_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Am asking for some help with this
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
KitMaker: 334 posts
AeroScale: 291 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 07:59 AM UTC
I am trying to find information on a Naval Air Station, in Johnsville, PA.

I have a single photo of a Curtiss SB2C painted overall yellow, and would like to use this for a scale model of the Helldiver.

I've been doing google searches, going as far as I can, but have been coming up empty.

The photo is on the cover of the Fall 1980 issue of the AAHS Journal.

While I've seen Helldiver models inn the dark blue color, and as an A25, painted olive green, but until I got this issue, never saw a Helldiver painted yellow, which is intriguing.

I think that, other than the national marking on the side, the star, and the location, N.A.M.U., Johnsville, PA in black, there doesn't seem to be any other markings, but I'm asking for some assistance just in case there are other markings on the other side that weren't photographed.
Antoni
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - East Midlands, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 574 posts
AeroScale: 573 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 08:13 AM UTC
http://www.helmo.gr/index.php?option=com_deeppockets&task=catContShow&cat=18&id=837&Itemid=35
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 09:10 AM UTC
Oh my god what a horrible looking thing. Looks like a bottle of French's Mustard.

(The scheme is horrible, not the skill of the builder)
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 09:19 AM UTC
Thanks.

I really appreciate that.

While I have had the issue of the AAHS Journal for quite some time, I had yet to buy a kit of the Helldiver, until just recently, when I was at the hobby shop to pick up some supplies, and found their discount kits, one of which was a 1/48 scale Nichimo kit that was rather old.

While the wings have the slats and perforated dive brakes molded in(now I have to start looking for some PE parts, and if I can't find a set of slats, I'll just have to live with that), otherwise the kit is nice.

On another subject, a few months ago, I bought a copy of Air Classics which had an article on Hellcats which were used after the War for testing, including remotely piloted drones, some of which were used in conjunction with a number of nuclear weapons tests.

Like the Helldiver, these were not the usual dark blue that so many Naval aircraft were painted but mostly red with some yellow. And while most of the Hellcats photographed had auxiliary tanks, some had no external tanks, but were rather eye catching, which had me thinking of still another project down the road.
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 10:31 AM UTC
Hi Max I believe that the brightly coloured Hellcats are available from Eduard or at least in decal form from some one but I can't remember who.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 10:37 AM UTC
Ok, I try looking in Hannants.

Do you think that they'd include the external tank, as from what I can see from the photos, this would be a tad difficult to scratch build, mostly because it has extra parts not normally associated with such an external tank(a could extra struts that would require extensive shaping if made of plastic card).
Littorio
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 4,728 posts
AeroScale: 1,351 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 10:54 AM UTC
Found it!

Alley Cat by A2Zee models do the decals in 1/72, 1/48 and 1/32 here most Hellcat kits should come with the drop tank unless for these test aircraft it was different.
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 12:26 PM UTC
Ok, thanks.

I really appreciate that, and now I'll have a point to start with.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Friday, July 04, 2014 - 05:35 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Oh my god what a horrible looking thing. Looks like a bottle of French's Mustard.

(The scheme is horrible, not the skill of the builder)

It certainly is an "eye catching paint scheme"
Gorgeous build though,
maxmwill
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Alabama, United States
Posted: Saturday, July 05, 2014 - 06:34 AM UTC
If a yellow Helldiver resembles a bottle of French's mustard, and is horrible, what about the J3 Cub?
 _GOTOTOP