 02:08 PM UTC
I know, that's why I asked.

_GOTOTOP