_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
**New tool** Airfix 1/48 Spitfire Vb
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South East, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 84 posts
AeroScale: 76 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 04:29 AM UTC
Hi folks:

Hard on the heels of their big Tiffie moving off the modelling bench, came a very welcome test shot of a new tool Airfix Spitfire Vb.

All done now and set to appear in the next issue (August) of Airfix Model World, out on Thursday 3 July 2013.

Finished in one of the two box options - P.O. Robert Wendell "Buck" McNair, DFC, 249 (Gold Coast) squadron, Ta Qali, Malta, circa March 1942, the Middle Stone, of the finish the aircraft arrived in, over sprayed with 'a locally mixed grey'.

Thanks

Steve
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 04:36 AM UTC
Nice one Steve

I really do like the "heat-bleached" exhaust effect!

All the best

Rowan
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 04:51 AM UTC
That is stunning paint job Steve,very sun bleached and faded.
Not my favorite type of Spitfire, the tropical intake really messes up the line of the aircraft, but truly a great build,
TedMamere
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Moselle, France
KitMaker: 5,653 posts
AeroScale: 4,347 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 06:28 AM UTC
Hi Steve,

Excellent build and very interesting camo scheme...

Jean-Luc
Heatnzl
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Nelson, New Zealand
KitMaker: 480 posts
AeroScale: 478 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 07:04 AM UTC
Very, very nice.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 10:07 AM UTC
Steve,
That's one really excellent build of the new 1/48 scale Spitfire from Airfix. You didn't mention anything about the cockpit. How well detailed is it?
Joel
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 10:10 AM UTC
Cheers chaps!

Steve :-)
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 10:12 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve,
That's one really excellent build of the new 1/48 scale Spitfire from Airfix. You didn't mention anything about the cockpit. How well detailed is it?
Joel

Thanks for that.
It's a floor-less 29 parts Joel and a great rendition all round.

Best regards

Steve
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 10:37 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Steve,
Joel

Thanks for that.
It's a floor-less 29 parts Joel and a great rendition all round.

Steve.
Sounds very appealing. And the price should be less then the new Eduard kits. How can one go wrong.
Joel

Best regards

Steve

The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 11:14 AM UTC
One more image...

GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 12:47 PM UTC

Excellent work on what looks like an excellent kit. Did it have the annoying separate flaps?

Gaston
eclarson
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ohio, United States
KitMaker: 171 posts
AeroScale: 166 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 01:04 PM UTC
Lovely Spitfire Steve!

Airfix is really cranking out some beauties.

BTW, my F-4B will be in September's issue.

Cheers,
Eric
JPTRR
Staff MemberManaging Editor
RAILROAD MODELING
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Tennessee, United States
KitMaker: 7,772 posts
AeroScale: 3,175 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 01:07 PM UTC
Excellent looking model! Your finish is super. Aftre reading Spitfire V vs C.202 Folgore Malta 1942 I want one!
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 05:46 PM UTC
Steve, that looks stunning, I too love the heat effect of the exhausts, and overall an excellent paint job. Airfix really do seem to have gotten their act together, this looks to be very accurate Do you know who the designer is? I ask because I'm interested to know if Airfix have someone else, other than Sam (designer of the big Tiffie) who is also doing this great work I look forward to the mag

I'm surprised to see a Sky, rather than Azure Blue, under surface, if the original upper surface scheme was Dark Earth and Middle Stone? So did it actually arrive in Dark Earth and Dark Green?
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Sunday, June 29, 2014 - 08:16 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Steve, that looks stunning, I too love the heat effect of the exhausts, and overall an excellent paint job. Airfix really do seem to have gotten their act together, this looks to be very accurate Do you know who the designer is? I ask because I'm interested to know if Airfix have someone else, other than Sam (designer of the big Tiffie) who is also doing this great work I look forward to the mag

I'm surprised to see a Sky, rather than Azure Blue, under surface, if the original upper surface scheme was Dark Earth and Middle Stone? So did it actually arrive in Dark Earth and Dark Green?

Hi Mal:

The information supplied to me with the test shot states "McNair's aircraft was reported to have been delivered to Malta in Dark Earth / Mid Stone and Sky camouflage but to have later had the Mid Stone over-painted with a locally mixed 'dark grey' colour".

Now, I wondered whether this reference to 'Sky' meant Sky Blue or Sky Type S. The camo diagram was clearly 'S'. In tandem with this, I've had the Special Hobby kit SH48051 Spitfire Mk.Vc "Malta Defenders" for some time. The fourth option in the box is a Volkes fitted Vc / BR344 / 3-M, reportedly delivered to Malta on 9 May 1942, in Temperate Land Camouflage of Dark Earth and Dark Green uppers and Sky lowers. The 'Sky' is presented on the painting diagram as the 'beige green' depicted by Airfix.

Conventional wisdom dictates that a tropicalised Vb would be wearing Azure Blue (if delivered in DE and MS), in line with what your post was driving at. Entirely fair comment. However, both Airfix and Special Hobby seem to have at least some clue to an anomaly here and if there's one thing the Malta situation throws up - it's that there are large gaps in our knowledge of what was applied to some of these aircraft and that that will likely be the indefinite state of affairs going forwards.

Regrettably, I'm not privy to the intel Airfix base their MS contention on. To me, it seems (given the Special Hobby findings) more likely that McNair's Vb turned up in DG / DE and Sky but as I say, I'm yet to see the case for the defence m'lud.

In the final analysis, modellers are obviously free to go any alternate route they wish, while my role is to present it as Airfix intended and let things unfold from there. The McNair scheme 'as is' was my brief and its contrast with the usual expected tropicalised finish was certainly a draw to that anarchic side of my modelling persona I guess - tee hee.

I'm glad you brought it up. ;-)

Best regards

Steve
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 - 12:50 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Now, I wondered whether this reference to 'Sky' meant Sky Blue or Sky Type S. The camo diagram was clearly 'S'. In tandem with this, I've had the Special Hobby kit SH48051 Spitfire Mk.Vc "Malta Defenders" for some time. The fourth option in the box is a Volkes fitted Vc / BR344 / 3-M, reportedly delivered to Malta on 9 May 1942, in Temperate Land Camouflage of Dark Earth and Dark Green uppers and Sky lowers. The 'Sky' is presented on the painting diagram as the 'beige green' depicted by Airfix.

There was a Sky Blue, but Sky Type S is "Sky" the colour on your model. It would be very interesting to know if this aircraft was painted in the desert scheme with a Sky underside Personally I like this scheme so I will, if I ever get around to doing it, assume that the original scheme was DG/DE. No matter it looks cool and different. It would be interesting to see a photo of this aircraft that shows the serial; it looks to have been fairly crudely painted, judging by the decal. That is obviously because the original was over painted. If the code was not over painted, it may have been painted around, leaving a glimpse of the underlying colour. However it would be very difficult, if not impossible to discern, the colour from black and white photos.
Jonathan_Mock
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 24 posts
AeroScale: 23 posts
Posted: Monday, June 30, 2014 - 10:28 PM UTC
Photo of McNair's AB264 here:

http://249squadronraf.wordpress.com/2013/12/06/bucks-spitfire/

Also interesting is the pic at the top of the page with a Spit with a Vokes filter in a darker colour - discuss!

I seem to recall that "Malta Spitfire Vs - 1942: Their Colours and Markings" by Brian Cauchi suggests Sky undersides for AB264, though the book concedes ambiguity over the actual colours.
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 05:09 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Photo of McNair's AB264 here:

http://249squadronraf.wordpress.com/2013/12/06/bucks-spitfire/

Also interesting is the pic at the top of the page with a Spit with a Vokes filter in a darker colour - discuss!

I seem to recall that "Malta Spitfire Vs - 1942: Their Colours and Markings" by Brian Cauchi suggests Sky undersides for AB264, though the book concedes ambiguity over the actual colours.

Hi J:

Thanks for the image link. That photo also appears in #83 Osprey Aircraft of the aces ' Malta Spitfire Aces' on page 16.
The book also contains a number of shots of Vokes fitted Vs with Dark Mediterranean Blue or Extra Dark Sea Grey carried down on to the sides of the filter, leaving just the extreme lowers in (presumably) Sky Blue.
As I mentioned elsewhere, if I covered off the McNair option again, I'd do it with Sky Blue lowers, using a branded RLM 76 (like Gunze) as a start point and then weather it out from there.

Thanks again.

Steve
EdgarBrooks
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 397 posts
AeroScale: 384 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 10:06 AM UTC
Throughout 1941, the specified colours for undersurfaces on overseas aircraft were Sky or black.
In mid-1942 (after AB264 had been delivered,) overseas day fighters were ordered to be Sky or Azure Blue. Sky Blue is never mentioned.
Also in April 1942 the Air Ministry said that Malta's preferred scheme for Hurricanes was Mediterranean Blue (presumably Dark) over Sky.
The first delivery of Malta Spitfires was shipped to Gibraltar, then erected, loaded onto the carrier, and delivered.
If the sailing date, for the cargo ship, was imminent, there could easily have been insufficient time to do any top surface repainting before the aircraft were crated up.
Edgar
P.S. Incidentally, even though nobody has asked, removing the over-wing strakes, on AB264, is quite correct, since all the evidence points to them not being fitted before July 1942.
SteveAndrews
_VISITCOMMUNITY
KitMaker: 693 posts
AeroScale: 551 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 10:39 AM UTC
That's a beauty to be sure, and it shows how important weathering with an environment in mind is as opposed to general weathering or none at all. Great work Steve.

Steve(!)
Robbd01
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Arizona, United States
KitMaker: 791 posts
AeroScale: 213 posts
Posted: Monday, July 14, 2014 - 11:29 AM UTC
I am sure glad this topic is back in the limelight. I have been working on Sword's 70th Anniversary battle of Malta kit(my submission to the Club Med campaign now on Hanger Queen IV) and have been waffling on how to paint the spit. I am going to do GL*J BR-321 as it was 6-7 June '42. From what I have dug up it was originally paint the desert scheme with the Azure Blue undersides, crated up (Glasgow) and then shipped to Gibraltar where it was assembled and supposedly the topside(s) were over sprayed with either Dark Sea Grey or Extra Dark Sea Grey. Then it was put on a carrier and sent to Malta. So now you have added another 'option' to this Malta Blue Spit theory (conspiracy) that only the offending Middlestone was over painted. I await the vast wisdom of this site to enlighten me on this topic.
Oh nicely done Spit. Hats off to Airfix again

Cheers

The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 02:31 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Throughout 1941, the specified colours for undersurfaces on overseas aircraft were Sky or black.
In mid-1942 (after AB264 had been delivered,) overseas day fighters were ordered to be Sky or Azure Blue. Sky Blue is never mentioned.
Also in April 1942 the Air Ministry said that Malta's preferred scheme for Hurricanes was Mediterranean Blue (presumably Dark) over Sky.
The first delivery of Malta Spitfires was shipped to Gibraltar, then erected, loaded onto the carrier, and delivered.
If the sailing date, for the cargo ship, was imminent, there could easily have been insufficient time to do any top surface repainting before the aircraft were crated up.
Edgar
P.S. Incidentally, even though nobody has asked, removing the over-wing strakes, on AB264, is quite correct, since all the evidence points to them not being fitted before July 1942.

I need a 'Thanks again, Edgar' quick key on my Mac...
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 02:32 AM UTC

Quoted Text

That's a beauty to be sure, and it shows how important weathering with an environment in mind is as opposed to general weathering or none at all. Great work Steve.

Steve(!)

Thanks Steve - much appreciated.

Best regards

Steve
The_Doctor
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Posted: Tuesday, July 15, 2014 - 02:35 AM UTC

Quoted Text

I am sure glad this topic is back in the limelight. I have been working on Sword's 70th Anniversary battle of Malta kit(my submission to the Club Med campaign now on Hanger Queen IV) and have been waffling on how to paint the spit. I am going to do GL*J BR-321 as it was 6-7 June '42. From what I have dug up it was originally paint the desert scheme with the Azure Blue undersides, crated up (Glasgow) and then shipped to Gibraltar where it was assembled and supposedly the topside(s) were over sprayed with either Dark Sea Grey or Extra Dark Sea Grey. Then it was put on a carrier and sent to Malta. So now you have added another 'option' to this Malta Blue Spit theory (conspiracy) that only the offending Middlestone was over painted. I await the vast wisdom of this site to enlighten me on this topic.
Oh nicely done Spit. Hats off to Airfix again

Cheers

Thanks Robbie - It's a fascinating subject for sure and one I'm glad Edgar is engaged in...
 _GOTOTOP