_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Chasing wild Geese
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 10:33 AM UTC
I have been collecting information on the Grumman Goose for a future building project. I had started off with a kit, the Lindberg OA9, assuming that I'd be able to use this(what I plan is to build a model of one off the Geese that were used in the EDO hydrofoil tests), even though what they used were the JRFs, not the OA9s, thinking that there weren't many differences between the two.

Well, I finally got the biggest amount of information on this when I received my copy of Steve Ginter's Grumman Goose in their Naval Fighter series.

And inside was a 1/48 scale drawing of the Goose, a JRF, the profile, and when I compared the half hull of the Lindberg model, there were some significant differences, especially in the area of the fin.

For a while now, I've been digging as deep as I can in the internet to find more data on the Goose, including reasonably accurate 3 views, and didn't have any luck, and so waited until I got the Ginter book.

But now, I have to ask, what are the differences between the G21, G21A, the JRF, and the OA9?

The most I could find is the Wikipedia page, and that isn't very helpful, so I'm asking if anyone knows more about the development of the Goose, from the initial Grumman project G21 on forward.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 6,965 posts
AeroScale: 6,247 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 05:16 PM UTC
Wikipedia says:
G-21
Original production version, powered by two 450 hp (336 kW) Pratt & Whitney Wasp Junior SB engines, 7,500 lb (3,400 kg) gross weight. Six passengers. Twelve built, all converted to G-21A standards.
G-21A
Increased gross weight (8,000 lb (3,636 kg)). Thirty built
JRF-1
Production version of XJ3F-1. Five built for U.S. Navy.
OA-9
Transport and air-sea rescue amphibian for United States Army Air Forces. Twenty-six ordered in 1938, supplemented by five JRF-6Bs carrying the same designation.

The various designations fit the service which owned them, for the most part. All were broadly externally similar.

Here's an interesting little page.

If you can find one, I strongly recommend the Czech Model Goose rather than the Lindberg. It's much more accurate.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 10:17 PM UTC
Well, the Lindberg kit was all I could find, so far, so I had the thought that I could work with it, even though it has more than a few frustrating aspects about it, one of which being that the props would be more acceptable as pieces of lumber somewhere else, and all the rivets, everywhere, even on the props(who bucks rivets on a prop?) and they are exaggerated.

So, I'll try to find the Czech kit.

Still, what I was looking for specifically was a more indepth development history of the airframe as the different models progressed, because the shape of the fin and rudder on the Lindberg kit is markedly different from what the Ginter book shows, and if the fin didn't change much during the development, then whoever designed the mold for the kit I have must've been working from a set of drawings that kind of represented the bird, and not very accurate ones at that.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 12:26 AM UTC
That's typical for Lindberg; they don't concern themselves with outline accuracy much. They're a toy company rather than a serious scale model company.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 07:10 AM UTC
I've been noticing that.

Ah well, it's not like I've already embarked on the project, and deep into it have come to realize my mistake.

I'll just continue gathering the information I need(such as a maintenance manual on the Goose), which at the same time try to find the Czech Models kit.

Unless I get over eager to get started and go with a 1/72 scale model.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 07:59 AM UTC
Hi Max

Here's our (OK, my) take on the Czech Model kit: https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/review/463

You might also want to check out Jean-Luc superb build of the Signifer kit: https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/features/744

All the best

Rowan
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 08:15 AM UTC
Signifer of France also makes one in 1/48 resin. http://signifer.chez-alice.fr/uk.htm
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 09:33 AM UTC
Thanks.

I appreciate the links.

I'm not familiar with Signifier, and the 68 Euro price seemed kind of dear. However, I just checked in ebay, and there is a Signifier Goose for just over 40 dollars, which seems a bit more reasonable.

There is, as well, a 1/72 Goose from another kit manufacturer, Sword, and that's a bit more reasonable in price. Are you familiar with that kit? Has it been reviewed here? It too is a JRF, the kit being for the Coast Guard version.
Jessie_C
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 01:35 PM UTC
I have the Sword Goose, and also the Rareplanes vac kit. I'm busy this evening, but I'll try and put together a short in-thread review of it. For the moment, think of it as a 1/72 version of the Czech Model kit above.

Remember that every Goose could be a JRF if it wears Navy clothes, or an OA9 if it wears Army clothes, or Goose I if it wears RAF/RCAF/RN clothes. They were all pretty much the identical aside from some engine and radio differences which are meaningless in the scale we do things.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 01:52 PM UTC

Remember that every Goose could be a JRF if it wears Navy clothes, or an OA9 if it wears Army clothes, or Goose I if it wears RAF/RCAF/RN clothes. They were all pretty much the identical aside from some engine and radio differences which are meaningless in the scale we do things.[/quote]

Ok, that's what I suspected; the Lindberg kit kind of threw me with the fin/rudder of different shape, and this struck me as wrong, because were that the case, then there'd be other profiles and three views showing other shapes as the design progressed, as it does with so many other aircraft.
Mcleod
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alberta, Canada
KitMaker: 1,028 posts
AeroScale: 939 posts
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 02:30 PM UTC
Here's another fine resin Goose kit to go in the flock.

It is a very nice kit, and I feel its very accurate when compared with info in Ginters Goose book. This is another example of a kit with a review void here.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 06:41 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I'm not familiar with Signifier, and the 68 Euro price seemed kind of dear...

Hi Max

Actually, that's really not bad at all for a 1:48 resin kit of that quality of a twin-engine aircraft. They are pretty much hand-made and, having produced resin conversion sets myself in the past, I can vouch for the amount of work that goes into producing them. Resin kits certainly aren't an easy recipe for getting rich quick.

All the best

Rowan
Redhand
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Jersey, United States
KitMaker: 1,460 posts
AeroScale: 1,443 posts
Posted: Wednesday, July 16, 2014 - 08:17 AM UTC
I would add simply that I have their 1/48 SC-1 Curtiss resin Seahawk, and it is a very nice looking kit.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Monday, July 21, 2014 - 05:05 AM UTC
I realize that, but, at first glance, the price seemed a bit dear.

But then, a quality kits should command a price that reflects that, as with any venture, accuracy always come with an appropriate price.
 _GOTOTOP