_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Some pictures of my latest Bf109G
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
KitMaker: 189 posts
AeroScale: 142 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 07:27 AM UTC
This is Revells molding from the mid 90's. Some flash and some areas are lacking a bit in detail, but I built it mainly to try out some painting techniques with my airbrush.

Decals from Revell, they were thin and good color, but tended to silver a lot, and a few were off register. I supported them with a few left-overs from an Airfix kit (i.e. Cartograf decals) and Swastikas from Kopro (Revell being German leaves them off the sheet.)

The aircraft is finished as "Rot 22" (W.Nr.770351) 10./JG27, Hesepe, Germany, March 1945. Revells descripion of the profiles is lacking in accuracy but i used Google-Fu. (The other decal choice is as far as I can tell pure fantasy, with a non-existant Werk.Nr. and being from JG7 who at this time only used Me262s and Fw190s, never Gustavs)

I didn't make a lot of fuss replacing lacking details, just drilled out the air intake,made a seat harness and added some other bits and bobs in the cockpit.

Bonus pic: The Droptank, Heinz and Hansi was a bit sloppy when filling it.

Thank you for looking!
cnq007
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 102 posts
AeroScale: 102 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 12:08 PM UTC
very nice work.
Joel_W
Staff MemberAssociate Editor
AUTOMODELER
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New York, United States
KitMaker: 11,666 posts
AeroScale: 7,410 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 12:41 AM UTC
Very nice build of a rather old kit.
Joel
stooge
_VISITCOMMUNITY
South Australia, Australia
KitMaker: 210 posts
AeroScale: 210 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 01:01 PM UTC
At this stage Heinz and Hansi would not have been sloppy, they would have been lucky to have enough to fill the tank. Any splashes would have been mopped up and rung out into to the tank. Fuel was very very scarce and strictly controlled.
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 02:45 PM UTC
It's a truth with some modifications. In Rudels book he describes how some airfields had a good supply of fuel, while others was "dry as a desert" to the point that some pilots willfully "missed" on their navigation and landed on airfield where they knew they would get a full tank.

It was quite often more of a logistical problem rather than a lack of resources. As late as mid-April US forces in Germany came across German fuel dumps they were happy to plunder. (But unlike the Russians they were more picky on the octane.)
GastonMarty
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Quebec, Canada
KitMaker: 595 posts
AeroScale: 507 posts
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 08:20 PM UTC

A very interesting insight into the fuel situation on German airfields... Thanks!

For large armoured operations the fuel problem must have been more severe by 1945 however: I heard of 1000 German tanks being massed in one area of the Eastern front as late as 1945 (an amazing display of strength), and their massed power being ineffective in the end because of a lack of fuel (not because of Soviet aviation)... Nothing more specific than that, but illustrative nonetheless... Maybe the fuel was available, but could not get to to where they were...

Gaston
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 03:18 AM UTC
My father (born 1937) told me taht after the liberation of Norway, my grandfather got hold of a oil drum filled with german petrol from the old airfield at Fornebu, for instance.

The main problem for Luftwaffe (and the other parts of the German war-machine) was that with allied air superiority, transportation of any goods along rail or road was hazardous. So they could have solid fuel deposit in deep underground tanks, but getting it to the airfields or armoured columns was difficult.

But it is true that there was a shortage from the winter 1944 onwards, once they lost control of the oil fields in Rumania. But they still had large amounts of brown coal and had industry to produce liquid hydrocarbons from this. (Not very difficult, but usually not profitable in ordinary circumstances.) See this link for more details on the prosess:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_fuel
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 03:25 AM UTC
A very good build Eirik,great camo.
I must get around to building the 109-G I reviewed here last year,
SuperSandaas
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Sør-Trøndelag, Norway
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 05:11 AM UTC
The paint is mostly Agama and I though at first their RLM83 was a bit to brownish, but it looks pretty good when finished. I've noticed their paints dries both more flat and a bit lighter when airbrushed that when I use a brush, so I have to get used to it.
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 05:14 AM UTC
Brush or airbrush can make a big difference in final appearance, IMHO due to the thickness of the paint layer.
Smokey green brown looks good to me though
 _GOTOTOP