_GOTOBOTTOM
World War II
Discuss WWII and the era directly before and after the war from 1935-1949.
Hosted by Rowan Baylis
Grems 1/24th Typhoon build
Gremlin56
KitMaker: 3,897 posts
AeroScale: 564 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 06:55 AM UTC
With great trepidation I am starting off my 1/24th Typhoon blog here among all you aviation experts. At the moment I am very fiercely anticipating the release of what is IMHO the most sexy ground attack aircraft ever built. Who could resist anything that caught fire when starting the engine, suffocated the pilot because the exhaust system evidently didn't work properly and which had a tail section that tended to fall off.
Apart from these minor gripes it was able to kick the German Armour right up the Khyber and prove itself to be an unmissable support for the ground units engaged in combat after Normandy.
At the moment I am collecting some extra odds and ends to pretty up the OOB model.
I have bought Mig's AK RAF colour set:

No prizes for guessing which paint producer made these mixes for Mig.

I also bought the sets of Airscale instrument and cockpit placard decals:

The Master Model 1/24 Hispano cannon set originally designed for the Airfix Moquito will do service in the Typhoon too:

Even in 1/24th scale a rather hefty piece of armament.

I have a few more wishes but at the moment I have to wait patiently for Airfix to start shipping the model.

cheers,

RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
KitMaker: 3,959 posts
AeroScale: 598 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 02:02 PM UTC
Hooray!

watching with interest, Julian
SpeedyJ
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Bangkok, Thailand / ไทย
KitMaker: 1,617 posts
AeroScale: 212 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 04:32 PM UTC
I'm also very interested, waiting for my Spitfires Mk.IX from Eduard. Have fun Julian.

Robert Jan
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 05:14 PM UTC
Hi Russell, Robert Jan,
The main thing missing at the moment is the Typhoon
Estimates on availability range from mid June to the beginning of July so there won't be much happening here yet.
Gives me time to finish the Hornet.
Holdfast
Staff MemberPresident
IPMS-UK KITMAKER BRANCH
_VISITCOMMUNITY
England - South West, United Kingdom
KitMaker: 8,581 posts
AeroScale: 4,913 posts
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 06:11 PM UTC
A nice start Julian I must get on with mine
Gremlin56
Posted: Saturday, June 14, 2014 - 07:30 PM UTC
Good morning Mal,
Just brandishing the add-on goodies at the moment.
Still, site for the build is staked out and ready so just a case of (im)patiently waiting
I have been popping in to look at your build and will of course be following it.
Cheers,
Julian
bdanie6
_VISITCOMMUNITY
New Hampshire, United States
KitMaker: 615 posts
AeroScale: 459 posts
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 12:27 AM UTC
Good afternoon Julian. I'm so glad you decided to come into the light. I will be following your build here with as much envy (as in "Boy I wish I was that good")as I have been watching the Hornet build over at Model Shipwrights.

Later
Gremlin56
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 01:36 AM UTC
Hi there Bruce,
thank you. It's a question of being more out of my comfort depth building a huge aircraft here at Aeroscale than building a model ship at MSW A different approach to building and weathering is required IMHO. We'll see how it works out.

RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Sunday, June 15, 2014 - 09:49 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Hi Russell, Robert Jan,
Estimates on availability range from mid June to the beginning of July so there won't be much happening here yet.

Hi All

I haven't done many wingy thingies in recent years, and those I have, have been all 1/72 kits, just for fun and a break from salty subjects-but this release from Airfix sure has me seriously considering this outlandish purchase-if I can somehow get it past Mrs E....
DanielMoscatelli
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Montevideo, Uruguay
KitMaker: 998 posts
AeroScale: 20 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 03:13 AM UTC
Congratulations for all this material!!!!! Forward my friend here we will be doing a noisy group fans!! Jajajaj

Daniel
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Hi Russell, Robert Jan,

Hi All

I haven't done many wingy thingies in recent years, and those I have, have been all 1/72 kits, just for fun and a break from salty subjects-but this release from Airfix sure has me seriously considering this outlandish purchase-if I can somehow get it past Mrs E....

Outlandish yes, but I think if there is ever a model of an aircraft that you have to buy this is in the must have selection, (including Tamiya's excellent 1/32 Spitfires, Mustangs and corsair). Airfix have evidently really gone to town on this model, snap it up.
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 04:20 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Congratulations for all this material!!!!! Forward my friend here we will be doing a noisy group fans!! Jajajaj

Daniel

Thanks for the support Daniel, really great
RussellE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Victoria, Australia
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 09:46 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Daniel

Thanks for the support Daniel, really great

There'll be many fans following you over from the salty side to watch this one Julian No doubt, we'll be making a lot of noise as usual

Good set of AM kit so far, but from what I hear, not much is needed on this kit, making it good value in a sense... (Just gotta keep justifying purchasing one to myself...

Now, where to put it? Any ideas?
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
KitMaker: 771 posts
AeroScale: 763 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 01:58 PM UTC
Hey Julian, I'll be joining you soon - I'm just finishing off my 1/24th scale Mosquito.

Promise me you wont build faster than me - I can be pitifully slow sometimes lol.
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 05:09 PM UTC

Quoted Text

There'll be many fans following you over from the salty side to watch this one Julian No doubt, we'll be making a lot of noise as usual

Good set of AM kit so far, but from what I hear, not much is needed on this kit, making it good value in a sense... (Just gotta keep justifying purchasing one to myself...

Now, where to put it? Any ideas?

Replacing the Hispano barrels was more about strengthening things really. Only extra I might splurge on now is a set of seat harnesses.
Where to put this monster when finished? Lord knows.... I still have about a meter of USS Hornet to park somewhere
Gremlin56
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 05:12 PM UTC

Quoted Text

Hey Julian, I'll be joining you soon - I'm just finishing off my 1/24th scale Mosquito.

Promise me you wont build faster than me - I can be pitifully slow sometimes lol.

Hi Matt, I have the impression there will be a lot of Typhoon builds going on here. Will be fun to see different styles and techniques being applied on the same model. I wouldn't bother about build speed either
Dragon164
_VISITCOMMUNITY
British Columbia, Canada
KitMaker: 1,909 posts
AeroScale: 508 posts
Posted: Monday, June 16, 2014 - 10:18 PM UTC
Julian,
These are very nice seat belts.

http://www.radubstore.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=89&products_id=459

Cheers Rob.
Gremlin56
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 04:19 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Thanks Rob,
I was aware of Radu's store, have ordered his Scribe-R and other tools. Great stuff. I wasn't aware of his Sutton harness so I will probably be ordering that,
Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Tuesday, June 17, 2014 - 09:06 AM UTC

Quoted Text

Quoted Text

Thanks Rob,
I was aware of Radu's store, have ordered his Scribe-R and other tools. Great stuff. I wasn't aware of his Sutton harness so I will probably be ordering that,

If you check out my 1/24th Mosquito build on these forums I used a pair of them.

You will want to pick up his micro saws too, the small pieces WILL break when you detach them from the sprue if you use conventional cutters or a knife.Note you'll also need the medium width handle.
Gremlin56
Posted: Wednesday, June 18, 2014 - 02:48 AM UTC
Hi Matt,
these magnificent little blades you mean:

Bought these about a year ago from Radu. Great stuff I can really recommend. Received word this morning from Radu that the Sutton harness is underway to Holland.

Scrodes
_VISITCOMMUNITY
Ontario, Canada
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 01:41 PM UTC
LOL yes those would be the ones.

We all like to think that we have the best stash of cool tools - sometimes I forget that people other than my Uncle and I have these things.
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 05:22 PM UTC

Quoted Text

LOL yes those would be the ones.

We all like to think that we have the best stash of cool tools - sometimes I forget that people other than my Uncle and I have these things.

never mind could be a tip for someone who hasn't heard of Radu's blades.
I noticed on Axel's Modellbaushop that the Typhoon ETA has been changed to the end of July so I think I will be putting this thread into a "hibernation" mode until the model finally puts in an appearance and will be concentrating on my "30 seconds over Tokyo" thread at Model Shipwrights, finishing my 1/200 USS Hornet.
Merlin
Staff MemberSenior Editor
AEROSCALE
_VISITCOMMUNITY
United Kingdom
KitMaker: 17,582 posts
AeroScale: 12,795 posts
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 07:43 PM UTC
Hi Julian

Eagle Editions have announced two sets of alternative Tiffie markings ready for when the kit comes out:

https://aeroscale.kitmaker.net/news/17074

All the best

Rowan
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 09:40 PM UTC
Thanks for the "heads up" Rowan, I'll bear this in mind when I finally decide which Typhoon I want to depict. I did see a fantastic motto painted on the intake scoop of a Typhoon which ran something like : "If the engine catches fire on start up don't stand and wave at me but try and put the b****y fire out".
Now that would be a magic add on. I'll try and find the photo and put it up here.
Cheers,
Julian
Gremlin56
Posted: Thursday, June 19, 2014 - 10:01 PM UTC
This is Typhoon I mentioned above, I like the general appearance and it's rather colorful too:

I hope that Profile Publications don't take affront to my posting the drawing here.

_GOTOTOP